TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im assemblling a TW, wiring came in a box. I have done what I can to connect the loom. I dont have a battery as yet but wish to see if I can obtain spark and start the bike without a battery connected. It is a kickstart model. Should I be able to obtain spark? Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Roostfezza,
Yeah, back a while ago, I posted a thread on diminishing spark as I cranked the engine. That is, when I pulled the plug, and grounded it, then cranked the engine with the electric starter and, it would spark for about two sparks, then, disappear. Well, I got quite a few replies stating I needed a NEW BATTERY. It took about 15 replies before a gent chimed in that was a Yamaha tech from a company in Canada and stated, the same thing Purple did. That is, the CDI is what provides juice, to get amplified by the coil to, create spark. He also stated that you could take the battery completely out of the bike, and it will still start. Obviously you'd need to either push the bike or, kick start it if you had/have a kick starter.
Scott

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent scott. Well after sorting the sidestand cut out, I have spark! (No battery). I havent started it yet as I have a fuel tap leak, but I was so happy! I do seem to have a problem with kickstart, it does not seem to fit correctly, but i can kick it enough to see that spark!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Roger that, glad you're making progress. It' so rewarding to see that spark. Now, take care of your gas issue and, you should be off and running!!!!
Scott

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shes now a runner!! So good to have it going. Have to buy a chain to ride it. Almost there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts