TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 TW200 (I bought new) that hasn't been run for about 4 or 5 months. I can get it to run only with the choke wide open. After it starts wide open and I slowly close the choke, about halfway in it stops. I have taken the 2-year old carb apart and cleaned and blown out everything. Adjusting the pilot screw helps some, but I can't get it right.

Historical background: Unfortunately about 2 years ago I had a similar problem. I hadn't properly maintained it while it sat and the carb filled with gunk (shame on me). Last time after creming the rusty tank, installing a fuel filter, and cleaning the carb several times (by using excellent help from this forum), I had to take it to the dealer to get it to run. They couldn't get it to run either and replaced the carb because they said it had an air leak somewhere. Hence the 2-year old carb. Incidently, it never did start well after this work. I live in east Tennessee where condensation can be a problem, i.e. cold winters and humid summers. I like the bike, but it is frustrating to keep running. It has always been cold natured. I also have a 2003, 1100 V Star Classic that gets more riding time...maybe because it is morre dependable and requires less attention.

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Typically when this problem surfaces, it ends up being within the pilot jet area. I would suggest getting some Lucus Deep System Fuel Cleaner, or SeaFoam. (The Lucus works better initially for these problems) Seafoam can be used once in a while later to keep stuff clean and running nice. Use the Lucus first. Put in 3 or 4 ounces in the gas tank and run the engine, ride it if you can. Let it sit for awhile, ride it again, continue until you know if it will work or not. This could take a couple days. If it is not any better, the carb has to come apart again and be cleaned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, littletommy. I'll give the Lucus a try. I use SeaFoam. I've seen your advice on other threads and you seem to be an expert.

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
I'm no expert that's for sure, but I'll give ya the best I got bro!! If you already have the Seafoam, put several ounces in the tank, more than I recommend on the Lucus. But first I might try taking the gas line off from the petcock and putting Seafoam directly in the line and cranking it over to draw some right into the pilot. Keep me posted alright?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm no expert that's for sure, but I'll give ya the best I got bro!! If you already have the Seafoam, put several ounces in the tank, more than I recommend on the Lucus. But first I might try taking the gas line off from the petcock and putting Seafoam directly in the line and cranking it over to draw some right into the pilot. Keep me posted alright?
Will do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drain the tank. Add one gallon of fresh fuel triple dosed with Seafoam and run it. Let it sit for a day and repeat. Repeat three times. Or, clean the pilot jet.
Thanks, rbm. I've drained the tank and the cleaned pilot jet. However, it seems I need to repeat these activities.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
First, I can't believe the dealer made you buy a new carb....absolutely unnecessary...and expensive, unless there is a severe crack or a piece broken off.

It is definitely the pilot jet and/or pilot jet internal passageways.

I went through this a couple months ago with my '05 TW, when once again I went off for the season without draining the carb and winterizing the bike. :eek:

The end hole of my pilot jet was completely blocked, and even one of the side air holes on the emulsion tube was clogged.

The Seafoam is probably the best bet without disassembling the carb again.

Be sure to remove the pilot screw and squirt some carb cleaner up the hole...make sure the washer and oring are in place when you reassemble it.

My TW lives a couple of hours south of you, over the mountain from Tellico Plains.

I would offer my services to you (for free) but I am stuck in FL working on a construction project.

I should be in NC/TN later in the summer if you are still having problems.

....and find another dealer.

jb

·
Registered
503 Posts
another good 'test': with bike running at idle, spray the intake boot with some ether, or anything flammable. Listen for a change in the RPM's . If it changes when sprayed, you've got a loose or torn boot. May be a simple 'tighten the clamp' situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back on thread after running engine with SeaFoam. Still no success so I took the pilot jet out and soaked it in Yamaha carb cleaner. Everything looks clean except I can't see light through the jet lengthwise. The jet is stamped 31. I thought that it needed a wire run through it so I bought a set of cleaning wires. The smallest wire won't go through it lengthwise. Any other way to clean it out or do I need to buy a new jet?

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
You need a new one.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You need a new one.
Like Tommy said, get a new pilot jet.

That should solve your starting problem.

If the end hole is blocked, you are getting "no" fuel through the pilot jet circuit. The side holes are for air.

You could ream it out. I use a guitar string (high E), but you risk changing the size of the opening.

jb

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
If I were going into my carb to replace one corroded jet, I would probably replace all of them while I was in there. Just sayin...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FINALLY!!! My 2005 TW200 is running like new! :D:D:D Couldn't get the pilot jet clear of whatever was plugging it so I bought a new one. Thanks for everyone's help!

FYI, I never could get the carb bowl drain screw out so I carefully drilled it out and ordered a new one. The new one came with an o-ring, spring, washer and the screw. The original didn't. I can turn the new screw out and in easily now. Don't know why the stock carb didn't come with a screw like this but it would have made draining the carb much easier.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I always use carburetor cleaner. You know, the stuff in a big can with a basket strainer. A 24 soak in that stuff will clear anything! But CAUTION: it eats plastic and rubber so all of those parts MUST be removed. And, it is toxic as hell. Use gloves and eye protection. Especially when air blasting to dry after soaking.

Not running then the "choke" is depressed is a sure sign of little tiny crud in the pilot circuit. The "choke" is actually just another gas passage into the carb that is not venturi controlled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts