TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Xt225 , My wife backed into its frame while apart for powdercoating.
Now its smooshed.

What years and other models can I use to bolt on ALL my MAIN XT225 stuff.

I dont care if Its a tw200 frame and of course would like to replace my frame with the newest model year I can.
So If i see a 2004 ttr230 frame Will my XT225 motor/swingarm/wheels/chain, all bolt into the frame? Cuz I can figure out bracketing for plastics , i can re-wrap my harness If, I must, But don't have a welder or much money, I'm disabled, its my winter project.

Can you folks with experience let me know, do I have to find to a model year 2000 and below for bolt in and drive away goal?
Can I get a 2005 frame? etc

thank you al in advance for any advice i can get. < I'm a former Ase Tech But Auto, not Motorcycle.

S

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I would try and cross reference the part # to your frame to identify which year frames are a direct swap. Although using a frame from a similar bike may work, I'm pretty sure that you would have to fab up some modifications to make it work. Some driving lessons for your wife may also be helpful. Good luck, Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL Thanks Dave, But where can I cross ref?

Not sure if this will help, but I would try and cross reference the part # to your frame to identify which year frames are a direct swap. Although using a frame from a similar bike may work, I'm pretty sure that you would have to fab up some modifications to make it work. Some driving lessons for your wife may also be helpful. Good luck, Dave

Thanks Dave, And yeah she does haha.

How can I cross-reference w/o manuals?
Will a dealer do that for me?
I wonder if I called a dealer, #1 would anyone want to spend the time who is a yamaha parts guy?
and what if I get some 18year old kid on the line that makes a guess for me.
Cuz I dont know anyone in the parts/dealer industry.

and doont want to have to send a frame back to michigan by mail, ill loose half my money

Ive been comparing photos for hours this eve off ebay , and it looks like the ttr230 frames up to 2004 look pretty much a match, and although i cant measure other ppls parts i do know the 2004 swingarm is same part as my 98 as i did get one guy to measure his part for me. that helps validate my photo comparisons, as it appears up to 2004 frames seem mostly same.

By the footpegs frames up to '04 have a triangle plate welded above footpegs, after 2005 the plate is gone and its just tube steel welded slightly different, so as for the moment im staying away from 2005 or newer. Im going to buy a frame though off ebay in next 2 days.

If i cant find any other information or how to get WHOM to cross for me, then ill gamble a tiny bit on a 2002 im watching for 132 buks delevered.

then ill pay 30 for a vin check online, and make a bill of sale from that last registered owners persons name to me as my state only needs a b.o.s. if it was never registered and alot havent been then ill just creat whatever. If a Vin is good its good.

then Im ok, I think, Cant ride on Street with old Vin on Reg, thats as bad as no plate at all, no difference, lol

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I have a 1998 Xt225 , My wife backed into its frame while apart for powdercoating.
Now its smooshed.

What years and other models can I use to bolt on ALL my MAIN XT225 stuff.

I dont care if Its a tw200 frame and of course would like to replace my frame with the newest model year I can.
So If i see a 2004 ttr230 frame Will my XT225 motor/swingarm/wheels/chain, all bolt into the frame? Cuz I can figure out bracketing for plastics , i can re-wrap my harness If, I must, But don't have a welder or much money, I'm disabled, its my winter project.

Can you folks with experience let me know, do I have to find to a model year 2000 and below for bolt in and drive away goal?
Can I get a 2005 frame? etc

thank you al in advance for any advice i can get. < I'm a former Ase Tech But Auto, not Motorcycle.

S
Might try asking over here. I'm sure they could or would know the answer.

XT225 forum

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Most of the OEM parts suppliers have on line blow up parts diagrams of all the Yamaha bikes. I would try Stadium Yamaha, Partzilla, BikeBandit and just find your exact bike, year and then do some cross searching of other years. If the frame part number is the same on a few different years then you know that frame would work.

Based on my limited knowledge, once you find which frames are the same, I think it will be way less expensive to find a good parts bike and tear all the good parts off, do the switch, powder coat and sell the rest. Oh Yea, frames are easy to replace but good wives, Not so much. I love mine for all her faults because she puts up with me and mine!

How did you make out over on the XT225 forum?, if you went and signed in. It would be interesting to hear if they are as forthcoming with valuable info as we try to be here.

GaryL

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just checked and cross referenced a couple of years of the Xt 225 on bike bandit. 1997 no info? Weird. 1998, 1999, and 2000 are the same part # 2007 different from these by a digit, a 1992 , close, too. If you are you planning on buying a used one, you can cross reference that particular year. A Yamaha shop will probably tell you which years will work and save you the trouble if you ask them nice. Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts