TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got new battery in and it requires adding the acid to activate. As far as I have ever known this alone would mean that is cannot be an AGM battery, Correct or not. All the advertising and spec sheet insists it is an agm but it is like every other lead acid battery I have ever seen only with out a vent port for my down tube. the company said it was a compatible replacement and there was even a tw200 reviewer that said it was a little smaller but worked fine. I already don't want this on my bike but what do you think the deal is. ?? Just plain deception ? maybe I am all wet and this is a little normal, I am calling BS and scam but am I wrong ?? In all fairness I did pay lead acid prices !! Posting a pic, please ignore my Pet Cock in the background :)

battery.JPG

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
In my experience....As soon as you tell a retailer the make and model anything else you say goes in one ear and out the other. For best result, I give specific details of the product I'm looking for. Brand, product number, etc. If one detail was off I would not be pleased.

Just googled the number
"APTZ7S-BS Kinetik® Dry Charge 12V 6Ah 100CCA

$34.74"

and...
https://www.amazon.com/APTZ7S-Battery-Honda-CRF450X-2005-2014/dp/B01DL5FGSG

or

https://fortnine.ca/en/yuasa-maintenance-free-battery

Weird....according to the fortnine listing you have to set it up and then it's sealed.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I bought an AGM battery the other day from a local shop, Battery Warehouse $90 with a one year pro rated warranty. The lead acid batteries I’ve been running always seem to need refilling.
I bought a Lithium battery last April that I had to send back under warranty.
I’ll see how these batteries work out in my two TWs

·
Registered
7,106 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I bought an AGM battery for my 1993 and it is smaller and lighter than stock. I didn't have to do anything to it but I did top it off with a trickle charger anyway before using it. This is the only battery that I have been able to use the electric starter on for more than 6 months. Mine was about $35.00 and it is the best battery I have ever had. I like the AGM battery. I guess some businesses may not set up the AGM battery in order to save money. I hope you got a good deal. Be sure to follow all of the directions for the best results and longevity.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It seems very strange that an AMG battery would come dry and make you fill it yourself. I have never heard of that. But you say there is no vent hose on it? Maybe it is actually an AMG?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Absorbed Gas Mat is not liquid.
It is sealed.
No liquid can be added.
No electrolyte can evaporate or leak.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think they are shipped unassembled (even the AGM ) and need to be set up, sealed, and charged once they're received. If you bought them from one of your local shops they may have set it up for you and then sealed it. It is common to ship batteries uncharged and for that matter without the lead acid in it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
AGM batteries cannot have acid added...PERIOD! That is the whole point of that type of battery! Absorbed Glass Mat. NO LIQUID!! :mad:
Doc is correct.
You seem certain....
"Comes with pre-measured acid tubes that easily empties into battery.
Includes a seal that is then placed across top of battery to create a sealed, spill-proof battery.
Never needs refilling but may need periodic charging.
1-year manufacturers warranty."

https://fortnine.ca/en/yuasa-maintenance-free-battery

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
AGM batteries cannot have acid added...PERIOD! That is the whole point of that type of battery! Absorbed Glass Mat. NO LIQUID!! :mad:
Doc is correct.
i think the agm is a lead acid battery. the glass mat is between the plates and absorbs the acid once it is poured in

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know, Crazy I agree with everybody above, Where you pour the acid in is sealed with foil tape so i cannot look inside without commiting to keeping it. I could look in and see the plates of an non agm !!. just curious if there is some kind of an AGM that could soak up the acid after installing it, maybe just maybe. i can see the acid being impregnated after manufacturing rather than building up batteries from activited agm material so I could possible see it. I paid $29 so not killing me :) I think I am am going to peal it and look, if it is a plate type either try it pr give to a scooter guy in the spring somewhere. ??

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could not see down in the holes, So I just went for it. Directions said it may take hours for the battery to fully accept all of the acid and that was a little confidence inspiring to my maybe theory. Well it finished taking all the acid while I was typing this, my best conclusion is that is is false advertising and are simple liquid lead acid sealed batteries. I will try but keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just put this one on a .750 amp tender for over night and tomorrow my new tank petcock valve arrives so it will be all back together and I can take it for a ride as I have not yet rode my bargain 2003. it is fully serviced with new oil, carb and entire fuel system cleaned and it is going to be partially sunny and 83 degrees in southern Indiana, record warm. Holy crap i love global warming.

Just for the record Elime's link I repeated here sets the standard for TW agm battery bargains, wish I had found it. These cheap f.ers are tough to get 2 years out of and i will buy premium next time if I can figure out what that is.

https://www.batterysharks.com/Sigmas...saArVfEALw_wcB

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Global warming? It's 5 below here this morning! And yes, you got a regular old lead acid battery, so don't let the bike take a nap for more than a few seconds!

These have lasted 5 years: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZAGNQY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

two years at $30 = $60 or five years at $47....you figure.
Thanks for the reference to a known battery with a track record. I'll get a couple of those. I am good about using tenders so I get good life usually anyway. But this is an undersized little piece of misrepresented crap and the one in my 16 is original and of unknown care since I did not buy it new.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Has anyone here actually googled AGM? Not all AGMs are factory sealed and require assembly/charge.

I think if you read my posts, quotes, and links you'll find it is an AGM battery.

Oh yeah...and I believe all AGM are lead acid but sealed.
Yes Trail Woman, I agree with you, some AGM batteries needs to be filled up and sealed by the owner himself and yes all AGM are lead acid but sealed and if you guys do your research like she did you'll find out she is indeed correct!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts