TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been looking for a road bike that would still feel at home on some of the seasonal roads. I know nothing of this bike and would very much appreciate any advice you are willing to give. Please include based on your experience what a FAIR price/offer might be. Asking price seems really high unless this bike is legendary or something.

https://elmira.craigslist.org/mcy/5003889161.html

Thank you
Tom

·
Registered
486 Posts
That bike is an Icon. Probably doesn't do anything great by modern standards. But in it's day it was either a Honda or a BMW. The rarity and condition can justify a high price. But, is it what you really want?

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Rare bike, never see them. Looks excellently taken care of. Probably worth it easily, just because it's so rare. Don't know about availability of parts though? Have you looked for a forum on them?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw it tonight and as Borneo would say "it was speaking to me". I have no idea why but there is just something about it???? Awful high price though.

No I have not done any research yet. Figured since I trust you guy's I would ask here first.

Tom

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Tom,

I would be very surprised if this bike lasts very long on craigslist.

This is probably the nicest example of a Transalp that I have ever seen for sale. And with less than 10,000 miles! They were only sold in the US for a couple of years.

If that bike were posted near me, I would jump on it!

If you were able to get it for the asking price, or even less, you would have no problem getting your money back out of it and could probably make money on it.

That's my opinion.

Brian

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
The only input I have is a DR650 is a big TW200 with thin tires easy to work on has an oil cooler and tons of after market stuff and easy to lower and has not changed in 20 years.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom,

I would be very surprised if this bike lasts very long on craigslist.

This is probably the nicest example of a Transalp that I have ever seen for sale. And with less than 10,000 miles! They were only sold in the US for a couple of years.

If that bike were posted near me, I would jump on it!

If you were able to get it for the asking price, or even less, you would have no problem getting your money back out of it and could probably make money on it.

That's my opinion.

Brian

Thank you for your reply!!! You are a wrench and ride guy, do you know how hard it would be to get parts? I am sorry for being ignorant about this but...........I am:)

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
It would talk to me too, just because it's so rare and cool. That was the first year they were imported into the U.S. They made many upgrades to the bike in the years following. You might be wise to pass on it, unless you collect bikes. How about one of these instead? You would look so good in it with your pink ruffled hickory shirt...just sayin. Plus the poodles are chick magnets. ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm no lifelong MC guy, but my boss rides a Transalp to work a few days a week.

His is the same year, 1989. He told me he's had it for about 10 years and all he's had to do is change the oil. He also told me that he paid about $1200 for his, which seems a little more reasonable to me. There's a Transalp thread on ADVrider:Show us your TransAlp modifications! - ADVrider

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
It is super clean though and you will never see one again in that shape for sale.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Tom,

I don't know this for a fact, but I would guess that parts should be readily from Honda. While it was only sold in the US for a couple of years, it was sold in other parts of the world for quite some time.

Honda Transalp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brian

hmmmmmmm. . . . the ad says "Delivery possible"

Brian he is 15 miles from my dad and 55 miles from me! I am looking online now for some pricing information:D

Tom

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is super clean though and you will never see one again in that shape for sale.
Kinda like buying a mint muscle car from the early 70's or spending 50% more for a new piece of plastic with four wheels. It is VERY interesting to me. I am not made of money though and if I bought it it would be ridden!?

Tom

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wondering about delivery to California :cool:!
Cover the gas and I will ride it over to you:D Seriously, it seems you really like this bike as much as I do.

Tom

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Legendary might not be too far off the mark, lol. I don't know a ton about them, but from what I do know, they are indeed quite reliable machines, which should just require normal maintenance. Occasional problems with CDI's or front brake calipers, but nothing that can't be fixed pretty simply. IMO the condition plus full Honda service records is worth quite a lot of money. That being said, it IS a 1989, and we can't forget that 1989 was a LONG time ago, lol! I think I would grab it for $3,600 to $3,800. Otherwise I'd pass. Any more than that and you can start looking at much newer Suzuki DR650's in similar condition. If it weren't for the apparent excellent condition (obviously test ride to verify as best you can) and the full service records, I would pay no more than $2,500 to $3,000 for it.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not nearly as nice and not worth what he is asking (at least to me).

No bids, but a bunch of watchers.

Just another piece of information for you to agonize over.

Honda Other | eBay
Gee, thanks pal! Kinda put's the price my guy is asking in better perspective.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
I love it, it has very low miles and all things considered, it looks pretty sweet, but bike technology has changed so much now that I think a used KLR or V-Strom would be a better choice for about the same price.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts