TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday Nevada had some 90 plus minor seismic events. Interestingly enough many were centered near an out of the way area I had been researching for a TW camping destination, the abandoned ghost town of Pine Grove, or Piney Grove according to Google Earth. Maybe I should go see if the shaking knocked any more buildings down.:)

Here is the main mine office, or some say a school house, one of many structures still in very good shape. Other mine sites and ghost towns can be found in the region. 26993736.jpg

This stamp mill still has the main axle with drive wheel drum and a pair of cam fingers for lifting and dropping the hammers, or stamps, that reduced the ore. 60345540.jpg

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pine Grove is one of several very well preserved gold and silver ghost towns dating from the 1860's. Most easy to access ghost towns are just picked over, often vandalized rubble. Looks like a fun place to base a TW mini adventure.
Pine Grove, NV - Silver State Ghost Towns

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Video helped. Looks like a great camping spot. Even has TW parking in the building show early on. ha ha. Lots of history also. This would be a cool spot for a camp-n-ride!

I think the "Mine Office" was actually the school...or shared. Looks very similar to the photo you shared above. Found this on the www. Just for the record, the teachers look mean, real mean!

Pine Grove School

Pine Grove, NV

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was within 100 air miles of Hawthorne Nevada sound asleep when the house started shaking at 12:18 am. It shook for 30 seconds. Four minutes later the second one shook for 20 seconds. An hour later the third one shook for 10 seconds. Lots of minor aftershocks throughout the morning. Luckily no visible damage to the house. The first two quakes were probably the longest and most violent I've ever expierienced. Growing up in the SF Bay Area I've felt lots of earthquakes. I did hear that the Bodie Ghostown Park was closed for damage. I'm glad these quakes weren't centered in a major metropolitan populated area. Time to restock my earthquake kit.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Excellent video tour thanks for sharing. Most of our historic landmarks that are off the beaten path are Tagged with spray paint from punk ass kids. It is refreshing to see your building still appear in there natural state.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Very cool as usual.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Belmont is an interesting place to visit with a few residents, many standing ruins, and a working Bed-n-Breakfast last time I was there. Wild burros, hot springs, rock art caves and other interesting things abound but my favorite Belmont memory is of the Bed and Breakfast's cats following us around as we toured the ruins. With 4 inches of snow everywhere the cats would climb onto our feet for warmth every time we paused on our walk-about.. Hilarious distraction.
Belmont - Nevada Ghost Town - Ghosttowns.com

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That's a great interactive map of all the ghost towns in Nevada.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tony, I was considering just a solo ride @ Pine Grove but would not deny the company from anyone else foolish enough to attempt a late winter foray with me. I'll crave an outing prior to Maob but plummeting nighttime temperatures can discourage all but the hardy and well equipped. Nearest civilization is Wellington perhaps an hour to the north. My van is good for the low 20's but I wouldn't want to be in just a tent. Three hour drive from me, camp there one or two nights and ride TW during daylight. Need a break in the weather, winter releases it's grip periodically up here.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No concrete plans yet, need better weather to open up worthwhile destinations since a group ride comes with certain obligations. Group rides on the horizon are of course Moab in April and the coastal ride in Mike's House of Madness's backyard Booneville. I will try to put together a summer ride or two into some interesting places. I thought a camp-n-ride in the Sierra Buttes area might be a good one. There are lodges and a few restaurants as well as the more primative camping I gravitate too. Intermediate riding is available but some routes would best be appreciated by more advanced riders.

I think I rode by 11 different lakes and visited two fire lookout towers in the Gold Lakes Basin that one day. Lots of variety.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Looks like the quakes are running right regular there in Hawthorne, Nv. Seems 2+ scale is common, is that just as of late, or is this normal, like when jomama keeps dropping his hammer repeatedly over at the geysers & setting off the seismograph accidentally? :D m.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts