TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been riding some rough single track the past few weekends. On a couple of the really steep rocky hills when I was losing my momentum I would hear what seemed like cam chain noise, sometimes a solid knock when I killed it. That concerned me but after cooling down again the bike seemed fine.
What concerns me now is while unloading after my adventure yesterday I noticed a tick or knock noise while pushing the bike in neutral.
Btw it's a 2014 stock except for air mixture screw. 490 miles with oil changes at 75 miles and 250.
Anyways listen to this video and see what you think. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The fast clicking is normal the slow clicking is not. Look in from the back to see if a rock or something got caught near or on your front sprocket.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
It sounds like something chain related. Is your chain properly adjusted and lubed?

If you still have the rear wheel safely supported off the ground, try starting the engine in neutral and use the rear brake to keep the rear wheel from turning. Any noise?

Now release the rear brake. Your rear wheel should start turning. Any noise?

Now put the tranny into first gear and release the clutch. The rear wheel should start turning. What do you hear?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure the noise is coming out of the gear box. But out of hopes its not ill jack it up again and try it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I thought you were on to something Brian, maybe you are. The all to familiar " is the chain properly adjusted and lubed?"
I scoffed at first, then checked. Well I was off by one click on the snails.
Feeling happy that might be it and I was an idiot I quickly readjusted and jacked it up again. Same noise.
Started the bike put it in gear and let the wheel spin can't really hear it. But when I brake and slow the motor down you can feel it clunking.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Could have. The front sprocket is on a spline shaft and there is a little bit of play within the groove that holds the sprocket with the keeper on. It will slap back and forth within that groove. You may also want to take a long nosed oil can and try and get some oil between the sprocket and shaft.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
That makes sense. one can see something inducing unusual vibrations in the visible portion of the chain itself, likely from the front sprocket.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Good luck to you. I thought you were on the road to having it straightened out. Still the knock persisted eh?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It surely sounds like chain noise to me, are any of the links stiff? Also what is the condition of the front sprocket? Are the teeth straight or hooked?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah sprockets are good chain is good. Dropped it off yesterday, they said it should be covered by warranty but it'll be a week till I know anything.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Just before you stall the engine on a steep hill you will hear a loud knock from the momentary lugging. This is not good for the engine and you should try to get the clutch in ASAP when you hear that. I'm not sure about the other noise but cam chain slap is a possibility because everything inside is bouncing around from the severe lugging.

IN neutral with the engine off, that noise is not normal and could indicate damage from the severe lugging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I called the dealership on Monday and they told me they listened to the bike and the noise was normal. I insisted that it was not normal and talked them into checking it again.
Well after another week of waiting I called them
and again they checked it out supposedly, and gave it clean bill of health.
Just got home with it and while rolling it around in the garage the " normal" noise persists.

·
Super Moderator
5,316 Posts
That noise is far from normal, in fact, if my TW was making that noise, I wouldn’t ride it until I’d found what was causing it.

Listening to it on the video, it seems to coincide with each revolution of the front sprocket – almost as though the chain “jumps”. Now this could be as obvious as a broken tooth on the front sprocket, or it could be deeper, like inside the gearbox itself.

Looks like it’s time to go in after it – as the dealership has proved themselves “useless” at best.

If you can’t find an alternative mechanic at a shop – then you’ll need to do this yourself. My recommendation is going to be two-fold. Firstly you need to confirm whether the problem is inside or outside the engine. This involves dropping the left hand crankcase cover as if for a regular front sprocket change. There are plenty of articles on here on how to proceed, you’ll be better off dropping the oil, and take care removing the gasket (it may be re-useable).

Then, with the chain still in place, you should be able to rotate the wheel to duplicate the noise. (Keep your fingers where they belong – on your hands – too many people have lost digits being careless with this stuff).

Watch carefully for movement of the front sprocket coinciding with the clicking noise. This will tell you if either the sprocket or the shaft splines are shot.

If everything seems OK, then (real careful here), place one finger on the inside of the shaft and rotate the rear wheel again. There’s not much room to get your finger in there between the sprocket and the engine, you may choose to use something more disposable than one of your fingers – watch out for the shaft jumping each revolution (this means “watch your finger” as the shaft is likely to jump).

If the “jump” is on the shaft rather than the sprocket (you should be able to "feel"it), it’s the gearbox – probably one tooth missing somewhere. This means a complete engine tear down, best done by a professional.

Be careful putting it back together for the “professional” – especially the stator wires. The magnets on the stator will try to “pull you in”, resulting in the wires getting pinched if you’re not careful.

Best of luck – hope this has helped ……………

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah Plaza Cycle in Salt Lake has definitely earned two thumbs down. They seemed kind of bothered to even spend any time w it. The first time they looked at it they said they warmed it up real good and took it through the lot a few times and nothing was wrong. I told them it had nothing to do with the engine and in fact the engine needed to be off to hear it. I asked them to lift the bike and spin the wheel to hear the sound coming from the gear box. He asked me which wheel to spin.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts