TW200 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I h
The blemish has, and will probably always be there in the TW200 tank. It is what it is at this point and everyone should already know about it, no matter how much it sucks. However, I have never seen one with the screwed up, crooked, misaligned bolt holes before. That is a whole new level of fail. That one should go back immediately.
I have no dog in this fight, that being said I have heard and seen stories of plastic shavings , crazy holes and difficult fitment. I can not understand why folks will accept flawed products. Its not as if this is new production.
Also not my money

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sanobs...your question is respectful as my answering is intended to be. We have two choices for the TW 200 if we do not want to do the XT puck mod. The choice is factory tank which is ok for short hops, no crashing, limited access to gas. The Clarke tank allows me to really get my money's worth out of this bike.

My story is easy install, I botched the job and paid shipping for another tank. It was 100% my fault. Customer service had me fixed up in less than 7 business days. The second install was just as smooth with a snap and strap used to clean up my right side panel...if that does not work, go caveman and use a zip tie.
Fast forward to this post, the crooked bolt is off the scale is shameful to box and ship. This falls under the heading of what the hell are you thinking? I am at a loss as to who sees this product, takes a guys money, and boxes it up. I would like to think the company will take these back and refund shipping. They should also publish for themselves and through any third party distributor that right plastic modification is necessary and there are blemishes that only have a cosmetic effect and all would be right with the world. We purchase at our own peril. Not one person on this site would buy one of these with the crooked bolt.
The answer is that we can overlook ugly. We can overlook a reason to modify or fabricate to accommodate a less than perfect aftermarket part that yields a benefit worth the ugly and fabrication. If we can't...we won't buy it. The crooked bolt should shut down the supply of this part immediately. The next question is where else do you go for a glimmer of hope for this part?

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, I ordered the XT tank because (1) I wanted more capacity, and (2) I've read enough bad reviews on the TW tank. They sent me the tank I ordered in the color I asked for and the condition was fine. I can find no mold flaws or handling damage. The petcock surface even looks flat.
I won't have a chance to install for a couple more weeks but if it all goes well I'll order another one for my white bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one too and it is a manufacturing flaw they have had for some time. The tank would not fit my 2018 as the bolt did not line up. I talked to Clarke as I got no where with the place I purchased it from. Clarke refunded my money but it took forever to get the refund from the place I purchased it from. I use rotopax to carry gas with me. Why can’t any manufacturer make a tank for this bike? Good luck on getting a refund!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sanobs...your question is respectful as my answering is intended to be. We have two choices for the TW 200 if we do not want to do the XT puck mod. The choice is factory tank which is ok for short hops, no crashing, limited access to gas. The Clarke tank allows me to really get my money's worth out of this bike.

My story is easy install, I botched the job and paid shipping for another tank. It was 100% my fault. Customer service had me fixed up in less than 7 business days. The second install was just as smooth with a snap and strap used to clean up my right side panel...if that does not work, go caveman and use a zip tie.
Fast forward to this post, the crooked bolt is off the scale is shameful to box and ship. This falls under the heading of what the hell are you thinking? I am at a loss as to who sees this product, takes a guys money, and boxes it up. I would like to think the company will take these back and refund shipping. They should also publish for themselves and through any third party distributor that right plastic modification is necessary and there are blemishes that only have a cosmetic effect and all would be right with the world. We purchase at our own peril. Not one person on this site would buy one of these with the crooked bolt.
The answer is that we can overlook ugly. We can overlook a reason to modify or fabricate to accommodate a less than perfect aftermarket part that yields a benefit worth the ugly and fabrication. If we can't...we won't buy it. The crooked bolt should shut down the supply of this part immediately. The next question is where else do you go for a glimmer of hope for this part?
Well said, I would like all the benefits of this tank as well. I am retired and often broke, but really happy, so i am unwilling to part with capital without value. I guess I am flabbergasted why the manufacturer is unable to resolve these well known issues. As I stated earlier, it is not my money. Folks can spend what they like on what they like. My bike is also my daily driver so the fueling is a pain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
+1 on the blemished Clarke tank. I don't believe mine has the askew front mount bolt though.
It's a bummer; I bought a Clarke tank for a YZ125 I sold about a year ago and it was as nice as any Acerbis tank I've bought...in fact I bought the Clarke because I refused to buy another IMS tank after the POS I was sent for my 05 KTM SMR.
The tank I bought for my Tdub had a leak at one of the useless side panel mounts. Clarke bounced me back to my retailer who, luckily, was Procycle. The folks at Procycle got me squared away quickly even if the new tank showed up with the typical front lower left blemish. I suspect that Tdub consumers are simply going to have to put up with it.
If one cannot tolerate the blemish, don't put gas in it because it can't be returned.
I had to cut mine open and send photos to get a replacement. Even if I was chagrined to get another blemished tank, it is in a somewhat inconspicuous place. Until we start showing our Tdubs at concourse-level shows, I'm not gonna sweat it...but I'm certainly not giving Clarke a "pass" on it even if I am using it...or maybe I am because of that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In the Clarke installation instructions “Step One” says to flush the tank with gas.

“Step 1. After unpackaging your Clarke tank and reading the instructions be sure to thoroughly blow out your tank with compressed air followed by a rinse with fuel. Be sure to wear eye protection and rubber gloves to protect yourself from the plastic chips that may be still in the tank and from the fuel used to rinse out the fine particles remaining.”

If you follow the instructions issued by Clarke and put fuel in it, then try to mount it on your bike and it doesn’t fit or it leaks, is the reason you cannot return it a shipping restriction imposed by the shipping companies? Or is this a Clarke rule?

Clarke cannot justify refusing the return on the basis of it having had fuel in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ummm, I dunno. I was just told mine had to be destroyed and replaced since it already had gas in it. Didn't really care, just wanted something that held gas. I only included that caveat for those who simply wanted to return it based on my experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
Returning, or shipping, any kind of tank that has had gas in it is prohibited. Same as welding a tank that had has gas in it, the risk of explosion is greater, more than a tank of liquid gas in fact – it’s the air/gas thing that creates the risk. In this respect, Clarke are quite correct in saying “no returns”

That aside, for many years we have had multiple users who had to sit the tank in the sunlight to get it to “melt” onto the frame, with the pet cock still not fitting, no side panel fitting, and the tank “leeching fuel” preventing attaching decals – plus the fact that the tank has a “dead area” for fuel below the delivery point – together with the same “blemish” in the same area, an obvious manufacturing fault

Wake up people

Clarke tanks are good when they’re good – but for the TW, they’re absolute crap

Why we’re still having this discussion is beyond me – get a Rotopax and call it done ….

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got this response from Clarke: "The tool has been checked and no indication that anything has changed and because the casting is hard tooled it's impossible for us to modify or make changes. Have you tried installing the tank to the bike? The offset bolt shouldn't affect how it's mounted."

- I asked about the return policy if I go ahead and try installing it.

"You are more than welcome to do a dry fit to see if there's a fitment issue. Regards to our return policy, we do offer a 30 day money back guarantee and after the 30 days we usually will accept the tank as long as the tank has not been filled with gas but will charge a restocking fee."

- So, if they're saying the bolt isn't going to affect the mounting, then I'll go ahead and install it and report back afterwards. I've never installed an after market tank, so I'm not sure if the bolt will have any effect on the tank placement.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don’t forget to read their installation instructions! They say: “

Step 1. After unpackaging your Clarke tank and reading the instructions be sure to thoroughly blow out your tank with compressed air followed by a rinse with fuel. Be sure to wear eye protection and rubber gloves to protect yourself from the plastic chips that may be still in the tank and from the fuel used to rinse out the fine particles remaining.

Whoops! If you follow their directions you cannot return the tank if it’s had gas in it!

The return policy states:
“ALL returns for a refund must be received in original and resell-able condition, otherwise we reserve the right to refuse it. All returns are subject to a restock fee up to 20%.”
They want to be able to sell your returned tank to the next dumbass.

I emailed them myself and asked if I could get a tank with a reasonably sized blemish, straight bolt, and a properly located attachment point for the side panel. And if I received a tank that did not fit properly would they refund my money and include all shipping costs and no restocking fee.
They never responded. I was shocked! Haha!
I also find it funny that there isn’t a single review for a TW200 tank on their website.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The XT tanks are reasonably well made. They may not look as nice as the TW replacement model, and they require the hockey puck mod to mount properly, but they work great. Form or function. Choose ONE.

Attachments

41 - 53 of 53 Posts