TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The cluster on the right we have that has LEDs for neutral, high beam, and indicators; it's completely pointless in my opinion.
Gadget Vehicle Electronic device Communication Device Display device

You can tell when you are in neutral as the bike will not drive... you should know whether you are in neutral or not without looking at a light.

You can tell if you have high beam on by the position of the switch and the intensity of your headlight.

You can tell if you are indicating by the flashing indicator in front of you or the clicking sound.

I dont understand why we have this cluster. Is it a legal thing?

· Registered
2021 TW
874 Posts
Here in the colonys its probably required by the Dept of Transportation,the insurance industry and the solicitors. After all the average citizen is an idiot and needs the lights to save themselves from self harm.
Sort of like when someone sued McDonalds because they didnt have a warning that the coffee they served was actually hot and could burn you.

· Registered
251 Posts
I ride plenty of old bikes where those indicators are inop or don't exist so I don't NEED them but mine work on my TW and I'm glad I have them. Also I have to hunt for N (something with the trans, not that I'm an idiot) so I actually appreciate the light.

Also for the blinkers, if the sun is shining on them I can't tell if they're blinking or not but I have a tinted mini windscreen that shades my indicators so it's one place to check for blinkers instead of two.

Differ'nt strokes...

Sent from the demons in my head

· Registered
2001 TW200, '89 carb
78 Posts
I'm thankful for the neutral indicator; my bike is too touchy to go from 1-N and is doable from 2-N so it's nice to have confirmation before releasing the clutch. But yeah, probably required by law.

Can't see headlight intensity during the day to know if you're being that guy blinding oncoming traffic (just kidding, stock headlight could never). Similar statement about the blinkers.

Take it off and replace it with a...well, actually. What would you have there instead? (A tachometer is the easy answer, I want creativity!)

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm thankful for the neutral indicator; my bike is too touchy to go from 1-N and is doable from 2-N so it's nice to have confirmation before releasing the clutch. But yeah, probably required by law.

Can't see headlight intensity during the day to know if you're being that guy blinding oncoming traffic (just kidding, stock headlight could never). Similar statement about the blinkers.

Take it off and replace it with a...well, actually. What would you have there instead? (A tachometer is the easy answer, I want creativity!)
I removed it completely when I had my TW together and I put a LED auxiliary light unit in its place. Now I'm rebuilding it... i'm thinking of getting a sleek LED light bar and doing away with the speedo too

· Registered
2,454 Posts
The cluster on the right we have that has LEDs for neutral, high beam, and indicators; it's completely pointless in my opinion.
View attachment 233325

You can tell when you are in neutral as the bike will not drive... you should know whether you are in neutral or not without looking at a light.

You can tell if you have high beam on by the position of the switch and the intensity of your headlight.

You can tell if you are indicating by the flashing indicator in front of you or the clicking sound.

I dont understand why we have this cluster. Is it a legal thing?
Ahhh, youth... I wish I could still hear the blinker clicking.

The Wife's Avalon is the quietest car I've ever driven and I can't hear the clicker in it (without my hearing aids).

Half the time I don't even hear the first two times She screeches "TICKER!".

The older we get, the more we need all the help we can muster.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Is it really hurting anything? Not even the bionic woman could hear ticking on an operating bike. The age thing is B.S. and anyone who has spent 5 seconds on a running bike knows it. It is winter and many of us are riding a keyboard which explains the writing of, reading of, and responding to posts/threads like this. It is good not to go 30 miles down the road with a flasher on. At night it is good to know that you have to dim repeatedly as on coming traffic is coming and going. N is good as sometimes in bulky boots you have to get a search warrant to find it. Sometimes no matter how hard you look for something you cannot find it.

· Premium Member
2004 TW200, 3000 miles
99 Posts
No, we're all just middle aged & deafer'n shit! 😂

· Registered
23,849 Posts
The Radio Shack beeper repeater and bridge rectifier that Gerry installed on my Mr.Gizmo bike could be heard w/ helmet and engine running. Worked great untill I broke it's ground wire, then they called me "Blinky" once again as I flash my way down the road in ignorance. I typically ride with head out of the cockpit rarely looking at any guages.
Now I installed Led turn signal strips on that bike's handguards with one of the LED chips mounted on inside of the handguards as a flashing visual indicator. That I can see in my peripheral vision.
Handwriting Font Rectangle Paper product Paper

· Registered
251 Posts
What are you complaining about it for? Its your motorcycle. If you don't like it rip it off, place it on the side of a hill and use it for target practice. Shoot the crap out of it. You'll feel better.
The question was if it is a legal requirement to have those indicators and I have no idea. Could be a DOT requirement in the US but I really don't know.

Sent from the demons in my head

· Registered
23,849 Posts
DPLarson, your concern may best be accurately addressed by reviewing your state's motor vehicle code available online. After all if you were ever to face a compliance inspection it would likely be by a state or local official rather than a federal one. Local and state officials typically refer to their state's statutes which then do, or do not specify adherence to specific DOT recommendations and certifications. Many states still permit use of hand signals in leu of illuminated turn signals, you're just required to have turn signals installed, not to specifically use them. This federal requirement is for bikes manufactured after 1973 I believe.

Some states are pretty lax about full compliance. I was able to street register a 2-stroke in Washington state with only a squeeze bulb horn and the enduro bike's OEM head and tail lights. No battery, no turn signals required, non-DOT knobby tires and loud exhuast OK. This was back when this would have given a California DMV licensing person fits. Same bike years later up in California's Sonora Pass then gave a Forest Service ranger fits enough to summon the sheriff to check if California should honor my out of state registration, license and insurance. Meanwhile I got to sit in a patrol car handcuffed "for my protection" untill one of the U.S.Government Law Enforcement types rolled up and said "cut him loose". No citation, no concern about anything other than being a 2-stroke.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are you complaining about it for? Its your motorcycle. If you don't like it rip it off, place it on the side of a hill and use it for target practice. Shoot the crap out of it. You'll feel better.
I'm not complaining. Just always thought it was a bit redundant. I did remove it. I was just curious what other people thought.

· Registered
203 Posts
I'm not complaining. Just always thought it was a bit redundant. I did remove it. I was just curious what other people thought.
I don't have a problem with it. All four of my street-legal bikes (two KTM's, a Honda and my TW) have them, even my Quads have Neutral and Reverse indicators. Can I ride with out it? Sure, but for me it does come-in handy. My TW doesn't have a loud Relay for it's blinkers so I can't hear when the Blinkers are operating.

If I could change one thing about these indicators it would be to make them LED's. I've owned three TW's and have had to change the lamps for the Hi-Beam indicators on all three at one time or another because they burnt-out or vibrated apart.

If I were to remove it and replace it with something else, it would be a mirror so I could see how cool I look riding my TW :p

· Super Moderator
2004 TW200
476 Posts
I have no problem with the indicators lights & neutral switches. If it came that way I use it, if it didn't come that way - that is fine too.
If a bike has blinkers I wish they would all be self-canceling like my HD. Not sure why bikes have not made that a standard feature. Sure would make riders safer than leaving a blinker on for miles and miles.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts