TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have gotten some recommendations, I have read some reviews...Checking this forum, things like oil and tire change interval work for me. I am kind of sold. Granted I have not read everything on here, but are there any chronic problems with the bike? I am not one to any modifications for what it is worth, and I know that can make a difference.

If I get it , I will sell my smallest scooter and this bike would step into service for my urban neighborhood stuff but most important be an off road friend! I have a BMWf700 for touring and whipping around back roads (definitely not a dirt bike, at least with my skills), an old Honda 250 Helix as a commuter. So what's the catch? It seems like the TW is perfect for what it is supposed to do. I am pretty short, with an even shorter inseam so my options for a street legal light/moderate dirt bike are limited. Thanks for helping me, or keeping me from pulling the trigger :D

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
Welcome Lynlee,
The TW is a simple and thus fairly reliable machine with no serious chronic problems.
Biggest problem is we riders often try to upshift into the nonexistent sixth gear.
Try to snag a test ride before purchase rather than simply accept the glowing endorsement of a biased die-hard TW fan such as myself.
Have you had a chance to ride a TW yet?

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
No chronic issues at all. I hit 42000 miles before I had to do any work. Regular maintenance was only tires, brakes, sprockets, chain, oil changes. The stock tires for me wore out at about 3000 miles. I switched to TW203 and TW204 which are better for the street but wouldn't be good in sand or mud.

·
Registered
928 Posts
As a woman that's only 5'4", I can tell you the TW is a great bike. Its standard seat height is comfortable, but if it still feels tall, the bike can easily be lowered several inches and still handle great. It is inexpensive to change the handlebars for a more ergonomic fit. Add a larger tank for more range. Add an atv seat pad, or update the seat cushion completely for long distance rides... there's a ton of inexpensive ways to make this bike perfect for you.

I own 4 motorcycles (5 now) and of all 4 bikes, the TW has become my favorite. So much so that it has become my daily driver and I just bought a second one so friends and family can come ride with me off-road!

If you're looking for a perfect daily commuter, the TW fits the bill. Throw a set of Shinko SR428 Dual Sport Tires on the bike and you're set for regular street riding with an occasional foray off road. I'm no mechanic, but between the excellent folks on this forum and the simplicity of the bike, it is super easy to maintain. Excellent gas mileage. Throw a rear rack with a top box on it, or add saddle bags for some cargo capacity and you can even go grocery shopping for a couple of bags of goodies.

That's just my point of view. But if you're going from a scooter to a cycle for a daily driver, the TW is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The chronic issue is that it will eventually be parked closest to the garage door in front of all your other bikes for quickie and local riding. Lotsa fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all this is all great news! It seems like it is a great fit for what I want. Funny about looking for 6th gear, I am sure I will, but on the other hand I am used to under powered things coming from the scooter world. I certainly appreciate the size. I have not been able to build my off road skills on my GS...for me, on dirt it is overpowered and heavy (near/over 500 wet, with all the accessories I have on it). And if I got a dirt bike....it would need to be street legal, and I have not seen a street legal that fits well.

I have a friend who has one who will let me ride it. But before I get too carried away I will go sit on one, although I have a good eye can see the ergonomics are nice for me. Thanks all, more than likely it could be slow go if I try and get one used, but maybe some dealers are trying to get rid of some 16's. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi Lynlee, and welcome;

I just looked up your 250 Helix. If that is your small scooter the TW will replace then the one problem will be highway ability. The article said the Helix can easily cruise 65-70, so you can get out on the freeway fine. The only time you would want to take the TW on Hwys 5, 8, or 163 would be in workers traffic (55 mph or less) as holding 60 on any incline or into headwinds can be a problem. I ran around SD county fine on a Xl175 or 180/185 fine; but that was back when the speed limit was 55. Climbing 163 out of Mission Valley on the TW, you would not hold 60 and might have to shift to 4th to maintain 55. The TW will have a lot more vibration than a scooter I imagine.

Off-road, the TW suspension and power limit how fast you will get somewhere compared to more powerful/better suspended bikes in tougher terrain - but it will get you there.

Having said all that; (other than freeway speeds) I think the TW would be great for what you have stated.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'll throw one additional comment into this about "chronic" problems, in 10+ years of owning several TW's, the only issue is bad gas. Try to run non-ethanol gas and use Sta-Bil gas treatment or some other quality fuel stabilizer. Do the proper prep on the carb if you're going to store it for the winter. I have had carbs get gunked up to to sitting for a few months in the winter, that is only because I didn't do the due diligence prior to the snow flying. Having learned my lesson, I now have no issues in the spring, put in gas, fire it up and go riding! Lastly, keep your battery charged while it is dormant. TW's are good bikes and sound like a good fit for your needs/wants. Enjoy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you, The Honda Helix will stay as my commuter. It is a 250 and can go on the freeway...the BMW is better, but Helix is cheaper to run and I can lane split (a blessing and curse we enjoy in CA) on it better. Hey are you a mind reader ...of the all the freeways, you picked the one I use for my morning commute...163 north bound, and yes even the helix with an actual 70mph uphill could get run over, so I would not even consider the TW for that run.

I would sell my by Buddy, it is a 125 and now is my little neighborhood bike I can park anywhere bc of its small profile and its just fun and I would have a hard time parting with it unless I needed room for something else ...I think the TW will fill these needs nicely, but the main thing is would be the off road use and the power, albeit non freeway to get there. I would possibly take a longer trip though...I once took a 1700 mile trip on my Honda!

One more question to anyone reading...What is the situation with accessories? I would want the basics needed to protect the bike in an off road crash, and then maybe a rear rack. Looks like a bash plate is stock? If I buy new I have to calculate all that....are there lots of option for accessories or only what Yamaha sells? I guess I can go to Revzilla and look but thanks!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
hey lynlee,

great bikes all around, not great at anyone thing, best at slower crawling, riding along. try riding a Tdub first, always the best idea.

if you check out the 25 steps link in my signature you can get a few (read too many) ideas of mods and extra ways to spend money on your new bike. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
As you can see, this is a friendly forum and you'll get boatloads of advice and help if you need it. You also have several riders and mechanics down your way. I'm an old San Diego boy myself.

Have fun with your new TW!! :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other than a battery tender, other than one time, I did not winterize bikes when I lived in Cleveland bc I rode even in the winter. ..so no worries , especially since I am in S.Cal. the longest I have gone without riding is 2-3 days. It was awful, lets not speak of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where do you guys get your accessories? I am looking at one at a dealer and if I like it I may try and negotiate in some farkle, but need to ball park cost.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
welcome to the forum. the only issues i would consider mentioning, would the crappy front tire and the fact that someone put the wrong oil filters in the right boxes which lead to several members losing engines. and the fact that some servicing is done by dealers is not a safety net as they don't look to see if it is the right filter

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
Here's one place that will give you an idea of some accessories that are available.

https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html#

Best thing to do at the time is tell us what you are looking for. Lots of folks here know where the best deals are... ;)

where do you guys get your accessories? I am looking at one at a dealer and if I like it I may try and negotiate in some farkle, but need to ball park cost.

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
If you buy from a dealer, have them change out the front tire before you even get the bike!! The stock tire IS that bad!! And, come oil change time, take a pic of the filter and show us to be sure before putting it on and running it...
welcome to the forum. the only issues i would consider mentioning, would the crappy front tire and the fact that someone put the wrong oil filters in the right boxes which lead to several members losing engines. and the fact that some servicing is done by dealers is not a safety net as they don't look to see if it is the right filter

·
Registered
302 Posts
LT is an advocate for replacing the front tire on the TW right off the bat. Mudbugs had the stocker on it when we took it camping for the first time in Arkansas and I think he was in Washington sweating bullets. After riding it with the stock tire and the 244, The bike is plenty rideable with the stock front but if you can swing for a better option, I second him and say swap it out. You don't realize how poorly it performs until you have something else under it. I sure didn't. There is a thread on here about handgaurds at the moment that you may want to check out. Handgaurds/Barkbusters always make for an excellent ad-on

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what are some of the manufacturers/models of a better front tire? On the "244" recommendaiton above, a google search has too many options.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts