TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the nearest dealer and picked one up, almost. It wouldn't start , dead battery they say. They are going to charge the battery over night. I almost didn't buy it because of a dead battery, but is not a deal breaker. I am hoping it will least last the summer. There are lighter and more reliable batteries out there.
This will be an interesting ride, I almost went for a scooter because my wife is that slow. No not really, I hope she doesn't read this.
Me and the misses picked up 2013 TW and a XT250 late last year. We had fun with them for a month or so until it was to cold for her to ride, well maybe me too.
Anyhow every time the two were in the driveway side by side and I had the choice to ride one. Ill be dam, the phat girl always got the go. I had to have one of my own. I sold the XT and went for the TW. Sweet!

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
....., dead battery they say. They are going to charge the battery over night. ..
DON'T LET THEM DO THAT!!!!! INSIST ON A NEW BATTERY!!!! That battery is already 98% dead and will last a month if you are lucky. NOTHING is more deadly to a moto battery than to be left dead for a few months. They probably assembled that bike in November and it has sat ever since.

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
DON'T LET THEM DO THAT!!!!! INSIST ON A NEW BATTERY!!!! That battery is already 98% dead and will last a month if you are lucky. NOTHING is more deadly to a moto battery than to be left dead for a few months. They probably assembled that bike in November and it has sat ever since.
Non-sense ........ he just needs to swap it over for the one in his wife's bike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery wasn't dead the idiot sales rep had the kill switch to the off position. The bike is now home and I am going through it and making sure it is ready to ride.
I was looking for the tool pouch, this bike does come with a too kit right?
Everything was pretty much ready to ride except the air filter is kind of dry. I oiled it up and put everything back together. Now its time to go put mile number 2 on her.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
This is not a good sign of a reliable dealershit....I mean ship. :p

The tool pouch should be under the right side cover.....wouldn't be surprising if they forgot that too. Did they put air in the tires and gas in the tank? You probably ought to see if the battery has the right amount of water in it. Lessee, what else? Chain lubed and adjusted? Axle torque correct? Lights and signals work right? Horn? Idle adjustment?

Do I seem a bit cynical? That's 50 years of experience talking. :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I had to go back to the dealership to get my tool kit. They told me that it really was nothing special and about worthless. After a little bit of "discussion", they had me drive up the road to their other business and pick it up. Seemed like this is common among many dealerships, get your money and that's the end of the "dealer/buyer" relationship. Sad.

·
Super Moderator
18,141 Posts
I would check everything too. I have seen them come out of the dealer with way way too much air in the tires. They should be between 18 and 22 lbs depending on your weight.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
486 Posts
They handed me mine along with the owners manual and title. Drove me crazy to squeeze it under the cover and get the strap on.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I had to go back to the dealership to get my tool kit. They told me that it really was nothing special and about worthless. After a little bit of "discussion", they had me drive up the road to their other business and pick it up. Seemed like this is common among many dealerships, get your money and that's the end of the "dealer/buyer" relationship. Sad.
The tool kit is pretty much worthless junk until you go to a dealer and try to buy the one that should have been there from the start. Most will charge you between $35-$50 for the junk!

GaryL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tool kit isn't much and I don't need it, but it still should have been there. The dealer is 3 miles out, so going up there is not out of my way. I did buy a bike from them before in 98 with pretty much the same result as this purchase. There have been numerous new bikes in the stable since the 98 bike, none were purchase from them. I thought I would give my home town dealer another chance. I even told my 98 purchase story to the sales guy during our initial conversation on the TW. He said that he would make sure everything would be in order and that the bike would be ready. Of course that all went to crap. Costumer service is down every where so I know to take care of the prep of my bike myself. I wanted to buy the TW still in the create but I couldn't find any dealer that would do that. This dealer isn't the best for sure but the price was within what I wanted to pay and the bike as you all know is super fantastic. Off to get my $35 tool kit and maybe excert some concern for their customer service.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Just so you know! When the bike is delivered to the dealer crated two TWs to a crate, the tool kits are already in the bike and under the side cover on the right side. For some reason the dealer removed your kit and my guess would be to sell it to an unsuspecting customer and a quick profit to them.

GaryL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got a tool kit. It has a 3" long spark plug wrench with nothing to turn it with. It also has a spanner wench to adjust the rear spring, which isn't adjustable. LOL, What the hell. Thats exactly what I said before I walked out. I will never spend another dime in Bright power sports in Lincoln Park Michigan.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Well I got a tool kit. It has a 3" long spark plug wrench with nothing to turn it with. It also has a spanner wench to adjust the rear spring, which isn't adjustable. LOL, What the hell. Thats exactly what I said before I walked out. I will never spend another dime in Bright power sports in Lincoln Park Michigan.
YUP! Just as I suspected. That dealer steals all the tool kits from all the bikes and tosses them in a box for resale. The idiots have no clue which kits go to which bikes and you got one from some other bike.

Search some of the old threads on the tool kits. Someone posted pictures of exactly what comes in a TW kit and I would go right back the 3 miles and tell the A Holes you want the real kit from your bike. This is a rather common ploy from ceap assed dealers and I know this because I was the GM at one!

GaryL

Reactions: kj7687

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
.......It has a 3" long spark plug wrench with nothing to turn it with. It also has a spanner wench to adjust the rear spring, which isn't adjustable. .......
Does it have a screwdriver with both Phillips (actually a JIS) and flat blade? If so, this is what you use to turn the spark plug wrench, which has a hole for that purpose. The rear spring IS adjustable, but not with a spanner wrench. You have to unbolt the bottom of it, compress it with a spring compressor, and move the ring clip up or down 1/8 of an inch.....Needless to say only one out of a thousand of us ever bothers.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
This is not a good sign of a reliable dealershit....I mean ship. :p

The tool pouch should be under the right side cover.....wouldn't be surprising if they forgot that too. Did they put air in the tires and gas in the tank? You probably ought to see if the battery has the right amount of water in it. Lessee, what else? Chain lubed and adjusted? Axle torque correct? Lights and signals work right? Horn? Idle adjustment?

Do I seem a bit cynical? That's 50 years of experience talking. :rolleyes::D

Fifty year of freaking golden wisdom! Listen to this guy lol! I've only got 8 but those 8 have already taught me all I need to know about motorcycle dealerships. Always expect the worst. Expect to be ripped off, cheated, lied to, scammed, have your paperwork "lost", be sold a POS lemon that's been abused, the setup to be horribly wrong (bolts not tightened, chain adjustment horribly incorrect, things broken and missing) etc. etc.

This is why next time I buy a new motorcycle I will be going over every square inch of it with a fine-toothed comb before I even sign any paperwork, and I certainly will not be riding it home this time. Knowing the way these monkeys put things together... After an extremely thorough inspection it will get trucked home for an additional thorough inspection/setup/adjustment before I ride it out of the driveway. Also price will not be my only consideration as to which dealership I buy from; always research all the local dealers online to try and find the least objectionable among them as far as ratings and reveiws. Some of the big stealers around here get multiple one and two star reviews for their despicable ways.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
It's funny, but the last three motorcycles I have bought new from the local Yamaha dealer and the local BMW dealer have actually turned out to be as near perfect in every respect as anyone could hope for. This most certainly is not the norm and I consider myself very lucky to have these great dealers nearby. Doesn't make me any less cynical, though.:p

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It's funny, but the last three motorcycles I have bought new from the local Yamaha dealer and the local BMW dealer have actually turned out to be as near perfect in every respect as anyone could hope for. This most certainly is not the norm and I consider myself very lucky to have these great dealers nearby. Doesn't make me any less cynical, though.:p
Actually not too funny at all. As the GM at a Honda/Kawasaki and KTM dealership I quickly learned that one of my set up guys needed to find a different job while the other was a gem. Almost every machine that came back in the first few days was set up by Jethroe or Richard Head as I came to call him and he was a relative of the owner who I could not fire!

GaryL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts