1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
566 Posts
Agreed on last years colors. I like the red/white/blue for this year though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I really like it.

If the engine was better, I'd probably get one. Singles are OK, but I just can't understand why they didn't put one of the silky smooth inline twins they're known for on this bike. Either building a new 249cc from scratch, or re-using the age-old 233cc found on the Rebel/Nighthawk 250 with a modernized CDI and EFI for a little bit more power; enough to easily cruise 65-75.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well as far as the engine choice goes, it is my understanding that they went with this 250 single to save costs. It is simple and easy to mass-produce (remember that this is a world-market, mega-mass-produced motorcycle). A 350 single would have sold better in the U.S. However, in other countries, the small increase in cost to make a 350 would probably drive away more buyers than the higher selling price would earn Honda. While the engine is a bit low on power, I think it is a good engine that should be reliable for 30-40k miles if well cared for. Although I would LOVE this bike if it were a 350, which is probably my all-around favorite engine size for a motorcycle, I still really like it as an economical commuter that you can still have a lot of fun with on a twisty road and that looks decent (more so for 2013). I'm sure this motorcycle would have no trouble cruising the highway at 70 mph, while getting 70 mpg.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know exactly how you feel about the 350's man...I've said time and time again that a 350 twin is the perfect bike to have a blast on, so long as you're not one of the crazy guys that needs a top speed of 180+ and a 0-60 time of 2 seconds.

Fairly lightweight(350 pounds would be nice), an easy 65-75 miles a gal, somewhere around 30-35 hp which is plenty of power with tall enough gears to cruise up to 70-80 without the engine running so hard; something you just can't quite do with a 250. The engine should easily go a hundred or two thousand miles without a problem.

We might get lucky one day. I wish I was mechanically inclined enough to buy an old CB350/360 and restore it & maintain it...but all I'm good for is screw-type valve adjustments and oil changes so far.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my favorite motorcycle right now is the Beta 350RS dual sport. Absolutely fantastic! I'd kill for one. The only thing I'd change on it had I designed the whole thing myself would be the seat height. I'd have it a couple inches lower at about 34 inches. Other than that it's exactly everything I want in a street legal dirt bike, except of course the price, and the as-yet somewhat unkown - to me at least - long term reliability. Now if only Suzuki would do away with the DRZ400/reinvent the DR350 (modern suspension and styling/fuel injection, maybe call it something different), and price it on a similar level to the WR250R. That would be awesome, and it would fly off U.S. dealership floors.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
great bike but i agree on the slightly bigger engine...now if they could only get rid of those ugly stock exhausts they have been putting on some of these bikes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts