TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Umm, yeah I’m a Georgia boy so I’m very very familiar with this:
How the #}@$$& do you unfreeze a bike??? I’d love to go ride in the snow because I never have but even after chipping the ice off the ignition lock so I could get the key in the lock is frozen. What sort of wicked torture is this? If I could start the bike the engine heat will unmelt it, but I can’t start it! Not cool.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
How the #}@$$& do you unfreeze a bike??? I’d love to go ride in the snow because I never have but even after chipping the ice off the ignition lock so I could get the key in the lock is frozen. What sort of wicked torture is this? If I could start the bike the engine heat will unmelt it, but I can’t start it! Not cool.
Borrow a hair dryer or use a heat gun like the kind used for stripping paint. A bic or similar lighter stick will work as well. Heat the lock cylinder slowly AND heat the metal body of the key. Any of these ideas should work in 5 minutes or so.

Tom

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, parking outdoors... Never did it with any of my motorcycles.

But I think maybe throwing a tarp over it, AND, setting up a electric space heater under it too, make a heated tent to thaw the entire bike.

Just don't burn it down!!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Well, if you are very, very familiar with this, you would probably already know that unless you have a solid, but not melted and frozen base layer (could be dirt) with a few inches of light snow, it's pretty much like riding on ice....good luck getting more than ten feet before crashing. (Unless you have studded tires). Consider your frozen lock a blessing. :eek:

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
You parked your bike upside down and all the gas ran out of the gas tank and carburetor. Of course, you probably realize this predicament already and are asking for advice for the next step. If you spilled some whiskey on the ignition lock after taking a swig that might help. More practical ways are listed above but it just depends on how thirsty you are. :p

If you get it running and want to ride it in the snow, make sure to air down the tires. Helps but won't totally prevent a tip over plunging you into a roadside ditch. You don't want to end up in a roadside ditch.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
throwing a tarp over the bike would help avoid this kind of problem
Last time it snowed here was 1981 so needless to say this wasn’t exactly expected or the type of thing we deal with here. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if you are very, very familiar with this, you would probably already know that unless you have a solid, but not melted and frozen base layer (could be dirt) with a few inches of light snow, it's pretty much like riding on ice....good luck getting more than ten feet before crashing. (Unless you have studded tires). Consider your frozen lock a blessing. :eek:
Low speed falling is half the fun, if I wanted more than low speed tractor gearing I’d be trying to get one of the other bikes unfrozen. Besides in these temps I’m wearing so many layers I can barely move let alone feel a 5 MPH fall. ;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you spilled some whiskey on the ignition lock after taking a swig that might help. More practical ways are listed above but it just depends on how thirsty you are. :p.
I don’t buy cheap whiskey anymore so that could be expensive...

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Low speed falling is half the fun.....
Not when you are 70 it isn't! No matter what gear you are wearing! Last winter I went down on ice at a jogging speed 100 feet from my driveway in full gear and my hip ached for two weeks....I couldn't believe at that speed I could go down so fast I couldn't get my foot out to cushion the fall. :eek: Yeah, so maybe my reactions aren't what they used to be. :mad:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ouch, fortunately I’m not that aged yet but even if I was honestly it might be another 30+ years till it snows like this again here so I have no problem with adding to the scars I already have just to get to be one of the handful of people who have ever road the trails here in the snow. It’s not likely I’ll be here for the next time so might as well go have fun.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tip her back over right side up and pull it up into a tree. Then a small fire below should eventually melt all of the snow and ice without melting your seat... Just be sure the tires don't start smoking too bad. :rolleyes:

excalibur

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Edit: for I.E. I went into tools and clicked on the thingy to turn the popup blocker off. Now I can see the picture in I.E. but just like Chrome, it's upside down. I keep hear voices saying retire now, retire now retire now...:rolleyes:

I haven't even started drinking yet but seeing something weird here in this post.

I'm using Chrome Browser and I see the picture upside down. Anyone else?

But on my iPhone I see the picture right side up. You know, the way the gas wouldn't spill out.

Then I tried I.E. on this same cpu and I can't see a picture at all. Is all this real? Can anyone hear me or see my typing or am I dreaming?

I'm tell'in ya, it's gotta be stress and I should retire immediately.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe check to see if your holding your phone "Right Side IUp: ;) ? I have things similar happen all the time as I'm definately tech. deficient at my age too. At least you can post a picture and I have not accomplished that at this point. :rolleyes::(

excalibur

1 - 20 of 30 Posts