TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to from Golden CO. Purchased low miles 2003 Yamaha TW200, insured, registered and tagged today. The TW200 runs good, slightly anemic on a moderate hill at 6,000 but otherwise runs smooth. The one problem is the neutral indicator is not working. I shift into neutral and no light. I put TW200 into neutral and it will not start. Starts fine with clutch depressed? What is the likely culprit for this malady? It is my understanding that the TW200 should start in neutral without clutch being depressed? Yes then I can rule out the light bulb.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The light bulb should be in parallel with the cut-off relays, not in series, so that would make me expect the neutral switch.

The neutral switch makes a connection to ground. If you disconnect the neutral switch, and ground out the lead, then your neutral light should turn on (with the key on, of course). If it does, your neutral switch is bad.

Matthew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally broke down to address neutral switch not working. Spend hours researching problem reading s blogs and posts and electrical wiring diagrams. Pulled seat and inspected wiring and found wire barrel connection disconnected, tried to reconnect the barrel connection and it would not go because the wire was too short, so I rerouted wire outside wiring hold down(Yamaha are you listening) made the connection, neutral switch worked.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Finally broke down to address neutral switch not working. ........ made the connection, neutral switch worked.
Good. That was easy!

As for anemic performance on hills, especially in fifth gear, you may want to get a 122 main jet. I usually switch from stock 126 to the 122 if I know I'm going to be riding above 8,000 for several days. I would not run it below 6,000 though.
AND/OR put on a 13 tooth in front....you can still go 60.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Finally broke down to address neutral switch not working. Spend hours researching problem reading s blogs and posts and electrical wiring diagrams. Pulled seat and inspected wiring and found wire barrel connection disconnected, tried to reconnect the barrel connection and it would not go because the wire was too short, so I rerouted wire outside wiring hold down(Yamaha are you listening) made the connection, neutral switch worked.
I didn't want to resurrect this but...my neutral light has not worked, or come on, since I've owned my TW.
I checked the bulb, actually bought the three in the light panel and changed them, it was missing one, I can't remember which, but I thought for sure that was it.
Of course it wasn't.

Then I started all kinds of troubleshooting. Checking wiring, neutral switch, relays (who knew it had multiple safety relays? Kick stand switch, clutch switch, etc. But it all seemed good.
So I Googled "tw200 neutral light problem".
I read several posts, but nothing that pertained directly to me. I'm not sure why I read through this entire post, but I did.

I had checked the all of the wiring and it all seemed to have continuity to the correct places.
But after reading this post I took off the seat again and looked closely at the wiring in the rubber/plastic cover and guess what?
One of the wires/connectors, yes it was light blue, was slightly pulled apart.

It seemed kind of short. But I was able it finally pushed back together. It was under tension and wanted to unplug.
So I fished it out of the loom or wrap it was in and ran it a slightly shorter distance.

Put it all back together and it worked!

I am bringing this back because I checked another TW and the same wire is tight also.
Hopefully this can help someone else like it did me.

·
Registered
14,022 Posts
Are you able to post a photo of the place/connector your talking about?

I didn't want to resurrect this but...my neutral light has not worked, or come on, since I've owned my TW.
I checked the bulb, actually bought the three in the light panel and changed them, it was missing one, I can't remember which, but I thought for sure that was it.
Of course it wasn't.

Then I started all kinds of troubleshooting. Checking wiring, neutral switch, relays (who knew it had multiple safety relays? Kick stand switch, clutch switch, etc. But it all seemed good.
So I Googled "tw200 neutral light problem".
I read several posts, but nothing that pertained directly to me. I'm not sure why I read through this entire post, but I did.

I had checked the all of the wiring and it all seemed to have continuity to the correct places.
But after reading this post I took off the seat again and looked closely at the wiring in the rubber/plastic cover and guess what?
One of the wires/connectors, yes it was light blue, was slightly pulled apart.

It seemed kind of short. But I was able it finally pushed back together. It was under tension and wanted to unplug.
So I fished it out of the loom or wrap it was in and ran it a slightly shorter distance.

Put it all back together and it worked!

I am bringing this back because I checked another TW and the same wire is tight also.
Hopefully this can help someone else like it did me.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
When you say it would not start in neutral, were you truly in neutral, the bike would roll with the clutch lever released? It is likely that it wouldn't start if the relay was disconnected, but the TW, like many other bikes, sometimes is tricky to get into neutral and requires a lot of fidgeting to get it right in the sweet spot with the shift lever.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'll take the seat off and take a couple close pictures of the bullet type of connector.

Yes the bike was actually in neutral. And would never start with the kickstand down. Even if the clutch lever was pulled in and in neutral.
It would only start with the kick stand up AND the clutch lever pulled in, even though it was in neutral, and it could be pushed or rolled around without the clutch pulled in.

Once I reconnected the one wire, it now starts with the kickstand down if it is in neutral, and the indicator light on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When the black connector cover;

20170116_120222.jpg

under the seat is pulled back you will see this light blue wire and butt connector.

20170116_120242.jpg

This was unplugged and is really too short especially how it is running with the other wires.

You can't see it but it's now running diagonally under the voltage reg/rec.

·
Registered
14,022 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. They clear up what I had confused in my imagination picture.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the black connector cover;

View attachment 71402

under the seat is pulled back you will see this light blue wire and butt connector.

View attachment 71410

This was unplugged and is really too short especially how it is running with the other wires.

You can't see it but it's now running diagonally under the voltage reg/rec.
My 2009 is having the same issue. I checked that connector under the seat and I can't find it. I pulled back the black cover and it's not there. Any idea why?

·
Registered
670 Posts
My 2009 is having the same issue. I checked that connector under the seat and I can't find it. I pulled back the black cover and it's not there. Any idea why?
Maybe the connector bundle is closer to the headlight also wire color changes from earlier bikes to our newer bikes, so I'd take a look in a manual (I'll check mine tomorrow for you).

Actually it might be the same color looking at one of my photos when I was installing diff headlights and speedo:

Im sure there are connectors under the seat, but I only spent time wiring the back of the bike when doing the brake and tail lights, so I'm just not familiar with that part of the wiring if it's back there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe the connector bundle is closer to the headlight also wire color changes from earlier bikes to our newer bikes, so I'd take a look in a manual (I'll check mine tomorrow for you).

Actually it might be the same color looking at one of my photos when I was installing diff headlights and speedo:

View attachment 209699

Im sure there are connectors under the seat, but I only spent time wiring the back of the bike when doing the brake and tail lights, so I'm just not familiar with that part of the wiring if it's back there.
I am pretty sure the solid dark blue wire in your picture goes to the stock speedo lights. I threw on a Vapor so that one isn't connected on mine either. It's just that pesky light blue/white wire.

Thanks for looking man. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I am pretty sure the solid dark blue wire in your picture goes to the stock speedo lights. I threw on a Vapor so that one isn't connected on mine either. It's just that pesky light blue/white wire.

Thanks for looking man. I appreciate it.
Hey man, my garage has been kinda quiet, and it ain't got any heat, but I got tools, a manual, and I love to troubleshoot stuff. I'm off all week if you wanna swing by and we can take a look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts