TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we were out riding, stopped for gas using an ATM card I keep for the purpose. " Card denied." Piles of munny in there, so no reason for it. We used her card instead.

Arrived home and found an interesting piece of mail from the friendly folks at the bank. It seems the People's Republik of Kalifornia is outta munny, and I'd inadvertently allowed one of my bikes ' registrations to expire. They had my accounts tied up until they not only extracted the fees and late charges but a $90 "legal" fee. They also included a note advising me to seek legal counsel if I had an issue with the fees or the manner in which they were collected. $250 later my accounts were freed up. against what was originally a $63 registration fee.

In the past if you failed to meet the deadline you were free and clear until you showed up to pay their ridiculous fees, plus the 100% late fees, etc., yadayada. I have as many as 12 registered vehicles and every year at least one of them escapes my notice and I pony up. Gotten useta that. I've got a few bikes that I've chosen to no longer register, whether they be long-term projects, formerly street legal bikes that I only use on my property. etc. In the past they simply fell off the books after a few years and Cali simply forgot about them. Then they stayed on the books for five years. Then ten. Now I hear they'll never fall off. I assume Cali will now attempt to one-by-one sieze my assets for these as well. At this point in the state's history I'm a little nervous about the library book I returned late back in third grade. Cali's annual "non-op" fee is nearly the cost of registering a bike for the road, in exchange for the privilege of not driving it on the road.

Just a headsup, if you've got unregistered stuff you're sitting on they're gunna nail ya. If for example you pulled a streetbike off the road years ago to build a dedicated track bike, watch out. You could be looking at thousands confiscated from your assets with Cali's exponential penalty fee structure.

Before the dinks come out of the woodwork. yes, I realize I shoulda payed it in a timely manner. This is just a headsup on Cali's procedural change.

I don't do political rants on a motorcycle site. Today would most definitely NOT be a real good day to start.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, too many registered on and off-road vehicles to keep track of and once in a while I forget to pay one as well, though I've never heard of this happening before! How long had the registration been over-due would be the only question I have. Had it been just a matter of months? I think I need to go and do a "tag-check" on my fleet today just to be sure the same fate does not befall me. Thanks for the heads-up!

Kevin

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in the same boat as you, too many registered on and off-road vehicles to keep track of and once in a while I forget to pay one as well, though I've never heard of this happening before! How long had the registration been over-due would be the only question I have. Had it been just a matter of months? I think I need to go and do a "tag-check" on my fleet today just to be sure the same fate does not befall me. Thanks for the heads-up!

Kevin

Tags exired Feb. 1.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh great. When I moved to WA in 1992 I stored my boat in a garage for a year. I figure if it is not visible from the street, it doesn't have to be registered. I started getting letters saying that I owed property tax to CA for 1993 which laughed at and ignored.

In 2003 it shows up as a ding on my credit report. Apparently the credit reporting agencies also look up public records. I am sure this is going to be a huge hassle to clear up if I ever move back. Like that will ever happen.

I wonder what kind of fees they would try to get me for after 20 years!

Mark

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
That's the reason for the 2nd Ammendment.

Better get that boat out of California, then write letters of explanation to the credit agencies to be provided with the credit report.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If we're doing it you can damned well bet that it's coming soon to a state near you.

Our idjits must be getting smarter. Usually they have to be taught these tactics by certain northeastern states before they trickle over here.

Reg'lar cut and paste artistes, that bunch.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Better get that boat out of California, then write letters of explanation to the credit agencies to be provided with the credit report.

Whoops, I guess I wasn't clear. I brought the boat with me and stored it up here in Washington. It wasn't even in California during the time they are saying I owe property tax on it. But it wasn't registered in WA so I don't know if I can prove it.

The ding on the credit report stays on there for 7 years. It was just removed this year.

I guess I just can never move back. Darn.

Mark

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Whoops, I guess I wasn't clear. I brought the boat with me and stored it up here in Washington. It wasn't even in California during the time they are saying I owe property tax on it. But it wasn't registered in WA so I don't know if I can prove it.

The ding on the credit report stays on there for 7 years. It was just removed this year.

I guess I just can never move back. Darn.

Mark

Hmmm? California will never secede. Maybe it can be expelled.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm? California will never secede. Maybe it can be expelled.

Be nice to us or we'll force you to live on oatmeal year 'round

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Be nice to us or we'll force you to live on oatmeal year 'round
You can keep your picked-green, gas-ripened, rot-gut, bio-engineered Walmart faux-vegies.

I grow my own vegies, year around, in a heated greenhouse and aeroponicaly under lights when the weather is not good for gardening. Real vegies, not that whacko tobacco that has turned Kalifornicators into a bunch of mindless lunatics.In fact, my grandson and I had a vine-ripened Better Boy tomato for supper tonight, along with a bowl of fresh English peas mixed with diced sugar-cured Bacon (the pig's name was Bacon), homemade whole wheat bread right out of the oven spread with homemade butter and homemade strawberry preserves, then S'mores for dessert, with homemade dark chocolate, marshmallows actually made from the sap and roots of marshmallow plants, home-baked graham crackers, and homemade sassafras rootbeer.

It's nice to have lots of friends who grow their own and like to barter.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thrive on a diet consisting solely of sandwiches containing real sand.

Diet and geography aside, some have speculated that we BOTH may be a bit fiber-deficient.

Pass the grubz and wermz. Me hongry.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I bought a TW on a lien sale shipped from Cali last year, promised with a title, but no title. Just a 'certification of lien sale on vehicle valued $4000 or less.' Anyhow the Tennessee DMV was useless so I gave the California DMV a call a couple days ago. A nice technician by the name of Jeff informed me that since it hasn't been registered, almost $600 in backfees would be owed.

However, he directed me to a REG256 form on the California DMV website that should help anybody in a position like mine or Mark in WA. It allows you to request a title in my case, or dispute the registration fees since the vehicle hadn't actually been on CA roads while in your possession. He said they would probably waive the fees since I'm out of state and got screwed on a deal, and send me a title for 18 bucks. So I should hear back in about six weeks on that. Worst case scenario is I pay the mountain of backfees to ride, but I think I'd just get a different bike instead if it came to that.

Jeff also informed me that they keep an unregistered vehicle's backfees for the past 4 years and the current year. Anything before that is out of their statute of limitations. I guess this could help some of you California folks.

Here is a link to the 256 form. Fill out whatever pertains to your case if you think it'll help, and make sure to fill out any additional information in "Section G: Statement of Facts." This opens a dialog between you and the California DMV, and you should hear back within 6 weeks.

Hope that clears some stuff up and helps whoever might be googling for answers to this sorta problem.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a TW on a lien sale shipped from Cali last year, promised with a title, but no title. Just a 'certification of lien sale on vehicle valued $4000 or less.' Anyhow the Tennessee DMV was useless so I gave the California DMV a call a couple days ago. A nice technician by the name of Jeff informed me that since it hasn't been registered, almost $600 in backfees would be owed.

However, he directed me to a REG256 form on the California DMV website that should help anybody in a position like mine or Mark in WA. It allows you to request a title in my case, or dispute the registration fees since the vehicle hadn't actually been on CA roads while in your possession. He said they would probably waive the fees since I'm out of state and got screwed on a deal, and send me a title for 18 bucks. So I should hear back in about six weeks on that. Worst case scenario is I pay the mountain of backfees to ride, but I think I'd just get a different bike instead if it came to that.

Jeff also informed me that they keep an unregistered vehicle's backfees for the past 4 years and the current year. Anything before that is out of their statute of limitations. I guess this could help some of you California folks.

Here is a link to the 256 form. Fill out whatever pertains to your case if you think it'll help, and make sure to fill out any additional information in "Section G: Statement of Facts." This opens a dialog between you and the California DMV, and you should hear back within 6 weeks.

Hope that clears some stuff up and helps whoever might be googling for answers to this sorta problem.

Just to clarify:

Even if they only CHARGE you 5 years in backfees, the bike/car/truck stays on the books.

Used to be that if you didn't wanna register something that was your choice, no harm, no foul. Catch ya next time. Simple, honest, reasonable. You can't charge someone for not driving something, since vehicle registration is tied directly to its use on ROADS. In the private sector we call that "stealing".

Then we got the 5 year rule, version 1. you were subject to backfees up to five years, but at five years + 1 day, your vehicle dropped off the books and ceased to exist. You could then register it with ZERO backfees, or just let it fossilize in your garage til hell froze over. Only "minor" theft. We'll only steal from you for a finite period of time.

Now we have the "indefinite 5 year rule". They'll only steal from you backwards for 5 years, but if it's ever been in their computer it will never get purged.

Everything changes in July, if they get their way, new property taxes added to vehicles (retroactively in some cases) no mas 5 year rule, etc.

I wish you well with "opening your dialog" with DMV (whatever the hell that means) and I hope it works out for ya, but I've never met anyone who had a dime waived unless it was a case of a relative-to-relative transfer, which only waives the sales tax. You're still hung for the back fees before you get title.

I'd be tickled for ya to get your title, don't get me wrong. But I'd also be pizzed as hell if they'd do for an out-of-stater what they won't do for a resident. Anything I have with backfees hasn't touched a Cali road, either.

Let us know what you learn, and whether you get your title.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The saga continues.

My Chevy dually caught fire when my barn burned down in '08. I filed no claim, as it was pretty much a beater and only used for hauling hay from town it was only insured for liability.

Guess what I got in the mail today.

Yep. Now I'm on their radar. $830 in backfees for a truck that melted to the ground.

The number they give you to call to "start the dialog" has been continuously busy since Apr. 29.

Thank you, Governor Moonbeam.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any of the Cali crowd been to DMV lately?

No lie, they have signs near each of the friendly civil servants warning you that you risk being arrested for making terrorist threats should you happen to voice your discontent in frank terms.

If you don't hear from me by tomorrow send a lawyer to Gitmo.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Everybody I know that owned a business in California that could be moved, has gotten the hell out of there. As the producers and tax payers move out, they are replaced by a flood of non-tax paying illegals and welfare mooches. It appears to be a death spiral for the most beautiful state in the Union.

Chip

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Everybody I know that owned a business in California that could be moved, has gotten the hell out of there. As the producers and tax payers move out, they are replaced by a flood of non-tax paying illegals and welfare mooches. It appears to be a death spiral for the most beautiful state in the Union.

Chip

+1 and those ex-kalifornicators moving east and trying to take everything over and make it just like kalifornia.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts