·
Registered
7,369 Posts
TW Fans,

This is what Yamaha has available here. No TWs though :(

Yamaha

Best from Ulaanbaatar,

-MP
They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Think of it as a TW that you can buy tires for anywhere in the world. Such as, say.... Mongolia. But seriously, who lives there, anyway.....

AGman can probably give you a more accurate rendering of the realities of riding them onroad. The tranny is geared lower than an XT or a TW. But everything else you need is included in the price of admission.

I don't know where the Shineray products fall in the Chinabike quality hierarchy, but the military uses their XL200-ish clone that is equipped similarly to a farm bike, has all the racks, a big, honkin' 5 gallon tank and a backup CDI system, standard.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'd be quite happy with an AG bike.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
looks like the seat would be more comfortable.....

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I want one too!

·
Registered
6,068 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lizard....when you see my posts with photos of the wide-open spaces just outside of this awful city, you might want to come live here yourself :p

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Lizard....when you see my posts with photos of the wide-open spaces just outside of this awful city, you might want to come live here yourself :p
Awesome country. Lots to see. Most of it pretty hard to reach, I bet.

Buy an AG and I'll come visit with a set of new primary gears. I don't need a bike. Gimme one of them tough little horses.

But only during your 3 weeks of warmth. I'm a fragile flower.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have to wonder if it has the exact same engine as our TWs and could be refitted with a TW rear swing arm and fat tire. My suspicion is the front sprocket shaft is not as long so the fat tire will not work.

That seat sure does look inviting to my rear end and coming with all the racks is a major plus.

We need Pete to get off some of his Millions and buy one of the AGs so he can tear it down and let us know what stuff will cross fit our TWs. I want that nice wide seat for my skinny rear!

GaryL

Reactions: Mongol Pete

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Gary, AGman has already filled in the blanks on a lot of that. I'm glad he showed up here. Our motor is essentially an XT200 motor with a longer output shaft. The Ag's motor seems to be the same XT200 motor with lower primary gear and a short shaft. I've had a devil of a time verifying that little piece of info until he showed up.

I need to do a bit more homework to be sure, but the reverse should also be true if you wanted to regear the TW tranny lower without splitting cases. It's possible that a TrMoto or one of the quads used the same gears as the AG. Something I'd not considered. This may also be one of the unnoticed differences between the U.S. versions of the XT and TTR versions of the motor. Could be worth looking into for some.

Pete. I know you have your mouth set on a TW, but I'll play devil's advocate in favor of the AG in your situation should importing a TW continue to be the hassle that it has. Making lemonade may not be as sour tasting as you'd think.

The AG is genetically closer to a TW than anything else in the line. You get genuine Yamaha quality and they're available brand new there.

Fully equipped with all the factory racks, kickstands, and armor it will weigh less than the BASE weight of either a TW, XT225 or XT250. I calculate that it could even be lightened further by replacing the handguards and skidplate with aftermarket aluminum items, though I doubt they'd be any more effective. A swap to a larger plastic tank will reduce it even further. The chaincase is kinda handy and greatly misunderstood, but it could be sacrificed with the addition of an o-ring chain if it bugs you. I'd have to crunch the numbers but the gearing could probably be rectified with sprockets without the chain case.

AGman has confirmed that is literally two little primary gears away from having the same road gearing as all of the above, and they can be changed in an afternoon. I'll send you some. On paper it will be quicker than a TW, about as quick as an XT225 and probably easier on fuel than either one. It also has a larger stock fuel tank than a TW.

FWIW iit's exactly what I'd build for your situation. In fact if it was an option in the U.S. it's what I'd build to ride around the world because the TW's fat tires are its biggest liability almost anywhere but here, Oz and Europe. I think it's safe to say that I'm one of the world's most vocal fans of the TW but even I would have to think twice about putting square pegs into round holes.

One thing seems certain. You'll have the only one in the world that is being beaten on for travel instead of chasing sheep. lol.

Anyway, it's another way to go, but maybe a bit more of a lateral move than a total departure?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Lizrd is right, if I could get an AG bike, I'd be all over it. The fat tire is nice.....IF you can get one. I've considered having a wheel built for the rear of my TW so I could run 5.10's front and rear. The same tire on both ends would help me a lot.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I remembered reading this ride report: 2 brothers bought AG200's to tour Mongolia, then sold them back to the dealer when they left. I'll have to re-read it...its been a while.

Mongolia on two Yamaha AG100's - ADVrider

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Rhodetrip, what a great find.

*for the new folks who don't know Rhodetrip....
He makes absolutely great pins for hats, jackets or what have you. They are very nicely made and look great. Good folks, fast shipping and did I mention cheaply priced, everyone should have one if they are proud of their TW.
Here is the link to see them.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/4562-shameless-plug-rhodetrip.html

Reactions: Rhodetrip

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It seems a good strategy. That would be my Mongolia/Asia strategy, as well. Depending upon the realities of crossing borders with a foreign-owned bike, of course. The devil can sometimes be in the bureacratic details.

But as far as the bike is concerned it would be a no-brainer. Knowing that the bike would be pre-farkled in stock form I'd arrange the bike purchase in advance if possible, then make my way to Mongolia with little more than my riding and traveling gear, one of my oil coolers and a couple of primary gears and a side cover gasket in my pocket. An hour later I'd be on the road, bikewise.

Then I'd head straight to Pete's, drink all his airag, steal all his bungee cords, hang out on his couch til he gave me the boot, and roll from there.

Seriously, I think this would work anywhere that farm bikes are available. Which admittedly isn't a lot of places but you could possibly do an entire continent on the same bike. If you're a Honda guy you could do similar homework on the Bushmaster, which is based on the XR/XL platform. The Suzuki offering is based on a DR200, Kawi guys have the Stockman..... etc. All are pre-farkled, basic and ready to rock-n-roll.

Depending on the vagaries involving ownership and borders you could do Africa on a South African farm bike, Asia on the next one, Oz on the next, etc. Arrive with a toothbrush, then sell it on exit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts