TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to the Boghorn tire after my Tirra Cross fell apart inside the rim and popped my tube. Damn. I do like the Bighorn but it seems to have less traction on rough terrain. I thought it would be good to groove it to get that extra grip. Ihe next step is to Sipe the tread and I will post it after its done.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you feel any differences on offroad rides?

Your selfmade profile looks quite interessting.
I can't say there is a difference but it must help. The tread is much more flexable at the grooves and should grab better. I did not ride the bike much before I grooved it so? I noticed a big difference grooving and sipeing my front and back tire when I had the Terra Cross. I now it will help this tire.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I can't say there is a difference but it must help. The tread is much more flexable at the grooves and should grab better. I did not ride the bike much before I grooved it so? I noticed a big difference grooving and sipeing my front and back tire when I had the Terra Cross. I now it will help this tire.

Ronnydog

What groover are you using? As if by magic, my Bighorn2 lost its "not for highway" designation, and I'm thinking that grooving it would not only add traction, but make it appear more civilized to those who may question the "miracle".

Are you back to running a 55?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What groover are you using? As if by magic, my Bighorn2 lost its "not for highway" designation, and I'm thinking that grooving it would not only add traction, but make it appear more civilized to those who may question the "miracle".

Are you back to running a 55?

I have been running a 55 tooth for a short time. Going back to the 70 tooth soon. I was going to use the extra back rim to put my 70 tooth and a new tire so the swap would be simple and I could try a different tire.

The tire groover is made by Ideal Heated Knife 250 Watts. Got it from www.speedwaymotors.com 800-979-0122

Ronnydog

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Ronnydog,

Have you ever grooved the stock rear tire? I have the bighorn on right now and love it off road and in the mud, but once my boy grows up and moves on I will like go back the the stock tire for dual sport riding. I found the rear stocker sucked offroad - esp in the mud, but I've been wondering about how it would do grooved.... Thoughts.

How about this groover:

Homemade Tire Groover

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
LOL

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Wow... Huskvarna makes a tire groover.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Ronnydog: Have you ever grooved the stock rear tire? If so, how did that work offroad?

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
I was thinking that when I go back to dual sport riding instead of pure offroad (currently) that I would take off the bighorn and go back to the stock rear tire. But, it would be nice to have some better traction with the stock rear, so I got to thinking about grooving the stocker....Hmmm....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts