TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I purchased my first TW after about 20 years of no riding. It's a slightly used (1k miles) 2008 and I am enjoying the heck out of it!!!

Question: In reading through all these forums, I am doing just a few mods:

1. Foldable clutch/brake levers

2. Switch to hiflo + stock oil filter (alternate) and move to Mobil 1 synthetic oil

3. Adding lighter plug outlet for trickle charging and power for phone/gps

4. Slipping on new sprockets and o-ring chain

#4 is my big question. Without knowing more, I ordered a 14/44 + 428 - 116 link o-ring chain and sprocket set on Ebay that are designed for the TW. What kind of performance changes should I expect? Is it radically different than the original? Any tips on changing out the OEM parts or forum to point me to?

Your help is very much appreciated! I am planning to report back the results.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You will have 13.6% more speed and 13.6% LESS torque from the stock 14/50 setting.

So expect a higher top speed on level ground and going downhill. But expect to LOSE top speed when going up any kind of incline.

With my 14/47 I can hit 74mph easy on a slight slope, 65ish on the flat and 60 on a slight hill. I may bump up one tooth to a 14/48 or 49 next chain change.

Have some fun with this site.....

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich for the quick reply...

In your experience, is this a decent ratio for 50/50 trails and roads? I am not planning any really heavy duty off-roading, but want to make sure I won't be up the creek with no power when heading up dirt hills. First and second seem so short with the current chain I can't imagine it would be a problem, but look forward to hearing folks input. The main reason I am making this change is chain noise on the road, plus reports that o-rings are the way to go. Overall, I am happy with the bike so far (understatement) but would love for it to inch out a few more smoother MPH on the road above 60 for the occasional road trip to the beach or dirt.

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think that Yamaha got it right with the stock gearing for a 50/50 rider. These are not really highway bikes. You should probably consider the dual sprocket set-up. Also; if you're getting a lot of chain noise; you may need to adjust the chain tension, and, or lubricate it.

Ride on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that Yamaha got it right with the stock gearing for a 50/50 rider. These are not really highway bikes. You should probably consider the dual sprocket set-up.

Thanks for this too. That's my concern...that I won't be as pleased overall with the bike. Any other opinions on moving to that ratio for a 50/50 rider?

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I would consider 14/44 to be best suited to 85% street and 15% dirt - as long as the dirt is relatively level fire roads. As mentioned before, your bike will probably not be much faster on the street, but it will be running at a lower RPM at freeway speeds, so it will be a little quieter.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
To add what Brian and the others have mentioned, I recently changed to an o-ring chain and that made a noticeable difference as far as ride noise goes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the kit that I bought. I just tried to change it to the stock ratio, but got a rather rude response from the retailer, which didn't even offer an exchange. So I am stuck with the 14/44, which sounds like it may be iffy for my 50/50 needs.

Given all the great advice above, I will move to an o-ring chain, but now am a bit reluctant to use the ratio I ordered. What is a good source to get an aftermarket o-ring chain in the stock ratio?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Goofy - do you have any particular experience with this brand that I ordered?

I've never purchased your kit. But considering that they are designed to be wear parts and you've already paid for them, I wouldn't stress it too much... "run whatcha brung." Remember the TW isn't a horsepower monster and an o-ring chain will be an upgrade over the stock non-oring.

There was this thread a little while back that speaks to the quality of ebay chains. The chains are both gold but I am unsure if the gold chain in your kit is the KMC as described in the thread. Your chain is probably just as good as any other basic o-ring chain. The sprockets are steel which means they should last longer than aluminum versions.

Just remember to keep the chain cleaned and lubed (I use WD-40 and brushes from Harbor Freight to clean the chain and I lube it with DuPont's Multipurpose Teflon lube (readily available at Lowe's) which has worked great on my bikes in the desert)

As far as gearing goes:

I'll be using my TW more for backcountry cruising and dualsport riding so I think I'll personally go 14/47 cause I believe first gear will still be low enough for my needs but I hope the bike will be less buzzy at 60-65 mph.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK thanks. I am going to go ahead and upgrade to the O-ring chain, and as Goofy Footer says, I am going to "run whatcha brung" and experiment with the new sprocket ratio. Stay tuned for a report.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've ran 44T, it's not too bad; 55 cruise is pretty relaxed but even on the road the lack of power in 5th gear gets annoying. At 45 you'll be climbing maybe 1 mph per 2 seconds, and you'll need a downshift for any kind of incline if you're below 50 mph. I had a flat road top speed of about 70 with 44T, but on cold days it has trouble hitting 60-65. On warm days (75+ degrees) I could hit 70 with ease. Temperature affects little bikes quite a bit....my nighthawk 250 is the same way. Easily hit 70-75 when it's warm, but if it's 50-60 degrees I'll be wound out at 60.

You can definitely go offroad with 44, but nothing extreme. You'll easily be able to cruise dirt and gravel roads - and climb any regular hills. What you can't do is climb extremely steep hills - and really slow trails that require speeds of 5-10 mph or below (You'd be slipping in and out of gear too much and burn it up) and deep mud/sand or any high-traction situations that require smooth low end power to traverse. I was using 44T in the snow a few years back and just taking off required so much extra power I just spun the tire - going to even 47T made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I've never purchased your kit. But considering that they are designed to be wear parts and you've already paid for them, I wouldn't stress it too much... "run whatcha brung." Remember the TW isn't a horsepower monster and an o-ring chain will be an upgrade over the stock non-oring.

There was this thread a little while back that speaks to the quality of ebay chains. The chains are both gold but I am unsure if the gold chain in your kit is the KMC as described in the thread. Your chain is probably just as good as any other basic o-ring chain. The sprockets are steel which means they should last longer than aluminum versions.

Just remember to keep the chain cleaned and lubed (I use WD-40 and brushes from Harbor Freight to clean the chain and I lube it with DuPont's Multipurpose Teflon lube (readily available at Lowe's) which has worked great on my bikes in the desert)

As far as gearing goes:

I'll be using my TW more for backcountry cruising and dualsport riding so I think I'll personally go 14/47 cause I believe first gear will still be low enough for my needs but I hope the bike will be less buzzy at 60-65 mph.
X2 on the type of chain lube. OMM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've ran 44T, it's not too bad; 55 cruise is pretty relaxed but even on the road the lack of power in 5th gear gets annoying. At 45 you'll be climbing maybe 1 mph per 2 seconds, and you'll need a downshift for any kind of incline if you're below 50 mph. I had a flat road top speed of about 70 with 44T, but on cold days it has trouble hitting 60-65. On warm days (75+ degrees) I could hit 70 with ease. Temperature affects little bikes quite a bit....my nighthawk 250 is the same way. Easily hit 70-75 when it's warm, but if it's 50-60 degrees I'll be wound out at 60.

You can definitely go offroad with 44, but nothing extreme. You'll easily be able to cruise dirt and gravel roads - and climb any regular hills. What you can't do is climb extremely steep hills - and really slow trails that require speeds of 5-10 mph or below (You'd be slipping in and out of gear too much and burn it up) and deep mud/sand or any high-traction situations that require smooth low end power to traverse. I was using 44T in the snow a few years back and just taking off required so much extra power I just spun the tire - going to even 47T made a huge difference.

Did you land on a 47T as your final configuration?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey mpilla,

How are you liking the chain/sprocket set? I'm considering buying the 14/47 o-ring set, just wondering if you've had any problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts