TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just tried installing my new Clarke tank. It leaks gas pretty bad from the petcock. I originally tried the o-ring already on the stock petcock, and then I tried the supplied thick gasket. Both of them are far from giving me a good seal. I tightened the bolts as much as I felt comfortable.

Options I can think of :
-RTV/gasket maker
-filing plastic to make it flush
-trying to return it without doing above fixes

It says explicitly that I cannot return it if I put gas in it... But it's tough to find gas leaks without putting gas in it. I don't know how reasonable Clarke is about customer service. I could also try returning it through eBay, which is pretty good about protecting buyers.

How do you recommend I proceed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like you've done all you can. With sealants, it would only make a bigger mess. I'd start a return thru ebay. They seem to take customer service fairly serious with guarantee & warranty stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. Called them and was asked to file it flat so I filed ALOT. Kept testing it with water just in case... In the end they sent me a replacement which required only a little filing for a proper seal to the petcock.

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
I agree with the esteemed Zapped-Panda....call Clarke and they should work with you to solve leak or replace the tank.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
My big Clarke tank leaked the same. I filled the area with ptex and ski base repair tools, filed it flat and then used a fuel/gas resistant permatex sealer. Regular rtv is not gas resistant and will soften and leak. The cost of return from Canada was unreasonable... It would have been cheaper to reorder and throw the leaker away...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone. I decided to give it one last try Sunday night before calling Clarke monday morning. This time my boyfriend tightened the bolts, again using the supplied thick gasket. Miraculously, there was no leak. I don't know if he tightened it more/less than me, or if it just sat differently somehow when assembled this time, but I'm a happy camper. I will contact clarke and suggest that they supply torque specs though. I use torque specs for everything, since my idea of tight is very different than that of others.

Some more questions:

- The tank wiggles left and right. It is not in contact with the circular black pads. I attached a picture showing the clearance if I push the tank to one side. Are there any suggested ways of securing the tank laterally, or ideas of something I did wrong during installation?

- I've read about a billet cap that some of you purchase. Why do you recommend this over the plastic clarke cap? My guess would be it holds up better in exposure to the elements, but I want to hear your comments.

- How do you recommend I clean out and store my stock gas tank?

- Should I plug the charcoal canister inlet that originally connected to fuel tank vent line, or leave it open?

My right side cover is misaligned, but I've read enough about this problem enough that I will just let the tank settle over time and hopefully the fit improves.

Thanks all!

IMG_5851.JPG

·
Registered
928 Posts
Can't help answer your questions, but was curious which tank model you installed? I just finished putting a XT350 on mine and am curious about your install. Any photos?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops, forgot to mention, it is the TW200 2.7 gallon Clarke tank.

I agree with the comment about eBay purchases TWilight. I'm going to change how I do large purchases in the future, after this and my Scott oiler situation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on that RIGHT side plastic cover, there are threads on here that explain what to do, and how to fit that cover to the new tank.....
I did see several threads about the right side cover problem. Many of the "fixes" involve modifications. I don't want to make any permanent changes (e.g. drilling holes in my side cover) so soon after getting a brand new $230 clarke tank, especially when many people say theirs settled into shape with some weight from a full tank and a little bit of temperature cycling. I will give it time.

I am more worried about the fact the tank is not at all secure laterally. There is nothing to keep the forward end (near handle bars) from moving from side to side. Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
19,095 Posts
Is it bolted in the front?

I did see several threads about the right side cover problem. Many of the "fixes" involve modifications. I don't want to make any permanent changes (e.g. drilling holes in my side cover) so soon after getting a brand new $230 clarke tank, especially when many people say theirs settled into shape with some weight from a full tank and a little bit of temperature cycling. I will give it time.

I am more worried about the fact the tank is not at all secure laterally. There is nothing to keep the forward end (near handle bars) from moving from side to side. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
340 Posts
yup looks like you are missing the little tubes that fit into the rubber grommets on each side of the tank that the single long bolt passes thru....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can somebody take a picture of these spacers? I did not receive any. I will try to have justgastanks (who I purchased from on ebay) or clarke send them. Or, if they're very straight forward, I will just make/source my own. Strange that the instructions did not mention them once, but it'll definitely fix my problem.

I tried tightening the front bolt more to reduce movement, but the washers are cutting into the grommets pretty hard. I'd give it a couple hundred miles at most before the washers slice the grommets (pic attached). Even then, it still has more freeplay than the stock tank. I'll probably switch out for larger washers until I get spacers in place.

I wrapped bailing wire around the right side cover pin and looped it into the grommet. It's not perfect, but it'll tide me over until the tank shape changes (hopefully for the better), or until I come up with a permanent solution.

I let gas sit in the tank overnight, still no leaks, so I think that issue is gone for good.

Tested the wolfman tank panniers for fit - I think I'm going to love them!

IMG_5858.JPG

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't tighten the bolt any more until you get the proper spacers! They NEED to be there.
Yea, this is probably a better idea than leaving it tight with bigger washers... I loosened it up and won't touch it again until I get spacers in place. I'm off for a business trip soon, so I can handle some TW downtime while I wait for spacers to arrive.

Clarke really needs to add pictures or a parts diagram to ensure mistakes like this don't happen, or are caught early.

I knew something wasn't right. Thanks for all your great help everyone!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haven't heard back from justgastanks on whether I can get the spacers sent. I'll give it another day or so before reaching out again.

I did hear back from clarke. I had mentioned that:

- they should add pictures or a parts diagram to the instructions
- I was having difficulty preventing left/right movement at the front of the tank (which I now know why thanks to you all)
- the right side cover is misaligned (I mentioned this appears to be common on this tank).

I mostly sent this message to them because, as someone who works in manufacturing, I would want this kind of feedback if I was them.

Response as follows:

"An instruction sheet is sent with that model and very specific on how to mount that tank to get proper fitment; attached is a copy. That model does use all stock mounts and petcock and with that said this is a very popular tank and never have a fitment issue. Please send photos over that way a technician can review to make sure we're understanding the issue."

It wasn't a rude reply per se, but to be honest, I wasn't happy that they:

- defended the written instructions as being sufficient (c'mon, a picture is worth a thousand words)
- said the tank is very popular and never has a fitment issue.

Given how many threads I've seen on here with the right side cover problem, and how many people contacted clarke and said Clarke claimed theirs was the first they heard, I am disappointed in them for not owning up to this. I'm wasn't asking for a fix or a new tank. It was primarily feedback to help them make a better product in the future.

·
Super Moderator
19,095 Posts
They know about the fitment problem. Many members have contacted them before.

Reactions: TWilight and cpit

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Can somebody take a picture of these spacers? I did not receive any. I will try to have justgastanks (who I purchased from on ebay) or clarke send them. Or, if they're very straight forward, I will just make/source my own. Strange that the instructions did not mention them once, but it'll definitely fix my problem.

I tried tightening the front bolt more to reduce movement, but the washers are cutting into the grommets pretty hard. I'd give it a couple hundred miles at most before the washers slice the grommets (pic attached). Even then, it still has more freeplay than the stock tank. I'll probably switch out for larger washers until I get spacers in place.

I wrapped bailing wire around the right side cover pin and looped it into the grommet. It's not perfect, but it'll tide me over until the tank shape changes (hopefully for the better), or until I come up with a permanent solution.

I let gas sit in the tank overnight, still no leaks, so I think that issue is gone for good.

Tested the wolfman tank panniers for fit - I think I'm going to love them!

View attachment 28597

I got two tanks last summer and had the same problem where they did not ship me spacers for either tank. Both were ordered a the same time. I ordered them from justgastanks.com but they were drop shipped from Clarke directly. Took me a while to get it sorted with Clarke.

Just an FYI for those that need to call Clarke. I personally think their customer service blows. I bought both of my tanks form justgastanks.com which was no help they just referred me to Clarke. First i got the did you buy direct form us? attitude. I had to fax them the invoice i received in the box for proof of purchase which i have no issue with but loose the attitude please.... Then after a bunch of calls and 6 weeks they sent me out one set of spacers and i had to call and fight with them to get the second which arrived weeks later as well. The person on the other end of the phone could not grasp the concept that i bought two tanks and both were missing parts.

As far as the petcock sealing. I had no issues with that. I bought two brand new petcocks for these tanks and used the gasket included with the tank.

FWIW I didn't get any sort of instruction sheet either and had no idea the spacers even existed until Rhodetrip and i were working on Mr's trip's bike last summer. I had just installed mine without them and has no idea they even existed.

I wish there was another option for a factory fit larger tank so we could all stop having to deal with the poor CS and poor quality control from clarke.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts