TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself. This is my first bike, I bought it used about three weeks ago off of craigslist for 4000$ w/rack and cargo bag. It’s a 2018 beige/tan TW200 with 1300mi and I’ve already done a few mods (jimbo windshield,zeta handguards, richochet skidplate, and more) Check out my video I posted on YouTube where I go over the details
https://youtu.be/AYfpDscbon4

I plan on moving out west from New Jersey and love the outdoors so I picked up this bad boy to get around a lil easier when I’m not traveling in my DIY adventure van (not ready yet). I fell in love with this bike the moment I saw it at the nyc motorcycle expo last December. My brother was trying to talk me into a 250cc class dual sport from Honda, kalasaki, and Suzuki; but the seat heights were to tall for me as I am 5’6”. I really just wanna take it ez and chug along trails without having to worry about falling off and getting wrecked. I do a lot of hiking/backpacking/camping so my main concern was having bike that was reliable and easy to fix along the way. Ive been a local 1 elevator constructor in the nyc area for over 7 years so I’m pretty handy with tools and mechanical engineering.
I love everything about this bike from the color to its simplicity and hope it will last me many years of exciting adventures

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Welcome! Nice bike! Sounds like a good deal to me. I’ve heard Yamaha doesn’t normally bring the TW to bike shows. As an elevator constructor, your TW should seem like a breeze to wrench on. Adventure van + TW = Big Fun. Post pics of both as you deck them out.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Welcome the 18s have a great color. You’ll have fun with the TW added to your van.

·
Registered
19,418 Posts
Very nice. The new skidplate should work well with the hydraulic carrier. The flat bottom makes it a bit easier to slide the bike around until pegs & peg restraint all align well. ( I just get my bike casually on the platform, then jack it up a bit until tires are clear, then wiggle until sun and stars and peg holes all align properly)

Since I can't be the first to welcome you perhaps I can be the first to recommend a superior front tire? Can't have the "DeathWing" front tire wash out on you and causing that nice new bodywork to get scratched.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I see you have already made one of the most important upgrades: A sheepskin!!! Oops, I mean a beaver skin! And I echo Fred....the OEM front tire is OK on pavement, but it sucks in the dirt. Don't find out the hard way.
Other than checking the oil level in the forks and setting it to around 130 mm, you don't need to do much else for a while. They are so much fun!

Let us know 20 years and 35,000 miles from now how it does! :p

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome! I'm also new and dream of living the #Vanlife. I took baby steps by converting a Suburban into an adventure rig suited for a week or three.

I too am a backpacker. So when you get out west maybe we can do some moto camping 🙂

Bike looks great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and tips.
The van I’m using is a 2005 Chevy express 3500 6.0l v8 . It has the access door package (see pics, still under construction!)

As for the front tire, I do plan on changing it out to a more aggressive tread but will prob ride on it till the warmer weather. Would love to drive some hex headed screws into the old tire for some ice traction when i become a better rider ��

Originally I wanted to do a sheepskin seat cover but couldn’t find any good options out there in the internet. truthfully, I doubt the sheared beaver pelt will hold up, beaver isn’t normally used for upholstery.

I ordered the jack-it-up switch hauler after having a miserable experience with an mx motohauler replica sold on amazon

https://www.alljackedupinc.com

I’ve been speaking to ken, the owner (I believe), he’s been very helpful getting all my questions answered, even making custom components for my specific setup. I’ll be posting a new thread with plenty pics and videos when it arrives! It’s similar to the mx hauler sold on amazon but much better quality!
*It has two threaded pins to lock the assembly in the loaded position as opposed to the one pin from other manufactures.
*The lifting jack is a big red, other haulers use cheap no names.
*the carriage is interchangeable and removable.
*All the hardware is grade 8, and includes nylon washers between the moving parts (other manufactures dont this)
*every component is manufactured using a jig, so nothing is out of square or alignment

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Daedalous, Welcome to the forum. I just picked up my first TW200 before Xmas and love it. I'm also working on moding it out over the winter, so I'll be ready to roll this spring. I may get the same seat cushion you did. I like the look and I'm sure it's more comfortable for long rides.

I noticed in your video that your Jimbo windshield isn't properly installed and I don't want you to lose it during transport / riding. The holes in the side of the windshield are supposed to match up with the mounting points of the headlight shroud. In your video, I could see the windshield mounting hole was above the rubber grommet from the headlight shroud. The rubber grommet for the shroud should go through the hole in the windshield. You have to remove the rubber shroud grommets, add the two rubber washers that came with the windshield, put the windshield over the rubber washers, and then put the shroud grommets back on. Once you're done, the windshield and the headlight shroud both mount to the same posts. I hope that makes sense.... I took a screen shot of your video so you can see what I'm referring to....

The bike looks great! Happy riding.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 1.51.26 PM.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha! i knew someone would notice! i had just recieved the windshield and temporarily it placed behind the cowel to see what it looks like. thanks for pointing it out, i did install it properly shortly after recording the video. see pics below. ordering the windshield through jimbo was a breeze, he was very helpful and sent the package out super fast and safe. would def recommend jimbo windshields to anyone looking for a windshield on their tw200!

D24E2E42-B0DA-4E29-B275-957E108BA963.jpeg
459545FB-94D6-4D89-A2D3-930C23B66D3C.jpeg
94FA11F4-AE29-48C3-9D23-DA6661DC6CA6.jpeg
2161E7AE-C589-4C74-B14F-EFBFA03606B6.jpeg

Hi Daedalous, Welcome to the forum. I just picked up my first TW200 before Xmas and love it. I'm also working on moding it out over the winter, so I'll be ready to roll this spring. I may get the same seat cushion you did. I like the look and I'm sure it's more comfortable for long rides.

I noticed in your video that your Jimbo windshield isn't properly installed and I don't want you to lose it during transport / riding. The holes in the side of the windshield are supposed to match up with the mounting points of the headlight shroud. In your video, I could see the windshield mounting hole was above the rubber grommet from the headlight shroud. The rubber grommet for the shroud should go through the hole in the windshield. You have to remove the rubber shroud grommets, add the two rubber washers that came with the windshield, put the windshield over the rubber washers, and then put the shroud grommets back on. Once you're done, the windshield and the headlight shroud both mount to the same posts. I hope that makes sense.... I took a screen shot of your video so you can see what I'm referring to....

The bike looks great! Happy riding.

View attachment 188584

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CXS234, if you’re ordering the mad dog seat cover, you may have to notch out some areas on the fairings where the seat meets the fairings, this is due to the buckles that get tucked underneath and around the seat. It shouldn't be visible if done carefully. thankg again, good luck with ur bike!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts