TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought a t dub a few months ago for my wife. It's had an issue since a bought it but it doesn't act up with her. And when I ride it on the highway its fine.
But when you ride hard in the yard or dirt, anything bouncy, it cuts out like its starving for fuel. Feels like you have to wait for the bowl to refill. If I nail the brakes it will do it.
Carb is all stock. Was planning on checking the bowl height. I think the float isn't adjusted right. Any thoughts?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sounds like your bouncy bobble kaboogle isn't working. Sorry I couldn't resist. Did you try taking the fuel line off at the carb just to see what kind of flow you get? You say its fine on the highway so I suspect it is probably ok but if you don't get a nice stream the screens on the petcock are likely plugged. I think there is also a screen under the needle and seat that could be plugged. Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Could be a couple of things. In addition to what Pete said there's a main needle splash guard that could be out of whack or installed wrong. Also there could be crud in the float bowl. I would also check in there. You can disconnect the throttle cables and loosen the in and out boot clamps and tilt the carb over to the right side and get at the float bowl screws from the left. No need to remove the carb this way. If every thing looks copacetic there then I would take the carb off and check the float height.

·
Super Moderator
17,648 Posts
This could be something as simple as the kickstand safety switch. If the bike kickstand is jiggling up and down a bit in the rough stuff, it could be cutting off the ignition momentarily. You can unplug it and bypass it and take it back into the rough stuff and see if it does it then. Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not sudden like the kickstand switch would make it. I have to stop the bike and let it idle for a minute before I can give any throttle input without choking down. It's starving for fuel. Thanks for the tips. Will find out Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
17,648 Posts
Put a real strong dose of Lucus or SeaFoam in it and try running it for a while. It shouldn't be out of adjustment from the factory, since it has never been opened up. Do you have a gas filter installed in the line anywhere that might be clogging up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had an inline filter. I removed it and replaced the line. The po had cut the line and added a filter. Hose was linked so I thought that was the problem. Bike is a '12. And had 800 miles when I bought it two months ago. It runs wide open fine. Just rough terrain starves for fuel.
These things must run lean. It's cold natured for sure

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tommy, I would like to get this thing running good. I don't want to tune for power per say, but better driveability.

·
Super Moderator
17,648 Posts
Thanks Tommy, I would like to get this thing running good. I don't want to tune for power per say, but better driveability.

This should be done to all new TW's. It makes them run like they are supposed to. The factory adjusts them so so lean. You will be delighted with the change just doing this simple carb adjustment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, adjusted mixture screw. Runs much better, still would starve from fuel. Couldn't get an accurate reading so just bent the tang anyway. Had to disassemble and bend a little more, but no more problems. Had the t dub jumping ditches. My bro in law tip toes this bike. Hehe. Fits him like a glove.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts