TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Need help . . .

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  teachusJesus 
#1 ·
My '89 TW was running when I left it off for 1 1/2 week to get new battery. Left petcock on and now it won't start. I have:
+ leaned bike over and drained carb (blew through it to dry it out as well)
+ tested plug (it sparks when grounded), also checked gap and switched out with another plug just in case
+ changed oil (just in case there was gas in it somehow)
+ sprayed starting fluid lightly (and later more heavily) into plug socket
+ electric started it until new battery died - kick started it until my right leg wore out

What am I missing? I'm new to motorcycles but I thought all I needed was fire, fuel and air. I'm in the middle of cleaning out carb but that shouldn't have anything to do with it since a) it was running when I took the battery out and b) it got plenty of gas through when I left the petcock on. I've checked and not unplugged any wiring harnesses when changing battery. Thoughts? I'd love to get on this thing.

#2 ·
does it make any little attempt to fire when you crank on it? my money is on the carb. when I find one that needs cleaning just draining it and such doesnt do it. I end up pulling them and removing every last part then ultra sonic cleaning. that usually gets it going.

#3 ·
Use a new plug, not the old one, just because it is firing when you are looking at it outside of the cylinder doesn't mean that its firing under the compression of the engine. IF it was running fine and now its now and that's all you did was leave the fuel on, then I would try that first

#4 ·
I'm with vanillagorilla1 on this one. I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds like carb since you did the "fuel left on" thing. However, I would think it would fire with the starting fluid trick. Maybe a wire grounding out when trying to start it? Are you on or off the bike when you try to start it? I always look at what I just did to see if I did something inadvertantly to cause the problem.

Reactions: bad luck
#5 ·
Find a hill, place the bike in 2nd or 3rd and try roll starting it. Remember to have the gas on and if needed the choke.
Not knowing how warm it is where you are or if you have been turning the throttle the bike could be flooded.

#7 ·
If the needle valve in the carb does not seat, you can get fuel filling the carb and come out the over flows. More of a mess than a real issue.
I turn mine off just in case. With my old xt225 if you did not turn the gas off for the last few minutes of running it was a bitch to start. I found that little hint on the xt forum and passed it on to a friend who was having issues starting his xt. A block away from home reach down, turn the fuel off and problem solved.

#9 ·
to expand on that a little, it the float valve sticks it can also fill the cylinder with gas causing it to hydraulic lock which is really bad. That exact thing happened to a friend of mines old Kawasaki Concours 1000 when the vacuum valve failed, he had to put a piston and rod in it. it was a common problem on those bikes.....

#8 ·
If you have spark it should at least fire when some gas (not starting fluid) is put directly in the cylinder. I would work on that until it does. Then, clean the carb. I know, these carbs are touchy, but they usually at least fire and run bad if they just need cleaning.

It is possible there is no gas in the bowl. Trying opening the drain to see. But I still think it is a spark problem.

#11 ·
If the bike is in neutral it will start with kickstand down and no clutch lever.

Reactions: jtomelliott49
#21 ·
I agree with lomax and others. It you aren't getting it to at least act like it wants to start after spraying starting fluid in the carb or directly into the cylinder then it's not sparking correctly. That almost always gets any motorcycle ICE to at least pop a time or two when cranking it over either by kicking or with the e button.
I'd get another spark plug and check the spark again. If it's about the same as the current plug I'd start looking at the ground wires and wiring in general or ignition box. These bikes will run fine with a weak battery or dead battery. You just can't use the electric start.
You must have all of the switches on and working, plus the safety switches are ok if you are getting some kind of spark when kicking or e starting it. So I'd guess something is limiting the spark current. The spark plug is an easy first thing to check.

#22 ·
Starting fluid evaporates at an extremely rapid pace, as Boatsnbullets said, shooting it in plug hole and the time it takes to reinstall plug coupled with the fact the exhaust stroke will push any remaining vapor rigbt out the exhaust is not going to get it. Has to be pulled in from carb side on intake stroke. Or as somebody else said, a little bit of gas in the plug hole might get it to start.
With emphasis on the little bit of gas...

#23 ·
Still at it . . .

UPDATE: new plug (just to be safe); cleaned carb (although it looked practically new inside, ran through with guitar wire as well as gunk & other brand carb cleaner)

It still won't start with kick or electric. I'm no electrician but thought perhaps the kickstand switch might be stuck or not working internally so I unplugged it and tried starting it with and without a jumper wire in the switch. I also considered a bad killswitch but it is working fine. I feel like it's something simple since it was running before but I guess will go electrical and ask father-in-law to pull out the meter.

I did get my '06 TW running (so I'm not having withdrawals anymore). The petcock o-ring/gasket needed replacing.

Attached is the new(old) tank I'll be putting on once it's fixed.
I'm also interested if anyone knows a good/comfortable cheap cafe racer/flat seat to add (or brands to steer clear of). Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Still open to ideas if anyone thinks of something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.