TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bleh....I've given up for the night.

Decided after a long day of work I would zen out on replacing the leaky gasket on my right side.

Well...like most things I do..

Took off fine...Now can't seen to figure out how to put it back on...

I am a newb to this kind of mechanics...but really enjoy learning from my mistakes.

Anyway, the problem is I cant seem to get the kick-starter to line up right. I've been looking at the manual, but the pictures are such bad quality...I cant tell how its set up.

Now I realize this may be hard to explain over an email...But if anyone knows of a good tutorial to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong...it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!!!

your fellow Tdubber :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Make some guide studs. To make guide studs, cut the head off of bots that are longer than you need. Put the guide studs in finger tight and then just slip the cover on as the studs will assure perfect alignment. Secure the cover with a couple of bolts and then remove the studs and put the rest of the bolts back in. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make some guide studs. To make guide studs, cut the head off of bots that are longer than you need. Put the guide studs in finger tight and then just slip the cover on as the studs will assure perfect alignment. Secure the cover with a couple of bolts and then remove the studs and put the rest of the bolts back in. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Its not the actual case I'm having trouble with...its the kick starter gears the aren't seeming to line up correctly...

It's engaging the gears, but not budging at all....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a video i can post to show you what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, how does it align in when it goes back in?

starting from the closest to me: Kick axle. theres the spring, which connects to the spring stopper...the washers (which i didnt touch)..the gear (thats stationary) the idle gear??? then a wire looking thing with a lip which I dont know the name of.. then the ratchet wheel paw which is supposed to line up with the ratchet wheel stopper......

Am i making any sense?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
First of all, make sure that your transmission is in neutral so that things will turn freely. Unless you disassembled the kickstarter shaft assembly, it should still be assembled in the proper order. The closed loop wire spring thing on the non-splined end of the assembly should slip into a slot of some kind in the crankcase. Unfortunately, my pictures do not clearly show this slot and I can't remember exactly what it looks like or where it is located. When this closed loop slides into the slot, the non-splined end of the shaft should slip into the hole in the crankcase and the kickstarter gear should line up with the idler gear which is partially covered by the outer clutch basket. The open loop wire spring on the splined end of the shaft should then be rotated clockwise and looped over the post which is located at approximately a 4-5 o'clock position relative to the kickstarter shaft. I would then slide the kickstarter lever onto the splined shaft and gently rotate it in the direction that you would kick it to make sure that gears engage properly. If everything looks good, remove the kickstarter lever and proceed with replacing your side cover and reassembling things back together.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all, make sure that your transmission is in neutral so that things will turn freely. Unless you disassembled the kickstarter shaft assembly, it should still be assembled in the proper order. The closed loop wire spring thing on the non-splined end of the assembly should slip into a slot of some kind in the crankcase. Unfortunately, my pictures do not clearly show this slot and I can't remember exactly what it looks like or where it is located. When this closed loop slides into the slot, the non-splined end of the shaft should slip into the hole in the crankcase and the kickstarter gear should line up with the idler gear which is partially covered by the outer clutch basket. The open loop wire spring on the splined end of the shaft should then be rotated clockwise and looped over the post which is located at approximately a 4-5 o'clock position relative to the kickstarter shaft. I would then slide the kickstarter lever onto the splined shaft and gently rotate it in the direction that you would kick it to make sure that gears engage properly. If everything looks good, remove the kickstarter lever and proceed with replacing your side cover and reassembling things back together.

Thank you so much for the details! I will attempt again this evening.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If i cant get it to turned over, I'm going to take step by step pictures of what I'm doing. Thanks again TW-Brian

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
This picture shows the slot in the crankcase where the closed loop wire spring fits (located at the 5-6 o'clock position below the hole that the kickstarter shaft goes into).

100_4233.JPG

This next picture shows the kickstarter gear assembly positioned with the closed loop wire spring over the slot that it goes into.

100_4234.JPG

This photo shows the kickstarter gear assembly positioned with the closed loop wire spring in the slot in the crankcase.

100_4235.JPG

This photo shows the open loop wire spring rotated clockwise and hooked over the post.

100_4236.JPG

This photo shows the kickstarter lever on the splined shaft. Rotate the lever counter-clockwise and ensure that kickstarter gear rises up and rotates with the movement of the kickstarter lever.

100_4237.JPG

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, finally got it back in a working correctly...

Was much easier than rewinding a return spring on a chain saw!!!! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts