TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i have been tossing around the idea of getting another bike that's more highway worthy for commuting and 2 up riding since i do a lot of driving and i'd rather ride but neither the TW nor the Husky are good on the highway...not selling the TW but may sell the Husky...

want list:
commute friendly (90 miles daily)
comfortable for 2-up riding (seating-wise and power-wise)
low maintenance
reilable
somewhat light
decent power for it's weight
fuel injection
bags/storage
windshield

looking at:
Triumph Bonneville 09+ (for fuel injection)
Honda CB1100 (not sure if i want to go back to an inline 4)
Kawasaki Versys
Yamaha Star Bolt (2014 all new, need more info)
Triumph Tiger 800
Ducati Multistrada
BMW F 800 GS
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100

list of brands i would consider buying a bike from:
honda
yamaha
suzuki
kawasaki
husqvarna
ktm
husaberg
bmw
royal enfield
triumph
aprilia
ducati
victory
harley davidson
beta
moto guzzi
mv agusta
gas gas
ossa

·
Registered
310 Posts
Probably a bit sportier stance than you are after, but this is on my short list of Japanese bikes to own some day.

The ZRX1100 Kawasaki

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Kawasaki_ZRX-1100_Black-Silver_Paint.jpg

You can typically pick them up for about $4500.00 in good shape. They are freight trains and dead reliable. A modern version of the Universal Japanese Machine. Should be fairly upright seating for you and the passenger, but not as much as a cruiser.

However, it'd be about 100x more fun for me to ride than a Shadow or a VTX. Especially when I was alone and guilt free. I've ridden V-star 1600 and Vulcan 1500 bikes.. they feel a lot like my riding mower and turn corners about as well

If money is no option, check out the big Triumph Tiger.

http://cdn1.automotobounce.com/pics/9f/98/Triumph-tiger-1050-se_deedc.jpg

I LOVED the 1050 triple engine I had in my speed triple. The tiger is the adventure touring bike with luggage and even more upright seating. Triumphs are as reliable as Japanese bikes. I serviced mine on my own because there's free OBD software. I could remap the fuel injection myself with my laptop or run diagnostics on it, etc... But if you need dealer support they're less available. However they're as reliable of a bike.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yea the zrx wouldn't quite fit the bill for what i want to do with it...although it doesn't look too aggressive ergo-wise ( http://cycle-ergo.com/ )...it would be nice to keep the weight down to keep it nimble while keeping the power up but that's a hard combo to come by with what i'm looking for out of a bike

the triumph would be nice but even used it would probably be a little high price-wise for what i'm looking to spend unless i sell the husky which i'd rather not do

·
Registered
310 Posts
The sound of a triple engine is just something special. I am not into V twin stuff really. I'm a parallel twin guy, but my speed triple made me happy every time I heard it

Unfortunately it almost made me lose my driver's license in short order. The TW feels fast, but I'm not actually speeding. As opposed to the Speed Triple that felt like it was sitting still, but I was going 100mph through town.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i like all bikes...i had a couple Honda cbr600rr sport bikes and they were fun but like you said can easily get you into trouble...i realize there is no bike that will do everything you want that's why i have multiple bikes...the TW for light trails and putting around town...the husky for ripping around town...now i just have to find a new one that will fit what i want it to do

·
Registered
34 Posts
Take a good look at the Royal Enfield's. Made in India now, were British for years... so not Japanese.

Mine is the CLASSIC model in dessert storm paint. It is a 500cc thumper (~27 hp) with a 5 speed. I think of it as the all metal version of the TW. It is a comfortable bike and feels more solid than the TW. They are about 7k new and can be much cheaper used. It is my daily driver to work and back and also my tour bike. Gets 60MPG, riding it hard like I tend to do... others say they get 70+ I've had it up to 85... others say they can get it to 100mph... but that isn't my thing.

Only unexpected drawback... I can't go anywhere without attracting a crowd! Took it to a major bike show last year here in Michigan, 1000's of bikes attended, but I had the only RE :) Most think it is a WAR relic bike... until they see the EFI label. It is one of those "different than everyone else bikes".

I can't say I would take it across country, but I do ride it all over Michigan though. I've heard that someone has taken one from the tip of South America all the way to the US. Others in India have ridden 1000's of miles in one trip and offer tour groups on them. There is a cult following for them like for the TW.

At least one RE will always be in my garage just like the TW! :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
^
Sweet bike Chazk3, how's the build quality on them?
Better than a Ural I hope!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks... they come with the pillion seat not shown on the website pictures. I had the dealer custom fab some ammo cans as the side saddle bags. They make a matching shield but I've resisted putting one on... I like the more retro look.

Not a great pic, but it was from the day I brought her home last Aug 3rd :)

2012-08-03 10.42.22-1.JPG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh yeah... forgot to mention that I think the build quality is pretty good. The 2013 and newer ones should be even better because they now made in a brand new "modern" factory with robots and proper paint booths controlled by computers with baked on finishes. 2012 and older were painted by hand with a new batch of paint mixed up seperate for each bike. No 2 bikes really have the same exact color pre 2013. They have signed a deal with Polaris now so they should be easier to find in more dealers soon...

And before anyone asks... no I don't work for RE or get a commision for suggesting them :D I just enjoy mine and don't think many people know about them.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that would be something i would put on the short list considering a removable rear seat and a removable shield is available...you're setup is something i would be interested in plus the shield...the sissy bar isn't a necessity but it would be nice for her...how does it handle?...what's it like on the highway?...at 412 pounds it isn't a huge fatty

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I rode a Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 for a few years. It was reliable, and there are a lot of Honda dealers, and parts are readily available.

You would probably need a new seat if you wanted to do 2-up and want the passenger to be comfortable.

Also had a Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic for a while. Not good for 2-up, but they do make an 1100 cc version.

Both good choices if you want a commuter. You should be able to find used ones at a reasonable price.

Riding cruisers takes a bit of getting used to, if you have been riding standards or sport bikes.

jb

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dang you chazk3 for posting pic of your bike. I going to look into one. webpage said they were unavailable in US. I like the looks of their other schemes too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:D Yeah they have a few nice models... All are in the US I believe... Find a dealer in your area and go look and test ride them... I've said it before and will say it again... Like the TW there will always be at least 1 RE in my garage!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Closest Polaris dealer is about an hour away. Another small town. Doubt they'll have any in stock, but I'm going to check Monday.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Call first... but much to my surprise, the 2 dealers of REs in Michigan each had 5 - 7 on the floor when I went looking. A couple were "new old stock" and had some pretty good prices on them. In the end I ordered the 2012 new and had to wait for them to receive it, but liked the redesign enough to wait. Great thing about RE is they seem to apply all new improvements they find immediately. They don't wait till the next model year.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I ride a Triumph Bonneville T100. Take a look at them also. The bikes are very reliable and beautiful. See one in person and try to test ride it. I bought mine used with 400 miles on it in 2007 for $4500.00. It has never given me any trouble and like the Enfield, always attracts comments from other riders. The seating position is very much like the TW. Anyway, you can't go wrong with any Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I rode a Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 for a few years. It was reliable, and there are a lot of Honda dealers, and parts are readily available.

You would probably need a new seat if you wanted to do 2-up and want the passenger to be comfortable.

Also had a Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic for a while. Not good for 2-up, but they do make an 1100 cc version.

Both good choices if you want a commuter. You should be able to find used ones at a reasonable price.

Riding cruisers takes a bit of getting used to, if you have been riding standards or sport bikes.

jb
thanks for the info...i know you can't compare a 650 to an 1100 but which one did you like better as far as the ride and ergos go?...yea coming from a couple sportbikes, a TW and a husky i'm sure a cruiser would be a huge switch...more power and more weight...loss of nimbleness but more comfort...not sure how i will like it

I ride a Triumph Bonneville T100. Take a look at them also. The bikes are very reliable and beautiful. See one in person and try to test ride it. I bought mine used with 400 miles on it in 2007 for $4500.00. It has never given me any trouble and like the Enfield, always attracts comments from other riders. The seating position is very much like the TW. Anyway, you can't go wrong with any Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha.
i have looked at the triumphs and do like the bonneville for myself but for 2up riding i'm not sure it would be very good...their cruisers don't look too bad and i would even consider a tiger as well...i am between some type of adventure bike and a cruiser bike...so many bikes my head is spinning

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
thanks for the info...i know you can't compare a 650 to an 1100 but which one did you like better as far as the ride and ergos go?...yea coming from a couple sportbikes, a TW and a husky i'm sure a cruiser would be a huge switch...more power and more weight...loss of nimbleness but more comfort...not sure how i will like it

i have looked at the triumphs and do like the bonneville for myself but for 2up riding i'm not sure it would be very good...their cruisers don't look too bad and i would even consider a tiger as well...i am between some type of adventure bike and a cruiser bike...so many bikes my head is spinning
The ergos on the V-Star and Honda were nearly the same.

I sold the 650 because at interstate speeds it was high revving and buzzy (to me)...like the TW... ;)

The 1100 had noticeably more power...much better for 2-up.

I kept the 1100 for 3 years, and sold it because I got BMW fever, not because I didn't like the Honda. I'm over the fever for now. :)

Just to confuse the issue, the Triumph Bonneville is a great bike. I put on the "king and queen" seat , and 2-up isn't bad...depending on the size of your passenger.

jb

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The ergos on the V-Star and Honda were nearly the same.

I sold the 650 because at interstate speeds it was high revving and buzzy (to me)...like the TW... ;)

The 1100 had noticeably more power...much better for 2-up.

I kept the 1100 for 3 years, and sold it because I got BMW fever, not because I didn't like the Honda. I'm over the fever for now. :)

Just to confuse the issue, the Triumph Bonneville is a great bike. I put on the "king and queen" seat , and 2-up isn't bad...depending on the size of your passenger.

jb
great info thanks!...i didnt' realize how many accessories the bonnevilles have...they have just about everything i would want to put on (nice 2up seat, bags, windshield and sissy bar) ( Bonneville | shop.triumphmotorcycles.com )...so at the moment i'm between a honda vt1100, a triumph bonneville and a royal enfield classic...all totally different machines but by the numbers i see below the triumph is looking like it would be the best mix between fun, function, reliability, parts availability and comfort as well as having all the accessories i would want...i also really like the harley davidson softail slim but that is way out of my price range...cause in the end it all comes down to money :mellow:

vt1100 1099cc / 577lb (dry) / 50.3hp / 5 speed / carburated / hp to weight ratio 0.0872
triumph bonneville 865cc / 495lb (wet) / 67hp / 5 speed / fuel injected / hp to weight ratio 0.1354
royal enfield classic 499cc / 412lb (wet) / 27hp / 5 speed / fuel injected / hp to weight ratio 0.0655

compared to the bikes i have now...
tw200 196cc / 279lb (wet) / 16hp / 5 speed / carburated / hp to weight ratio 0.0573
sm510r 501cc / 260 (dry) / 60hp / 6 speed / fuel injected / hp to weight ratio 0.2308

list of brands i would consider buying any kind of bike from...
honda
yamaha
suzuki
kawasaki
husqvarna
ktm
husaberg
bmw
royal enfield
triumph
aprilia
ducati