TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just picked up a 1996 TW200 with 3500 miles on it with a 500# rated hitch carrier. I wanted a run about to put on the back of my van. This one popped up on Craig's list and I jumped on it. Everything seems to be in great shape except the blinkers light up, but do not blink, some add-ons need deleted and the kill switch is missing. I look forward to learning and sharing. I will say the Hollow Mod is a must. I have fallen in love with a few I have seen on here. I also would like to make it as light as possible. Live in the Phoenix area and would like to meet up with other TW200 owners. I am not planning on riding on street so can haul it for show and tell. Few questions:

1. Anyone know why blinkers light up but do not blink?

2. Where is the best place to get a new kill switch?

TexGX

·
Registered
667 Posts
I can welcome you to the forum. However, I'm not handy with bikes, I let the dealer get their hands dirty when I have issues, which I haven't yet (2014 with 1600 miles). That and I have little time to fuss with things.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
"WELCOME" to the crazy world of Dubs.. Your non flashing blinker could be just a bad bulb.. Switch sides from left to right and see if the problem follows the bulb.. If not you will need to look a little closer.. I've owned our T-dubs for 9 years.. My wife and I just love them..
Go nuts and do what ever you want.. OMM.

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Tex.

More info on the blinkers.

The front blinkers stay on as running lights. This is not what you are experiencing, is it? What is the dash indicator doing?

My '96 :icon_thumright: encountered a problem where the blinkers would not blink on one side. Thinking a bad bulb, I swapped the the bulbs around. The problem followed the bulbs. :); then it didn't. Back to the same side that initially had the problem.:(

After downloading schematics, swapping blinker wiring, tracing and wiggling wires to no avail, I tore into the blinker itself.

What "I" found on mine was where the wire goes into the stem of blinker, the wires are attached to a little disc inside the bulb socket cup. Pushing the disc up and out of socket cup, there was a bit of dirt/tarnish/something that was in there and that disc wasn't making good contact. I roughed it up with a screwdriver such thing and put it back together. Still all good. :icon_thumright:

Bad grounds and electrical gremlins are a bane to me. :dread:

Good luck to you.

Stock paint?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome. Super excited about my bike.

jeffrolives,

Thanks for the info. I plan on tearing into it tomorrow. I will check that out first. When I hit the blinkers, the lights get brighter but do not blink.

DA,

The starter is there, but the off switch is missing.

TexGX

I am in love with the Hollow mod. I am thinking of taking plastic off tomorrow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Started to clean and check out bike. Noticed the brake light may not be working either. Running to Cycle World tomorrow to pick up a helmet and some boots. May pick up a few parts. The flame grips have to go. It needs a deep cleaning. Having fun so far.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Worked on the Cub this weekend. It was the LED blinkers causing the blinkers not to flash. Picked up a new set that match the front, new passenger pegs and new grips. The brake light bulb just needs replaced. I will need to repaint the frame soon. Tires are my next priority. I also need a new kill switch. Any suggestions?

Before
Start.jpg

After
Improvement.jpg

TexGX

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Feelings hurt a little no one liked the new look:)

Worked on a few things today. My new tires arrived today. I was thinking of mounting myself, but will have someone do it tomorrow. I have no stand and only me to work on it. I fixed the brake light and throttle today. Changed out the handle bars as well. Wife is going to work on the seat tomorrow so should have a new black seat soon. Loving the bike so far.

TexGX

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tw200a

Well after almost selling it for a new one, I decided to change the number one thing I hated about the old look: the blue frame. In combination with some help from the guys at cycleracks and cycle gear, I introduce you to the new TW200A (A for adventure. Hanging out with my buddy that is buying a new GSA too much).

TW200A.jpg

I love the new look and the wife has a backrest and handles now. The ram mount looks like it will work great. I will start looking for a taller windshield.

TexGX

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here she is with the new body kit and odometer with trip gauge:

New Body kit.jpg
I also added the fork covers. Digging the look.

New Odometer.jpg
New odometer will be nice for monitoring fuel with trip gauge.

I figured out the throttle issue and have new cables on order. Now time to take her for shakedown ride. Four Peaks?

TexGX

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well after almost selling it for a new one, I decided to change the number one thing I hated about the old look: the blue frame. In combination with some help from the guys at cycleracks and cycle gear, I introduce you to the new TW200A (A for adventure. Hanging out with my buddy that is buying a new GSA too much).

View attachment 23381

I love the new look and the wife has a backrest and handles now. The ram mount looks like it will work great. I will start looking for a taller windshield.

TexGX
How did you paint the frame? Complete disassembly?? I'm planning on painting my unbearable blue frame as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did not completely disassemble, but I did take off as much I easily could then wrap the hell out of the rest. I would take off the tank if I was to do it again. It is super easy. Plastic lawn bags work great for the wheels and blue painters tape was a big help as well.

TexGX

1 - 20 of 42 Posts