TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I did search for info on how to mount it, but all I found were info on mounting the plastic Clarke tank, not an OEM XT225 metal tank. Only one question (well, so far...LOL). The xt tank has a narrower opening in the middle. So, the 2 front mounting posts on the frame hit the tank. I just wanted to know if those who mounted one, had to grind them down? And anything else to make it fit. What do I need to do?

Thanks....:)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I PMd you back
I know I said I'd post my how to but haven't yet.
But here is my front
Cutting down the posts for stock grommets

I used washer over the posts duct tape and hack saw.
I then cut grommets down. But I didn't use them in my final mount. I took one hockey puck cut it to an oblong grommet. I just laid the 2 stock grommets on the puck and traced. And then cut it in half. Then I shaped/ grounded to length. I ended up with a grommet about 5/8 to 3/4 longer than stock grommets.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You have a front disk and high mount fender so your air "fins" may not need any mods but for me I wasn't comfortable the way my front brake cable would catch. So I dremeled away at the left one.
I still need to correct the size of my fuel filter. But a 90 is the best fit. Even my big one works.
I'll run out and snap a few more pics.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ok snapped a few more pics.
Yes my bike is dirty! But it's not even 50* out so it will stay dirty.

This is where I placed tank

Here is tank grommets cut down

My rear mount is similar to using a stock XT350 tank.
So I cut that post out too. I do not have photos on my phone anymore. But there is a how to thread for the 350 tank.
Here is how it dremeled the front fin

And then the side panels

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If you set it forward place protection on the tank and check to see if your tank has become your fork stops. Or if you have clearance for handle bars and bark busters if you have those.

The finished(?) look.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you set it forward place protection on the tank and check to see if your tank has become your fork stops. Or if you have clearance for handle bars and bark busters if you have those.

The finished(?) look.
Yeah, the bars don't hit, but the clamps for the bark busters do hit the tank. I'll figure that out tomorrow when I finsh. I may just end up modding the for stops......;) Thanks again....;)

So, were those pics of the turn signals helpful at all? It took me 45 minutes to get that one back on...LOL The hollow threaded post is so loose in the light until I got it tight.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yeah, the bars don't hit, but the clamps for the bark busters do hit the tank. I'll figure that out tomorrow when I finsh. I may just end up modding the for stops......;) Thanks again....;)

So, were those pics of the turn signals helpful at all? It took me 45 minutes to get that one back on...LOL The hollow threaded post is so loose in the light until I got it tight.
I'm on cell I just loaded them into my computer to be able to see. But watching a movie now. So I'll check later.

I preferred to place tank back. That way the front is similar to stock. No need to worry about smashing the pretty tank.:).

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, So here are some pics of the XT225 tank installed on my bike. I was lucky that my gas cap fit this tank, so ony need the 1 key for all. I took my time, so the tank clears, and nothing hits with steering at full lock. All I need to do tonight, is trim a little off the side plastics to match at tank, and allow use of petcock. I also mounted the powered USB port, battery tender plug, rock guard on headlight, iphone mount, wide pegs, longer shift lever, fold away mirrors, front tire, etc. It's raining out, so tomorrow, I'll take nicer pics with my good camera. I will be testing my helmet cam tomorrow as well.

Thanks for the help with tank everyone....;)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
looks really good, i often wonder why they didn't put this tank on stock. your seat seems to fit better than mine did, i had to trim it a bit to not have a gap.
ready for the barrens, enjoy the extra range.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I spent a few hours mounting it, trying different positions and all, looking for that sweet spot, so no gaps, trimming, etc. It came out great, and I to prefer the look of these tanks over stock TW one. Who knows why they don't use it on the TWs. Would think it would be cheaper sharing 1 tank for 2 bikes. Oh well.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is one fine looking pony, Sir! That is a compliment from the horse capitol of the world too. My rear Cycle Racks (rear) shipped yesterday so it may arrive tomorrow or Friday. I didn't do the front rack for the money. Not sure I would use it much. I did add on the side bag supports because they will work with and old setup I have so they were well worth the $69 bucks. Plus they come off easily when not using them.

I like that raised fender look and would like to do that. Maybe this winter after the wife has a cooling period. LOL! She wants to set this Sat. aside for her T'Dub dry grass field trial run. Is the fender difficult? Best place to get the setup?

Also Bob, I mentioned elsewhere and Thank You for bringing that not so well thought out post to my attention. You are a team player. I re-read it and thought to myself, "Nice job, Now everyone thinks I am a Dick Head!" I totally screwed that up and did not proof read. I was thinking faster than my hunting and pecking the key board was going. I did not do a very good delivery. Thanks Though! Jesse or Bags (nickname)

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
198 Posts
What year XT350 metal tank do we need to look for - for the 2001+ TW200's?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
What year XT350 metal tank do we need to look for - for the 2001+ TW200's?
pretty sure all years xt350 (1981-2000) tanks fit, but be aware the tank in these pics in an xt225, they were 1992-07.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts