TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Electrical Problems With My TW

5K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Cornelis 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had it with the Yamaha stock CDI's. Bought a brand new one from my local Yamaha dealer 3 years ago and now after 30 000 miles it's already busted.

Anything over 4000 rpm and the bike stutters, I replaced the coil and spark plug cap and everything still the same so I'm sure it is the CDI

I'm trying to order a custom built one from Tom Bauer( Click Here) but it's gonna take about 2 weeks to arrive in South Africa with the shipping problems we have because of the lockdown.

So in the meantime I decided to experiment with something different, I bought a Chinese made CDI that is suppose to work with the TW for only R200(US $10)!

I'm gonna have to be careful with the wiring but luckily there is a good YouTube video that shows precisely how to connect everything up. Click on the title below to have a look

This thing is about half the size of the TW CDI and less than half the weight!

Wednesday is my day off and then I want to try to connect it onto my bike.

This CDI is easy to get on ebay and Aliexpress.com

Attachments

See less See more
1 3
#6 · (Edited)
I've got some good news, the bike is up and running and the engine is ticking over as smooth as silk, it's already 5:30 pm and getting dark over here so I won't be able to go for a test ride until tomorrow morning but so far I'm very impressed with the US $10 cdi

I don't know how the bike is going to perform in the higher revs, I'm going to have to wait and see how it goes

The wiring is tricky but thanks to the YouTube video I was able to do it right the first time around

#11 ·
I just returned from my test ride and the bike starts and idles perfectly but when I open up the throttle there is not enough power, the revs pick up but there is something not right.

I'm going to go over all the wires and connections to see if everything was done right and then I'm going to try again.

#13 ·
It's a 1990 model

I've been chasing the problem today but no solution so far, my bike is stuttering with both cdi's, the stator and the coil are giving the right ohm readings, my cdi from America will arrive around end of next week so we'll see what happens next🙃

#19 ·
There are a number of TW owners that did this conversion and was successful, just look at the YouTube video at the start of the thread so I'm wondering.... anyway I have to call it a day, its getting dark over here

#25 ·
Yes, Yamaha is different, that's for sure, I ordered a new CDI from you on ebay a week ago my brother, the only problem is that ebay is not shipping to South Africa at the moment because of the lockdown so now I'm using a parcel forwarding service in the US to forward the CDI to me via FedEx so hopefully it will arrive in about a week's time over here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.