TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sprockets and chain on my 95 T-Dub were stock when I bought it this January. So after much debate between 47t or 50t I went with the 47 and I love it! I have more top end but still have that low end grunt on the dirt. Took it on the road for the first time with the new sprocket today and the cruising speed is so much smoother at 45 to 50 mph. Thanks all of ya for your responses

Z-Dub on a T-Dub

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Just how much more top end did you get?

·
Registered
663 Posts
What brand sprocket did you use?

Did you also change the front sprocket? I ask because I will be changing mine and I have heard/read about the spline tolerances being off (too loose) on aftermarket front sprockets. This has me worried about putting on a non-OEM front sprocket. I have not heard/read about any problems with aftermarket rear sprockets.

Can any of you more experienced folks elaborate?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
me being 130lbs I can cruise around 50-55 in 5th without ringing out the throttle where before I could cruise around 45 but it felt like I was pushing it too far the 47t sprocket feels much better to me

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
So, you feel better about going faster, but the bike goes no faster?

Good reason, along with the more useful 1st gear. Same reasons I run 15/50 when riding street in Arkansas. It also allows a downshift and still reasonable rpm at 55mph in the Ozarks.

Parts Unlimited countershaft sprockets fit the splines well. The bolt holes are a bit bigger, so you'll need ne bolts and to drill the retainer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bike goes faster like i said cruising in 5th with the old 50t was going 45mph but it sounded like it was winding it out to much now with the 47t I can cruise 50-55mph comfortably but can push it to 60-65. I also took The T-Dub out on rutted out single tracks around my house and it pulled every hill just fine and kept up with my dads DR-650 when it opened up to some clay pits. So for me this 47t works just fine and I absolutely love it. But keep in mind thats just me

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
the bike goes faster like i said cruising in 5th with the old 50t was going 45mph but it sounded like it was winding it out to much now with the 47t I can cruise 50-55mph comfortably but can push it to 60-65. I also took The T-Dub out on rutted out single tracks around my house and it pulled every hill just fine and kept up with my dads DR-650 when it opened up to some clay pits. So for me this 47t works just fine and I absolutely love it. But keep in mind thats just me
Redline with 14/50 stock sprockets is 75mph. Max torque is 7000rpm, max horsepower is 8000rpm. An engine best holds speed when geared to max torque at cruising speed. With stock sprockets, 7000 rpm is 55mph. Hmmmm?!?!? Maybe Yamaha set the bike up that way for a reason. There are plenty of other excellent reasons to run 14/47 sprockets, but more top end isn't one of them, unless riding off a cliff.

As you found out in the clay pits, traction embarasses displacement in many instances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts