TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just introducing myself

Just got my first TW200, 2006, and full of questions.

Primarily a BMW Airhead guy, and have spent much time and money on Ural Sidecar rigs over the years. So no real chain drive experience....except for a V-Strom DL1000 which I had chain issues with....

Looking forward to learning about this Dualsport Motorcycle.

DSC07361-1.JPG

DSC07365-1.JPG

DSC07353-1.JPG

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welcome redlegs. X chain. Issues over. Now if you'll excuse me, me n Josey are trackin some redlegs out of Kansa....... wait a minute...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Agree on x-ring chains. Just keep em properly adjusted and clean when needed. Your airhead and Ural experience will probably make working on your TW seem like a piece of cake. Mounting tires can be a struggle, but they’re pretty easy.

Welcome to the forum. Cheers

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Looking forward to learning about this Dualsport Motorcycle.
A good place to start is the technical write-up stickies under technical help. Lots of good information there, although you probably don't need to do all of that stuff, just what seems good to you. Replacing the rubber on a 12 year old bike is a good idea even if there is lots of tread left....rubber gets brittle. At a minimum, ditch the OEM front for a Shinko 241.

If yours has the original 126 main jet, you are good to go from sea level to 8,000 feet. Above that, it will still run, but not very well. I would go to a 122 for 6,000 to 12,000. Tweaking the pilot jet needle to approximately 2 turns out should work for Centennial and above.

Check the oil level in the forks if they bottom out too much, it should be around 130 mm from the top with spacers and springs removed and fully compressed. Usually the factory level is around 150 mm, great for 90 lb. girls! :mad:

TW's are real easy to work on; you will have lots of fun in the Colorado mountains!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the welcomes....

PO put the Pirelli MT43 on the front so looking forward to seeing how it does on sand and rough rocky terrain....tried it on dirt and light gravel, did fine. Found out it was a good choice while reading through the technical write ups section. Good stuff.

Oh, and I can confirm the Pirelli MT43, being a trials tire, sucks on mud.....yikes.

I still haven't checked to see what the main jet is, but most likely stock. I'll wait and see how she does on the top of Pikes Peak before making such decisions.

And yes, re my wrenching experience with Urals....I just completed most of the 7000 mile maintenance and it was easy peasy.

Will keep X-ring chains in mind....

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I still haven't checked to see what the main jet is, but most likely stock. I'll wait and see how she does on the top of Pikes Peak before making such decisions....
On top of Pikes Peak with a stock main jet? You may barely get to the top in first! I could get up to 12,000 with stock, but only on gentle slopes in first. I barely got up to the top of Taylor Pass. A 118 worked much better at 13,000 in the San Juans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts