TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it really give you "More Power"? Also, what is needed to do it?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Adjustments to the needle height changes the power in the mid range RPMs.
Like any other carb mod, you have to be careful with it, going too far makes the bike run poorly.

The thread "Carb Tuning" explains the relationship between pilot jet, needle, and main jet mods.

The nice part about carb tuning is there is no permanent change to the bike, and you can go back to stock as quickly as you modded. (but you won't ;))

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would it be alright with stock exhaust?

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Just fine with the stock exhaust. If you are going through the carb though, you might want to change your main, adjust the needle, and change the pilot also for maximum affect. For instance, my older style bike and carb (87) took a 112 main, two shims on the needle, and a #42 pilot jet adjusted 2 and 1/2-3/4 out. The bike is used at around 2 thousand feet and hauls butt.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size and where do I get the shims?

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
You might have shims on it now. Have you had the carb opened? I gave you my setup details because you have an older bike (my favorite color scheme, by the way) like mine. What altitude are you at? That may make a difference. Procycle has most everything you need and that is the way I went. How about emailing [email protected] along with [email protected] (MrBracket)and see what they say. Give them the details, year, altitude, perhaps what is in there now, etc. Here is their website link and telephone number: Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle Keep us posted ! Hope this helps!

Procycle:
(1-541-688-9543)
Toll-Free: 1-800-496-5516
Mon-Fri, 9:30am - 5:00pm PST

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
McMaster-Carr is where I got mine. Was pointed there by another's post on the forum.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in Ohio so about 850ft. Not sure what I will do just yet. I'm waiting for winter to come before I open her up. I also need to rebuild the top end. Any kits out there?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
tce.....I'm in SW Ohio ( East of Cincinnati ) , I have a 2009 TW and used a #130 main , if thats any help . As mentioned above, go to the carb tuning sticky and proceed . I'm not on here as much as I use to be , I've been retired 9 day's now ! .

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Congrats on the retirement Frog! Stay busy and enjoy it!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there any point in doing this if you have a stock pipe? My carb has been working pretty well as is but will it actually help? I'm confused about this whole thing I guess.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it will correct the factory lean condition.
I'm not sure if mine is running lean or not. I will have to check back here after I clean my carb. It's off the bike now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts