TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
one interesting sidenote encountered while figuring out that my cdi was bad, was the ol' new component you'd never suspect failing trick, in this case a new-out-of-the-box-a-month-ago ngk spark plug.

the bike ran fine (~1/2 hour) with this plug when i froze the cdi.

later, i was testing a ford duraspark ignition i had hooked up to the bike (fires fine but just idles, no advance, another post).

after a while, the bike would start, and then fade. i pulled the plug out to verify fire.

tw_plugbad1_web.jpg
it sparked good just a couple times, then faded. i noticed some sizzling and smoke right where the post emerges from the porcelain, and up the side of the porcelain. you can see the arcing a little here. unburnt gas seams to be dampen the leakage somewhat.

tw_plugbad2_web .jpg
then after it had been fired a bit, dried out, and you look down the barrel - leakorama! walking right thru the sides of the porcelin. bad plug! bad. sit.

tw_pluggood_web.jpg
this is the two year old, tarnished ngk plug i had swapped out. happy, works fine.

another in a long line of cautionary tales.

-

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. It is a good reminder that a new component may not always work properly. When diagnosing, I often do not give much thought to a recently replaced part going bad.

·
Registered
229 Posts
NGK makes way too many
Put a Champion in a jap bike

Every company makes a dud from time too time....it just comes at a bad time .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NGK makes way too many
Put a Champion in a jap bike
i've had really bad luck with champions.
one would hope they have improved over the years but i avoid them.

my first choice is bosch when available, then ngk.

i recently had a new automotive starter solinoid stick "on". so turning off the key wouldn't stop the engine from cranking. i had to jump out, grab vice grips, open the hood, and unbolt a battery teminal to get it to stop. the motorcylist parked in the space ahead of my truck was not impressed.

the reason i mention this is that the solinoid was "standard" brand, good name, good quality, a lot of their stuff was north american made. oh, but this solinoid was "red box" standard, which is now their economy line, not "blue box" standard , which is now suposedly the good stuff.

which is to say brand loyalty is like the damn cape for the bull sometimes but what can you do. maybe i shoulda gone for the blue cape?

-

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep , know what you mean
Good switches have silver contacts . copper contacts under high amp loads tend to stick . A week battery compounds that . If you could have hit the solenoid with the vice grips in MOST cases would have released the contacts . Bosch is good enough for us Germans Shame that they have two different lines . Really does not cost that much more to make good stuff . But to a big shot maker a million pennies = 10 thousand dollars. still a shame what they do to the public to pay the CEO's outrageous salaries

1 - 7 of 7 Posts