TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
some history... i have been pulling on wrenches my whole life, starting 60 years ago with my dad's lawnmower ( can't remember the out come on that one) i've done total engine rebuilds, transmissions, clutches, brakes, etc etc. fast forward to yesterday. i had a moment with the wife's car when the battery was in trouble. 6 years out of a stock battery was a pretty good life, i was impressed. so i started to phone around to get prices on new batteries and find them all about $160. that's fine, so i go and open the hood of her car to pull the battery out and what the????? where is it? i had to go on the www just to find out where they put it and then to find out how to get at it. then i started to read all the problems that can occure if you disconnect the power from all the computors in a newer car. so longer story made short, the car is going into the gm dealer this afternoon for a new battery, can't wait to see the bill from them. what a bunch of B.S. to go from fixing anything on a car to not being able to change a battery, ohhh take me back to the 1960s please

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
More and more use a canbus system, that is nothing short of witchcraft!
I thought, what the heck does cannabis have to do with wiring on a car. There is a difference is the spelling. Oops!:D

CAN bus

A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer.

can·na·bis
ˈkanəbəs/
noun

• a tall plant with a stiff upright stem, divided serrated leaves, and glandular hairs. It is used to produce hemp fiber and as a psychotropic drug.
    • a dried preparation of the flowering tops or other parts of this plant, or a resinous extract of it ( cannabis resin ), used (generally illegally) as a psychotropic drug, chiefly in cigarettes.

·
Super Moderator
17,988 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
Try the headlight bulbs on a E350 C207 Mercedes - one side needs the inside of the wing unbolting - two batteries (in different locations) - both well "hidden" ......

And you guys think removing the TW seat is a pain ......

·
Registered
548 Posts
CAN bus systems have been around for years, in the marine industry we call it fly-by-wire. Your whole boat engine is controlled by one tiny little wire that sends signals back and forth to your onboard computer at the speed of light....most of the time. That one little can bus wire will tell the computer when to start the engine, which gear to shift into, how much throttle you want and then feed all the information to your dash for gauges and alarms. The last boat I rigged had more money in cables and touch screens than I paid for my first sports car. Ever tried to enter anything into a touch screen at 49.5 Knots?? not easy to do. What does a guy do when your out at sea and you go to start you boat and nothing happens when you push the start button? I personally think we have gone too far with the whole can bus / private networks / public networks/ etc when it comes to running either a car or a boat... too much room for error and disaster. Remember when a piece of chewing gum and the foil from a pack of cigs would get any engine up and running to limp home on, not anymore. But the bright side is when you do start a modern engine is fires right up and no more playing with the choke, burns way less fuel and you can go for ever on a set of spark plugs. Our new Evinrude G2 outboards will go 500 hours or 5 years between servicing and now they come with a 10 year warranty. For me, I will stick with my old two stroke, smokey, angry outboard and ride my plain-Jane old TW200, both never fail to start and will run all day on a tank of fuel (almost) and both have never seen a shop since they left the showroom floor. So "Progress" as they call it doesn't mean that it is always in the forward motion, sometimes simple is just better!

·
Registered
382 Posts
CAN bus systems have been around for years, in the marine industry we call it fly-by-wire. Your whole boat engine is controlled by one tiny little wire that sends signals back and forth to your onboard computer at the speed of light....most of the time. That one little can bus wire will tell the computer when to start the engine, which gear to shift into, how much throttle you want and then feed all the information to your dash for gauges and alarms.
Like I said, witchcraft!

So "Progress" as they call it doesn't mean that it is always in the forward motion, sometimes simple is just better!
Absolutely ?

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
I'm a dinosaur and still like manual transmissions, wing vent windows, plus radios and side windows one can raise and lower with out the key. My old trick of wiring in an accessory power switch bypassing the key would likely incapacitate an entire CAN bus vehicle.
Memorable discoveries:
A rental Nissan in the islands I wanted to rock out on the beach with would interrupt the music every 20 seconds or so with loud announcements that "Door Is Ajar!" followed a few seconds later by " Key Is In Ignition!" This did nothing to impress the wahinis and island girls.
My wife used to like to set her Mercedes ML keys on the center console where they could be knocked off under the seat. Problem was with the electric seat one needed the keys in the ignition to move the seat to retrieve said keys. Catch 22, right? It also would self lock all the doors locking me out but leaving the keys inside.
My van wants to auto-lock all the doors to protect the small children I do not have. Engine must be switched off to open any doors. Daytime running lights are un-defeatable.
My Tacoma thinks I must live in a crime ridden car jacking area since it loves to lock it's doors taking multiple un-lock commands to release the passenger door.
Uuurg, There are days I miss my old straight six '62 Chevy with the panoramic rear window, forward slanting A-pillar and wobbly king pins. 1963_truck-672x372.jpg
and my first, a slant six '62 Dodge Lancer GT with the push button transmission supposedly only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays.:p 24.jpg

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey Fred, i miss your chey too and i've never seen it, nice truck. well, we are back from the chevy dealer and have a new battery. bill for an installed battery was............. $270. what a deal!! now i can see what i am really worth, and i'll feel more valuable everytime i fix something

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Does your GM get 18 mpg like my old Chevy?
Wow, $270? That is more than I spent as a starving student for all the parts the Chevy needed from a wrecker including a rear end.

Of course $270 was harder to earn back then. Still the Lancer was only $225 from my Granny's neighbor, all the cash I had as a sixteen year old. One of last of the American cars with prominent fins, although by '62 they had evolved from '50's vertical jet-like fins to horizontal fins more like a Forrestal aircraft carrier. Not a babe magnet.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
What really boils my p!ss is the fact that on a lot of cars nowadays you can't even change a headlamp bulb by the roadside! Ford Mondeo for example, you have to unbolt and remove the grille then unbolt and remove the headlamp unit to change a headlamp, sidelamp or indicator bulb. That is total BS!
I've never changed a headlight on the side of the road. Mostly because I've never carried extra headlights with me. Also any Mondeo I would ever come across would probably be old enough to be simpler to work on as they only sold them here in the 90s.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm a dinosaur and still like manual transmissions, wing vent windows, plus radios and side windows one can raise and lower with out the key. My old trick of wiring in an accessory power switch bypassing the key would likely incapacitate an entire CAN bus vehicle.
Memorable discoveries:
A rental Nissan in the islands I wanted to rock out on the beach with would interrupt the music every 20 seconds or so with loud announcements that "Door Is Ajar!" followed a few seconds later by " Key Is In Ignition!" This did nothing to impress the wahinis and island girls.
My wife used to like to set her Mercedes ML keys on the center console where they could be knocked off under the seat. Problem was with the electric seat one needed the keys in the ignition to move the seat to retrieve said keys. Catch 22, right? It also would self lock all the doors locking me out but leaving the keys inside.
My van wants to auto-lock all the doors to protect the small children I do not have. Engine must be switched off to open any doors. Daytime running lights are un-defeatable.
My Tacoma thinks I must live in a crime ridden car jacking area since it loves to lock it's doors taking multiple un-lock commands to release the passenger door.
Uuurg, There are days I miss my old straight six '62 Chevy with the panoramic rear window, forward slanting A-pillar and wobbly king pins. View attachment 64770
and my first, a slant six '62 Dodge Lancer GT with the push button transmission supposedly only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays.:p View attachment 64778
Very nice! 'Proper' motors

·
Registered
779 Posts
You can use a jump box to keep 12v supplied to the vehicle while you swap out or most of the auto parts stores will swap for free by the way. I loved my 77 Dodge 2WD D150, I think it was my favorite vehicle. It got 10MPG no matter if I had three snowmobiles in the bed and towing a trailer (yes, I did put three in, each hanging over the bed, staggered opposite directions) or unlaoded on the highway. Twice I changed broken motor mounts in my driveway in college after jumping the truck into farm fields, breaking the motor mounts and sending the fan through the radiator! But my 2016 F150 2.7l gets 18MPG average combined, has over 300hp, 4wd, electronic locking rear axle, a rear seat area I can sleep in, it's so big. Tt's also quiet and rides and drives very well. I just decided I am going to lease every two years and drive it like I stole it the whole time. Breakdown? Ford roadside assistance!

·
Registered
321 Posts
some history... i have been pulling on wrenches my whole life, starting 60 years ago with my dad's lawnmower ( can't remember the out come on that one) i've done total engine rebuilds, transmissions, clutches, brakes, etc etc. fast forward to yesterday. i had a moment with the wife's car when the battery was in trouble. 6 years out of a stock battery was a pretty good life, i was impressed. so i started to phone around to get prices on new batteries and find them all about $160. that's fine, so i go and open the hood of her car to pull the battery out and what the????? where is it? i had to go on the www just to find out where they put it and then to find out how to get at it. then i started to read all the problems that can occure if you disconnect the power from all the computors in a newer car. so longer story made short, the car is going into the gm dealer this afternoon for a new battery, can't wait to see the bill from them. what a bunch of B.S. to go from fixing anything on a car to not being able to change a battery, ohhh take me back to the 1960s please
My diesel SUV battery is under the driver seat.... It hasn't been replaced, YET, alnost 4 years old. Driver seat will need to be unbolted and tilted back, then the carpet will have to be strategically cut to fold carpet back, then remove battery holder, vent hose, and cables. Then lift out. Ugh.. Stock Varta battery is $300-ish from a dealer. Ill likely do this one myself, die hard or NAPA battery, and get one of those 9 volt to 12vdc memory tenders and attach to the under hood jump points to make certain the memorized crap doesn't disappear.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
just thought i would show a picture of the insanity under the hood. RIMG1193.JPG the first picture is of the battery box. the wire looms on top are full wiring harnesses which go to the computers mounted under the lid.. RIMG1196.JPG the second picture shows under the battery box lid. they mounted a plate for fuses over the battery with major fuses and wires mounted on to it. there are: 1- 500 amp fuse, 2-250 amp and 2- 60 amp fuses. what the hell would they need 500 amps of dc power for in a car?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Fred my grandmother had a 61 Dodge Lancer with the push button trans and slant 6. I sold it for my mom and aunt when she died it had 36,000 miles on it.Turquoise color and near mint. Ca car always garaged. I would have bought from them but it had been in a couple of fender benders because my grandma was addicted to pain meds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts