TW200 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I do apologize to Admiral for sneaking some side conversation in. I don't make a habit of such a thing. However, It does appear that there are others that do have an interest in the little guys. RC stuff's come a long way in the last few years. I won't say much more other than, to see how much they've progressed, take a brief look at these two vids. What a crack up. Again, sorry Admiral.
Scott

wow, i could really get into something like that

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Used to take my R/C car downhill night skiing under lights.
My 2-stroke and electric R/C boats ate whitewater rapids and occasionally got eaten themselves.
Best buddy's dog caught one of my boats once as it ran out of power...totally crunched it, he was a very proud dog afterwards. With cars the dogs usually just tear off a tire when they catch them.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Hold your horses there grewen, The days are all Mother Natures and we are all just passing through them. I totally get where you are coming from but we all are just living for a short time in her world. We can't depend on the weather predictors and we damn sure have no real clue what tomorrow will bring. I want to go ice fishing but there is no ice. Some want to go ride their TWs but there is just too much snow. Half the time when I can ride my bike the weather beats me and the very next day when I have other commitments and can't ride it is a perfect day to ride. Mother Nature is for sure a beautiful bitch but we really can't bitch about her. When we get snow the snow skiers and snowmobilers lover her and the bikers hate her. When we get cold and ice the ice fisherman love her and the commuters hate her. Here in my county the superintendent of highways prays for good weather and the guys working for him pray for bad and overtime. One man's trash is another man's treasure so just take it as it comes and be happy you are here to deal with it. Fair has nothing to do with anything in this life and the weather you saw when you woke up can change in less than a heartbeat. More than a few times I have sat in my house watching it pour rain in the backyard and at the same time be bright and sunny out in the front yard. That just means go south for a nice ride. Some days here it is bright and sunny and I go down the mountain to my brothers house into miserable weather but 10 degrees warmer in just 5 miles.
Move to AZ or CO and you can go snow skiing in the morning and then sit by you pool in the afternoon in 80 degrees with a cocktail.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I sure heard you Reddave. Here in the southern NY Catskills we have no snow and the ice we did have is now gone. My icefishing gear has been parked and ready since mid December and not one outing yet. We have 2 trips planned for the end of this month and beginning of February and they appear to be on the chopping block with 50 and 60 degrees all last week. I do see a few brave or dumb soles out on very thin ice but no fish is worth my life. Cold looks like it will be arriving next week but who knows for how long or how cold it will get. It does piss me off the new forum deleted where we are all from so we no longer know where any of us are. Pretty sure Admiral is in Idaho but here on the east coast we have been in unseasonably warm weather so far. My wife just lost her job after 16 years due to company reorganization and near bankruptcy and I need ice just so I can get away and have a little peace.

GaryL
Sorry about the news on your wife Gary. My suggestion. Drop a few cubes of the frozen stuff in a glass and pour yourself a nice scotch! Rinse glass and repeat until you feel better.

Tom

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Admiral, maybe get the Mrs a game camera for Valentine's day and at least get interesting elk and photos whatever else passes by for some wintertime entertainment.
Dryden T-Dub gave me one and I am hooked.
Don't get images as crowded as this though.
cats.jpg

WATCH: 5 mountain lions spotted together in rare viral video ...
https://www.news965.com › news › national › watch-mountain-lions-spotted-together-ra...

Wonder what they are staring at? Last two days I've passed small deer herds all staring at something in the distance and it ain't me.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sure makes me glad I live in motorcycle paradise. Gotta really Love where you are to cope with that stuff. Getting too old to be cold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely not the only one. There usually comes a point in winter when I can't take it anymore. My wife looks at me like I'm some wacko, but I put all my snow/cold weather stuff on and attempt to ride wherever I have the snow cleared. This year I'm plowing the entire yard so when I get to that point maybe it'll be a little more satisfying.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Definitely not the only one. There usually comes a point in winter when I can't take it anymore. My wife looks at me like I'm some wacko, but I put all my snow/cold weather stuff on and attempt to ride wherever I have the snow cleared. This year I'm plowing the entire yard so when I get to that point maybe it'll be a little more satisfying.
Maybe you could pack some snow down hard in an oval so you can flat track and slide around the corners straight up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey reddave - 20 min, drill driver & box of sheet metal screws & you'll be ice ready. We should hunt this Telluride TW rider down & coordinate some nearby Ophir, Black Mtn., Engineer & Imogene Pass rides this summer.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Couldn't have been more impressed than when I pulled into Telluride to check-in & saw this winter-ready TW parked on Main St.
I've tried sheet metal screws on the TW but it didn't work to my satisfaction. Seemed squirrely on pavement and actually slipped on hard ice. Worked on very hardpack snow. I abandoned that experiment. I thought I had pictures but can't find them.

I've used tire chains on the rear with some success as long as the snow isn't too deep. In deep snow it doesn't matter what you used, the TW just don't want to go very good. Problem with good traction on the rear with tire chains, it really emphasizes how bad the front is, ie. pushes the front without any real steering ability.

I thought I had "the fix" for the push problem. I think it could work but with the setup I used it was a fail. I tried though.
I used a steel snowmobile ski and I think this idea may work better with a plastic ski.

I've given some thought to using "outrigger" skis, one on each side which would keep me from falling over which is the biggest problem. Also thought of the outrigger training wheels like they have on the small kids bikes.

One other thought I had was to come up with a lightweight sidecar type contraption. This would keep me from falling over and I could take the trash down to the dumpster.

These last couple of thoughts are still just thoughts though and I've taken no action. Probably doesn't help an ATV is available and I don't mind riding it when the roads are nasty. ...and it's four wheel drive. Still, I may dabble in the outrigger ski and sidecar idea down the road.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Reminds me of a Mad Magazine parody of a Mechanics Illustrated article that explained how to make a file out of a screwdriver and then cut teeth into the side to make a saw. Then they advised, if necessary, one could grind off the teeth, mark intervals along the now toothless saw and make a ruler. Ingenious!

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Was recently given a set of tire chains for my stock tired TW, but seem to have run out of snow to experiment in.
Wouldn't be anything studly like TomT though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been running tire chains all winter with good success hardest part is getting the things on the chains i got are a 2 space so they are pretty tight. They do quite well on ice, and traction in off road snow is awesome. And the DR650 in the picture has studs his on road is good but off road not so much.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
County may just leave this sign up year round, not just for when snow closes interstate and Silicone Valley types are looking for any way home so they can resume work on paying off their mortgages
768D52B5-D7EA-42E1-9A4B-CC15F2517517.jpeg

21 - 38 of 38 Posts