TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new battery with a full charge and after a 30 min ride its dead. It will start when I kick it but just clicking when I hit button. Do they have alternators?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
They have something called a stator ,check your connections before doing anything else ,check your charging voltages before and after the regulator -rectifier .Procedures should be in the repair manual .

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
What year TW and make of new battery ( new batteries can fail ). If you have another bike with a similiar battery, stick it in the TW for comparison.....troubling shooting .

·
Registered
369 Posts
The older tw's had a minimal charging system along with a 35 watt headlight. The later ones had a better charging system with a 55 watt headlight. many ov the older headlights get a 55 watt H4 bulb installed and that extra 2 amps will overload the charging system unless you are going freeway speeds and have it revved up. I installed a HID bulb in mine that uses 35 watts but only had a single beam. When riding trails I could switch off the low beam and turn the light off. I also installed LED bulbs in front turn signals and instrument cluster saving a little more power.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 98 and I bought one of the cheap ebay ones that I saw guys say worked ok

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
It's a 98 and I bought one of the cheap ebay ones that I saw guys say worked ok

Yep this can happen. Just e mail them and let them know. They should send you a new one if they don't want any negative reviews.
Just tell them you are contacting them about your battery being dead on arrival and would like a replacement before you give any reviews.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Lifes too short for a cheap battery

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have too many hobbies to buy top quality stuff. The wife will notice those purchases and expect to spend equal about on useless clothes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts