TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing searches because I know I have seen discussions on here about batteries but I am having no luck finding what I know I have read in the past.

A bit back, I asked my local dealer about a maintenance free battery and they told me there isn't one for the TW.

I suspect you all have a different opinion and I would like to hear recommendations for a replacement battery or please direct me to the thread I need to view. :D

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Rocky Mountain has a good deal on a TW Battery for around $40.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,706 Posts
Dette - your dealer is full of it

You can find wet cell batteries that are "maintenance free"

Gell batteries that are "maintenance free"

Lithium batteries that "maintenance free"

The only thing that's not "maintenance free" is your dealer

I'll be back in 24hrs to give you some links .......

·
Super Moderator
17,626 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks all.....I may need to create a spreadsheet to organize all this....I appreciate all the help. :D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I believe Ytz7s by Yuasa is also an option. The Battery Tender batteries , I believe are made by Shorai......I could be mistaken though. Yuasa also has a another battery on the market , can't remember it name though...... a bit cheeper than the Parent Yuasa battery......made in the same factory also.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Battery Tender lithium is the juice of choice for me these days. I'd rather carry gear than battery. :)

--
Richard

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Shorai in my 1989 TW. Been in for two plus years. Very light and small. Never failed to start w/elect starter, I also have kick on mine, and I have never had to charge it. Superb battery.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
My battery tender battery has been good on my 2004 TW. But i might not use a lithium battery on my 1987 since its charging system seems to hang at a lower voltage a lot of the time. Lithium batteries like to charge at 14.4 volts. If you drag them below 13.2 V they can be damaged. The 87 TW is the only year i think this would be an issue with. Lead acid chemistry is much more tolerant of low voltage in wet cell or gel cell.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I believe Ytz7s by Yuasa is also an option. The Battery Tender batteries , I believe are made by Shorai......I could be mistaken though. Yuasa also has a another battery on the market , can't remember it name though...... a bit cheeper than the Parent Yuasa battery......made in the same factory also.
This is a good option. I've got 1 year on mine and it spins the bike over as good as the day i put it in. Just shove some cardboard around the battery to take up the excess space and your good to go. It's sealed so you don't have to worry about acid draining on you or your bike when you dump the bike and for around $25 with free shipping on eBay I don't really see how you can go wrong image.jpg

·
Registered
19,197 Posts
Dette, I would recommend the Battery Tender Lithium battery as an affordable long term investment in happy reliable starting.
I am now a fan of lithium batteries. Two wet cell batteries lasted about five worry free years, just needed to top up electrolyte several times annually. Then I bottom fished for a ~$25 gel battery that lasted 2 weeks. So went for the Shorie spending a bit more than the Battery Tender Li for piece of mind.
Came with foam blocks so no need for cardboard.:)
Faster cranking speed seems like a big help in starting the bike.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a shorai in my TW and i like it. My only gripe is that it goes flat when the temps dip below freezing for a long time and i don't ride the bike. It has happened to me more than once where it was stone cold dead, not just in the needs to be "warmed up" kind of dead but would not even light the headlight the tiniest bit kind of dead. Happened to me on sat when we went for a ride. Thankfully i have a kick start..... In warm weather i can leave it for weeks on end and it will fire right up every time. I have tried leaving a tender plugged in but that does not work if i leave it be for a while, i need to get the special charger they sell if i want to do that.

I had the same issue with my Ducati and for that bike i really didn't like it since i have no other option for starting and it would go totally flat overnight. Shorai's answer is to use their charger but that does me no good if im off somewhere and i need to start the bike...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
My experience with the Battery Tender Li battery has been a little different. I bought the battery and proper charger from Amazon, installed the battery, started/spun the starter motor a couple times, then let it sit for a few days. I then plugged the charger in and left it for a few days. Then I tried to start it,,,,,,nothing. I called Amazon, found out their warranty is 30 days, I was SOL. I called Deltran, the manufacturer of Battery Tender, they said send it in, their warranty is one year. They replaced it. I did the same thing, thinking I had just gotten a faulty battery. Same result. I called them back. They told me they send their batteries out discharged to about 70% or something like that. If it goes much below that, the battery won't take a charge, so charge it before using it. They were great about taking care of me, and that is much appreciated. I still need a battery for my '87, but haven't decided which one to buy. I would think I would like the larger battery TWilight is buying for his TW.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts