TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We are having words. They claim that the filter they installed is correct even though it does not have the slits or 4 holes. Furthermore the mechanic says " Who is to say that the oil pump didn't go out or that you didn't over rev the motor". I am livid. I wish that I could locate a TSB or something. I requested his part number and can't locate it online. He says it comes from a parts house that you have to be a dealer to order from. I can't seem to locate the parts house either.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How much did the repairs cost total and how much will it cost to fix? Sounds like you need to print out every single thread on these filters and talk to a small claims lawyer with a packet of papers in hand. He should do a free to cheap consultation and if he thinks you have a case be willing to go after them for legal fees.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
We are having words. They claim that the filter they installed is correct even though it does not have the slits or 4 holes. Furthermore the mechanic says " Who is to say that the oil pump didn't go out or that you didn't over rev the motor". I am livid. I wish that I could locate a TSB or something. I requested his part number and can't locate it online. He says it comes from a parts house that you have to be a dealer to order from. I can't seem to locate the parts house either.
Either they fix it or you go to a lawyer and file in small claims court. You also have YELP,facebook,instagram and whatever else there is on social media to let others know how this guy does business. I would not let him get away with it. Go to a dealer and find out how much it will cost and bill him in small claims court. It's well documented here on this site that several bikes have had the same problem, caused by wrong filters in the correct box.
Also at some point when you feel comfortable please name the shop. We can email them several threads here about the wrong filter issue.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I am sorry but a small claims case won't do much and on top of that this will still be happening to other owners. Rokon84 and Still learning you have been directly affected by the wrong filter in the correct box. I think it is time for a class action lawsuit against Yamaha. You two are ones who could start a legal action. This problem needs to be addressed by the consumer product safety commission or who ever does automobile safety recalls. Someone could die from these engines locking up at speed. The shops and dealers are in the middle of this and affected just as much as owners. Fellow TW200 owners on the forum can support and bring to bear pressure on Yamaha and the parts suppliers of the oil filters to rectify this situation. If every TW200 forum member went to every Yamaha dealer near them and asked to buy some filters and then inspected all of their stock. Maybe we could get a rock solid example of this happening. I went and bought some spare oil filters just to check the stock at North County Yamaha here in San Diego. They had 11 filters and let me inspect them. However none were the wrong type. I asked if they had a service bulletin about this problem and if they had ever heard about it. The answer was no of course. I also asked the parts manager who I could contact in Yamaha about this but never got an answer. We can also email, call or write directly to Yamaha informing them that this is a real problem and they need to address this serious problem for us as concerned owners.

I think a sticky should be made for the techincal forum however I am not sure of the format for that maybe some have some ideas. Are there any attorney's with suggestions or people who have contacts with Yamaha out there?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Still learning maybe go back to the independent shop and tell them it wasn't their fault that the wrong oil filter was put into your bike. Tell them you are planning a class action suit against Yamaha and their parts suppliers who may have distributed these filters. Let them know they are a victim of this problem as much as you are. If you can get them to help you by just being truthful in contacting Yamaha your case would be more powerful and they and other shops and owners wouldn't be harmed by this problem.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Still Learning ask the shop to go to their parts suppliers and and see if they can look for the problem oil filter or will give you their address. That supply house may have more bad filters because one bad one came from there.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yamaha Sport Contact Us

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

Yamaha Outdoors Contact Us

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of ATVs and Side x Sides.

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Still learning maybe go back to the independent shop and tell them it wasn't their fault that the wrong oil filter was put into your bike. Tell them you are planning a class action suit against Yamaha and their parts suppliers who may have distributed these filters. Let them know they are a victim of this problem as much as you are. If you can get them to help you by just being truthful in contacting Yamaha your case would be more powerful and they and other shops and owners wouldn't be harmed by this problem.
The trouble is – it was the shops fault – should have visually checked the old one next to the new one, looked at the manual etc

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The shop claims that the new filter looked like the one he pulled out. He says that the filter he installed was appropriate and works in numerous Yamaha 200cc applications. I cant find his exact part anywhere on line. It seems to pull up numerous different filters. He says it is part # of106. He says that it is a house brand from Mcdonalds Wholesale. I have requested the Wholesaler's contact information and the shop has not given it to me. I even told them that if they were given the wrong part for the application that I would be glad to assist in pursuing the supplier.I will spread the word locally for sure about these guys. If they will not resolve this, I will have to save up some money and try to find another motor or find another bike.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If they will not resolve this you need to go after them legally, should a lawyer say "yeah, their booboo". I understand Tweaker's position, but the fact of the matter is they still screwed up -- whether intentional or not. Part of the entire point of having a shop do the work is risk transference -- that's the other side of the "I don't know how to do this" or "I know but I'm too busy/lazy/scared/etc." coin. As an IT guy, I am paid to do two things -- fix the issue and receive the risk of having the user do it. If I am given a part for a machine, don't know it's wrong and will kill it, and despite my best "boy, golly Beave!" efforts, I fry their computer, it is still my fault because I am the receiving agent of the risk in the project. I could then go after my supplier, but whether or not I like it receiving the user's risk is part of my job.

I understand the idea of not burning a shop down financially because of something small, of not engaging in frivolous litigation. This is the ruination of your motorcycle by a shop whose sole purpose is to fix motorcycles. It's like saying, "well, it's not the doctor's fault the surgical tech didn't sterilize the equipment he supplied to the doc and your kid died of sepsis." The hell it isn't.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I agree, however I am unable to find anything outside of this forum to indicate that this will occur if the wrong filter is used. Additionally, if they show that this is indeed the correct filter from his vendor, the burden of proof is on me to prove that this part does not meet the specifications to allow oil to the top end. The shop wants to see the bike. They have stated that this could have been an oil pump going out, prior issue, and/or "over reving" the engine. I already know that they are unscrupulous.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Those unknowns are why you need to talk to a small claims lawyer. I would cease communication, not touch that bike, and gather info and see a lawyer for a free or low cost consultation.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Do not let them remove or replace the filter in question. It is your only evidence.

I agree, however I am unable to find anything outside of this forum to indicate that this will occur if the wrong filter is used. Additionally, if they show that this is indeed the correct filter from his vendor, the burden of proof is on me to prove that this part does not meet the specifications to allow oil to the top end. The shop wants to see the bike. They have stated that this could have been an oil pump going out, prior issue, and/or "over reving" the engine. I already know that they are unscrupulous.

Reactions: admiral and CS1983

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Do not let them remove or replace the filter in question. It is your only evidence. Please contact the ( EDIT https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm) CPSC with the link I gave you and fill out their online complaint form. You and Rokon84 have had this problem happen to you, you are the only ones that can file a compaint I can't. Please call Yamaha customer relations and inform them of your situation then in writing after the call. Please do consult with an attorney and if possible together with Rokon84 file a class action lawsuit or at least for you a small claims action. Try to get that shop on your side. I am not sure why you are calling them unscrupulous they installed a part they believed was correct to the best of their knowledge and they are damaged by this just as much as you are. Sure they should own up and fix this for you but from their position many consumers are unscrupulous also and they lie about what happens to their bikes when they do something wrong not the shop. This is a total trust issue. Explain you want their help in resolving this issue with incorrect parts in wrong boxes so that you, other owners and other repair shops don't have this problem again. You need them to support you in your case with Yamaha, and the https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

Purple is totally wrong no reasonable person would be expected to know if that was the wrong oil filter in the correct box even by looking at it. They are too similar in appearance and may think it is an up-dated filter. This is a fact engines are being destroyed by people installing the WRONG oil filter that is in the correct packaging. This in itself is proof that there is a serious problem.

Reactions: admiral and CS1983

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
No! What there is... is a bold cautionary note and procedure in the service manual, page 3-15, that explains that oil flow to the top end must be checked via the gallery bolt as part of the oil and filter change procedure. This is your "gotcha" item, not the oil filter itself. If the wrong filter without the holes is used, no oil gets to the top end or the gallery bolt. Proper part number or not, proper filter or not, if the shop did not perform this procedure, from the shop manual, it's their responsibility. They must not have, or they would caught it before damage could have occurred.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Still learning the NHSTA will look at your complaint and will determine if that filter you have caused your problem. There is no need for other evidence. You have to file a complaint for them to look at it. The fact that there are other anecdotal accounts that support your complaint is important. Rokon 84 needs to file one also.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Purple is totally wrong no reasonable person would be expected to know if that was the wrong oil filter in the correct box even by looking at it

TW200-oil-filter-correct-incorrect-Old-Towd.JPG

Looks like a simple enough process to me ........ ;)

Oil filters are funny things - if the holes don't line up, they don't work ........

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Lrppce is correct and this is about the shops liability. But for this problem to cease there needs to be a recall of all filters and for Yamaha to acknowledge there is a problem. This is what the NHSTA is there for to resolve safety issues caused by problems like this. DO WE need someone to die or be injured because a shop or owner installed the WRONG oil filter in their bike because of incorrect packaging? Still learning and Rokon84 are prime examples they didn't install these bad oil filters and are directly affected by this problem. Come on people let's do what we can to stop this and stop making excuses.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Still learning can you show us a picture of your oil filter?

Purple do you work for Yamaha? Lol and is that an example of a known filter from an incorrect box if it is then you make my case about there being a problem for the NHTSA.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts