TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another sad day on planet earth. My prayers go out to the families who lost love ones in this Earth Quake. The numbers are staggering. My prayers also go out to you Kurt. Borneo who may have lost friends in this earth quake. On our winter hike Borneo told us stories of his mountain climbing adventures on Mount Everest.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
The urban/general population loss is truly tragic. On the otherhand, despite Everest's commercial nature these days, and it's attractiveness to amateurs, climbing 8000m still is very dangerous business. I do feel concern and sympathy for those on the mountain, but it's a different feeling. One of risk taken and hopefully fully acknowledged, and so you play your hand and hope for the best. Afterall, it's the risk that makes it attractive in the ultimate analysis.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
With such a regional disaster I imagine little outside help might be available for those team members at Camp 1 on far side of Icefall. Hope they have more than a few days of food and fuel. Basecamp, and much of Nepal may well have to be self reliant for some time in the aftermath. The western climbing teams hold an interest for us but they are but a drop in the bucket considering the widespread devastation.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
It looks like about 150 climbers are on the mountain above the Khumbu, scattered between Camps I and II. Camp I is at 19,685 and Camp II is at 21,000. The climbers at II should be able to descend to Camp I, which means if the Khumbu remains impassable they will have to be helo'ed off from 19,685 which isn't going to be a normal helicopter. That's Lama, Cheetah, and HAL Cheetal country.

I'm not so sure how much food and fuel will be on the mountain this early in the climbing season, so food/fuel drops may be first priority. Sounds bizarre, but part of me wishes I was living that adventure. Certainly a story for the rocking chair days that are hopefully to come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts