1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It's something you get used to... although at those temps, skin tends to freeze solid after just a few minutes.

When I lived in Montana about ten years ago, one morning I rode my ATV to work (it was registered street legal). It was I think 15 deg F or thereabouts. It had handwarmers on it, but by the time I got to work (less than two miles away), my right thumb was about to fall off since there was no thumb-throttle-warmer. Yikes. I only rode it to work because my truck was in the shop.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First rule. Do not go outside to pee!!
Except they have to because there is no running water lol! But at least there's an outhouse so you don't die before you finish your business...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Humanity's relation with cold is quite interesting. We tend to pretend it is something to be feared. After 50 years in the arctic the lowest actual temperature I have seen is about -54F . I have friends who have over wintered in Antarctica and worked outside at -96F.
Needless to say at both temperatures when you go outside you do not waste a lot of time getting on with whatever task took you outside.
It was a balmy -17F this morning when I went out to plug in my truck.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I think Sarah Palin can see Oymyakon Russia from her house. :laughing9:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I went to an ice fishing contest a few years ago. It was 4 degrees F when I left the house at 5 AM. Bright and sunny day when I finally got my tip ups in but then the winds kicked up to over 20 MPH and the temps shot down to -8 below zero. Calculating the wind chill factor and it was down right miserable. It took me well over an hour to break my tip up out of the frozen solid holes. No one stayed long enough to ever register a fish caught and by the time I got home it took me hours to thaw out. -96 and all I can say is stay in your igloo and cuddle. I used to be a very hardy ice fisherman and could endure some mighty cold days on the ice. Not any more! 30 F degrees or I stay home.

GaryL

·
Registered
746 Posts
For a little over a year in the very early '90s, I rode a mountain bicycle every day. I also had an old Jeep Wagoneer that I kept packed with camping gear, but I pretty much only used it for my frequent camping trips. At the time I worked 12+ hour days for two weeks straight, then once I had my hours in I would take two weeks off. Every month. So I did lots of camping and mountain biking. In those days I lived and breathed mountain biking.

This sounds like I'm working up to some big story about doing the Iditarod on my mountain bike, but I'm not. Sorry! :D
Actually, Rob's story about riding his ATV reminded me of this. I used to ride my bicycle the 2 miles home from work at o'dark thirty and about 15 degrees, then rush into the bathroom to see my ice-encrusted full beard looking like some arctic explorer or something! :D My breath was condensing and freezing in my beard.
I also learned during that time that I really like winter camping, and it's not that difficult once you figure out what you're doing.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
I had no idea North Alabama got that cold.

Now it was a balmy 12 degrees F by comparison at dawn today when I got up to plow some snow.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had no idea North Alabama got that cold.
Winter lows are usually around 20F, sometimes down to 10, occasionally 0 or slightly below. It's not like that this year though, so far at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts