TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a decent 1988 TW but it is missing some parts to make it road worthy. I'm hoping one of you guys who might have stripped this stuff off for a trail exclusive TW might have what I need at a reasonable cost.

Here is what I will need.

1 blinker
Rear brake switch and the spring rod that goes to the pedal.
Kick stand safety switch.
Handle bar right side throttle twist grip/kill switch with cables.
Handle bar left side blinker/horn switch.
Gas tank rear hold down, I need the top metal cap and rubber but the bottom is there.
I have the tail light and rear fender but the fender itself is pretty nasty.
Clutch and front brake cables.

Let me know by PM if you have any of these parts and are willing to sell them.

Thanks

GaryL

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PM sent, Sold! I do need a front fender bracket and the part I most need in the rear is the fender that holds the tail light.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
sorry i don't have the front bracket

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the under fender that holds the tail light, is that there?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I have a front fender bracket you can have, PM your address.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is what I have and the plastic is toast.

Thanks r80rt, PM heading your way.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the one blinker I need to replace.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Bracket on left is what I was asking about. If you don't need it it will make shipping a lot easier. If you do need it it is yours.

Arrow points to plastic tube thing that needs to be replaced. No big deal. Someone added extra screw to bottom of cap (not shown in picture) but I think just remove it and it will be OK.

I don't know about the turn signal lights -- three wires -- Ii guess they are OK.

Kick stand and switch -- I am pretty sure they are right for a TW. I found all this stuff in a box of parts I have. They are yours if you want them. PM me your address.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bracket on left is what I was asking about. If you don't need it it will make shipping a lot easier. If you do need it it is yours.

Arrow points to plastic tube thing that needs to be replaced. No big deal. Someone added extra screw to bottom of cap (not shown in picture) but I think just remove it and it will be OK.

I don't know about the turn signal lights -- three wires -- Ii guess they are OK.

Kick stand and switch -- I am pretty sure they are right for a TW. I found all this stuff in a box of parts I have. They are yours if you want them. PM me your address.

Wow! Fantastic Elime. I don't need the big bracket or the kick stand, both are on the bike. The kick stand safety switch, throttle and blinkers will help me out a bunch.
Bucknutz is on his way to my house now with a clean XT 350 tank I can use to try and fire this engine up. The original tank looks pretty good on the outside but horrible inside from sitting with ethanol gas for many years and lots of rust. Not sure what to do with it yet or if it can be saved. PM on it's way and I pay all shipping +.

Thank you

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will have to play with this Tirebiter. Does the threaded tube go all the way through the shaft? The other three are OK and have the nuts but this one must have gotten ripped off and it took the tab on the tail light lower fender with it. The lenses are pretty funky but might clean up with some soaking, two are cracked but should still pass inspection.

GaryL

·
Registered
323 Posts
The threaded tube only goes a short way back into the remaining stub (~.5-.75") the threaded piece you see on the shortened stalk is OEM and molded in, it doesn't get removed. Also note the spring that is molded into the stalk (the shiny crescent shapes visible in the pic) that you have to cut through, you also have to get the replacement threaded shaft to fit inside of. On mine this required a bit of dremeling on the inside of the spring for clearance. It's a very tight fit. Great mod though, and very easy.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sorry I missed your question Gary. HappyHiker definitely explained it very well.

One other thing I did....After fitting the hole and lamp tube to a tight fit, I put some JB Weld on both pieces when I threaded the tube into the rubber at final assembly. It probably didn't even stay in the threads and isn't necessary but it sounded good at the time. I've dropped the bike a few times, one time with my boot caught between the turn signal and the ground, without it coming loose so it seems to be a good mod. I also added a spot of silicone sealant to the end of the tube, around the wires, to keep water out. The lamp tube threads are unique and the nuts that come with it are half nuts so I used two to mount the stalk, with the outside one slightly torqued against the inside one to lock them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts