TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new battery, it is a AGM battery and a little smaller than stock in size but more CCA. it is 12V-6ah-180cca. bought from PowerSportBatteries.com batery#WPZ7S price 43.90 shipping 7.95 totle 51.85 ordered on 12-2-2013 received 12-6-2013 . temp. is 24* outside and tw started faster then with stock battery:cool:. will let you know in time how it is working out.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Who makes this battery?. Is it from Japan , China or ?. Just curious. I had a China made battery in the TW when I bought it a couple of yeears ago.....leaked a bit of fluid up through the cap(s).....hadn't even taken it off road at that point?.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have an AGM in my BMW R65 that has been there and cranking fine for over 8 years! YRMV

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who makes this battery?. Is it from Japan , China or ?. Just curious. I had a China made battery in the TW when I bought it a couple of yeears ago.....leaked a bit of fluid up through the cap(s).....hadn't even taken it off road at that point?.
power source batteries distributed by lynn vick products,made in vietnam.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I just bought a new battery, it is a AGM battery .......
I put an AGM in first thing on my new bike because the original had been sitting dead on the dealers floor for 6 months and I didn't trust it. He offered to replace with new but I said no, I want an AGM. Got a few bucks off.
Three years and 6,500 miles later it's still fine. The nice thing is AGM's can sit upside down for quite a while and never leak acid into your battery compartment!:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
I put in a Shorai Lithium battery in my TW last summer . My son did most of last summer's riding but it appears to be perfect. Bike is away just now until next summer so all I can observe is the first year was what I expected it to be.
The Shorai spun the battery very rapidly and it never failed to start - not much else can be asked of a bike batterry

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I put in a Shorai Lithium battery in my TW last summer .
Just as a caution, I put one in my BMW, and although the battery has performed just fine, I did not find that it held a charge in cold weather NEARLY as well as the advertising suggested. The Beemer may well have some parasitic draw, but I needed to put it on the Battery Tender Jr. at least every two weeks. I'm not sure that leaving it on a tender for the whole winter is a good idea, so I just hook it up for a day or two about twice a month. I'll bet if you pull it and keep it at 30 or so it may go the whole winter, but getting it out of the Beemer is such a hassle I won't do it.

Saves a LOT of weight!

BTW, I only have to charge the AGM battery on the TW once a month for a day with the BT Jr., but I doubt if the TW has any parasitic draw as long as the terminals are clean.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
AGman;92735 I wonder if the battery doesn't hold a charge or it won't supply it's charge in cold weather?[/QUOTE said:
Well, supposedly the Li batteries do a great job of supplying a good jolt when cold, and hold a charge for a long time, but that hasn't been my experience. It seemed to do that when new, I started the bike fine at around 20 F. no problem. However, last winter I let it go flat (see above), like down to 3-4 volts, and the Battery Tender Jr. would not even charge it. I had to apply about 10 amps from an automotive charger to get it back. It's been fine ever since as long as I keep it well charged, but there is a significant likelihood that I damaged it. The directions specifically say not to ever let it get below 11 volts or so.:mad: If I let it go for two weeks at about 30 F. I can really tell it's laboring to start the BMW.

So I would think that as long as you are careful to keep a Shorai in a good state of charge, it would perform just fine down to -10 C, especially on a fairly easy to crank bike like the TW. My AGM in the TW is not so particular, besides being half the cost.....I can let it go for at least a month at those temps before giving it a charge.

·
Registered
736 Posts
its easy enough to take the battery out, so I pull mine in the winter and keep it on the workbench. that way I can put the Battery Tender on every month or so. I do the same with my other small batteries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same here. I have 4 batteries sitting on my work bench. I keep the tender on one and switch off every week or so.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In our summer riding period I have up to half a dozen different older bikes I enjoy riding. Each of them has a different size and style of battery. About five years ago I got fed up with having to replace them every couple of years and so I installed a bunch of trickle chargers on individual timers. Each battery gets about 1 hour per day.
The exception to this is my R90S which has a glass matt battery - it has its own "smart charger" which does its own thing on keeping the battery fully prepped for the next ride.
Since I have been doing this all the bikes are ready to go the minute I get south. And often the first thing I want to do is go for a ride. Slip on a jacket and slap on my helmet, insert the key and hit the starter and they repond and are ready to go in seconds.
I did purchase Shorai smart charger for the Lithium in my TW - it has a circuit for year round charging so I should be able to just plug it in and leave it for the winter

·
Registered
90 Posts
FWIW, I have the Shorai and the Shorai charger on my Husky.
Rode all winter down to -10C, never had any probs.

A friend of mine stuck a Shorai into his TW that he keeps in the Bahamas.
The stocker battery died from heat and long periods of inactivity.
I shall ask him how its doing....

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
On the Shorai's,my understanding is,when it is cold out ( if your having issues with starting) turn your lights on for a few moments and that actually warms up the battery?......I believe I read that on their site?.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
On the Shorai's,my understanding is,when it is cold out ( if your having issues with starting) turn your lights on for a few moments and that actually warms up the battery?......I believe I read that on their site?.
Correct, I spoke with them directly regarding this, I was told to turn on the high beam and walk away for 5 minutes then try again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got mine in the mail yesterday and didn't realize that how small it would be. I am curious what you did for space filler around the smaller size battery.

I just bought a new battery, it is a AGM battery and a little smaller than stock in size but more CCA. it is 12V-6ah-180cca. bought from PowerSportBatteries.com batery#WPZ7S price 43.90 shipping 7.95 totle 51.85 ordered on 12-2-2013 received 12-6-2013 . temp. is 24* outside and tw started faster then with stock battery:cool:. will let you know in time how it is working out.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Just got mine in the mail yesterday and didn't realize that how small it would be. I am curious what you did for space filler around the smaller size battery.
I used pieces of packing foam around my AGM battery.

The Shorai comes with foam spacers.

jb

·
Registered
422 Posts
AGman - from what my research suggested it is the chemistry of the battery that tapers off - it still holds its charge - but the chemistry does not allow it to release the charge at lower temperatures.
Running in a location where it does not drop below freezing should present no temperature related issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have a link to where you bought yours? Maybe I can buy some spacer material from them as.... mine did not come with anything but the battery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts