TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

New drz/ old xrl...

5K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Heli-Mech 
#1 ·
So I've been heavily favoring a NEW DRZ as my next bike, but I may have reached an epiphany on that: I don't like carburetors, and I'm not sure, realistically, that I can justify investing $8,500 in a NEW machine that still uses one... So I've been thinking that if no manufacturer debuts something that meets all my requirements (EFI, 350+, reliable/low stress/low maintenance motor, relatively light weight, relatively inexpensive, etc.) within the next year or so, I might go for an older Honda XR650L for around $2,500. The older XRL's are getting more and more affordable. So are the older DR 650's, but they have problems that I wouldn't want to deal with (I'd only buy a later-model DR650). Basically, an XRL that I would deem suitable for my needs should be obtainable for a good thousand dollars less than a suitable DR650 or DRZ.

Anyway, these are merely the ramblings of a delusional fool. Pay me no heed :)

#2 ·
You can practically feel the monstrous bottom end torque of this awesome motor, in this video! Sweet! Man I love these old open class thumpers. Even the powerhouse enduro bikes of today can't compete with them in the sheer ridiculousness of the sub 3k RPM torque! If you've got a good sound system, crank it up a bit and have a listen :)

#5 ·

Reactions: littletommy
#6 ·
What do you want to be able to do with the bike?
If you are hoping to do some single track go with the DRZ as the XRL is a pig.
If you are looking at FSRs and Hwy then the XLR.

Ever thought of the WR250r?

#7 · (Edited)
As far as I know, there have been virtually no changes to the model through its whole production run. The only common problem I know of with the XR650L is that the CDI can sometimes fail and cause intermittent cutting out. To me that isn't a big deal because a) it isn't that common, b) it's very easy to fix, and c) just carry a spare CDI (one verified-good) - problem solved.

#8 · (Edited)
I know the XRL is a bit of a pig, but it will be cheaper to buy in the first place compared to a DRZ, and also will not require radiator guards or cooling system maintenance, and the valve adjustments are easier (I prefer the screw-type adjustments). I guess I figure if I'm going to buy something used, I may as well get something OLD and cheap. I don't want to spend 60% of the cost of a new bike and still get into the risks involved in buying used. If I'm going to take the "used risk", I'd rather gamble with as little money as possible.

I do quite like the WR250R, but I need a bit more power. I do some SERIOUS hill climbing, and a 250 just doesn't cut it sometimes - even a relatively powerful one like the WRR. I need bottom end grunt that those bikes don't have. My other primary considerations in the used market are the XT350's or the 91-93 (?) DR350's. A used DRZ could be quite nice (I do realize that technically, they would make superior enduro bikes, compared to these other options). But they cost a bit more. A big advantage of buying used is to save money, so I'd want to save as much as I can if I go that route. $2,500 would be pretty close to tops for a used bike, for me anyway. I would never even be considering another used bike at all, if someone would make the damn bike I want already!

I will be doing plenty of gnarly off road stuff with whatever bike I get, but I'm confident that I can handle any dual sport off road (although I don't deny some will be better/easier than others).

I'm pretty darn happy with my little bikes for the most part, but sometimes it does get frustrating dealing with the obscene lack of power, haha :)

I've been riding my brother's 87 XR600 quite a bit lately - and oh my god that torque is addicting! You can cruise up to the base of a big ass hill at 20 mph and like 2,500 RPM in second gear and it pulls just as well as if it were at 7k RPM. It doesn't seem to matter what speed or RPM the engine is at - if you feed it fuel, it will spin up and go regardless!

#11 ·
Technically that's a pretty darn good idea lol. I just don't know if I can manage with only one bike. I kind of REALLY want to always have at least two. I certainly have ​considered doing just what you say, though. The idea is still on the table :)

Reactions: DonBenito
#15 ·
One more good one. Then I'll stop spamming :)

Reactions: akalogan
#16 ·
That did not look fun from his perspective. Too heavy of a bike.
I had XT350 and it felt like it was plowing through stuff like that, with the IT175 it felt like I was floating over the stuff.

If and when the Honda / Montesa 4 trail comes, I would take a look at it.

If you gear the WR250r correctly it is very versatile, but you do need to change the gearing. That 250 is also faster than the XT350 and XR400, I had both and the WR is a better bike.

That trail looked perfect for the mighty TW.

#18 · (Edited)
It sure looked fun to me - to each his own I guess :) I don't personally think that the 650L is all that heavy. I mean, it is close to 100 pounds lighter than a KLR 650. THAT bike is too heavy for me (although I still think it can be ridden in some gnarly off road stuff, if one really wants to). I guess we all draw the line a little differently lol.

I do not believe the WR250R is actually faster than the XT350 or XR400, unless you're talking about in general/overall, as the WRR may arguably be faster in terms of handling/cornering/blasting through rough terrain. In a straight line drag race, however... both the XT and XR have both more horsepower and more torque, and both make their hp and tq lower in the rev range. The XT350 might be a little closer, but, having ridden both the XR and WR, I am confident that the XR400R would destroy a WR250R in a drag race. I would literally put money on this.

Don't get me wrong though, the WR250R is one of the very best new dual sports available right now, and one of my favorites for sure. I know that gearing it down will help a lot (I would go with 14/51). I know that it does make an awesome trail bike that is very capable and versatile. The fuel injection is flawless and it is quite unlikely to have any major problems. The 4Ride would be awesome, but I don't think that motor is the most streetable (I haven't actually seen yet, but I'm betting that the maintenance intervals aren't going to be commuter friendly). Plus I doubt that it will ever be sold in the U.S.

Anyway, having said all of this, the speed is not really what I'm after. Sure it's fun to grab a handfull of throttle on a big bore dirt bike and wheelie across an open expanse at 45 mph, but what I'm looking for is big torque for BIG hill climbs. As good as the WR is, I'm willing to bet that (although this may be rare) at least some of the hills I've ridden would be too much for that motor, even with a gearing change. Admittedly, the XT350 might still run into a situation at some point where it doesn't have enough juice either. I believe the XR400 or the 600's or 650's will all always have enough power and torque, with the right gearing and gear selection.

Huge, steep, loose hill climbs are the only reason I ever feel that I need more power than even my DR200 offers.

Reactions: akalogan and Xracer
#17 ·
As someone who has a fair amount of time on the bigger 500-650 XR & Xl's I can tell you they are a big heavy beast as you will find out the first sand wash.....BUT.......The frigging motor pretty much makes up for it! I've never rode a bike that was so easy to lift the front end with just the throttle. No pre-loading the forks,no tugging. Just crack the throttle to clear a log,rut,rock or a fallen rider. I sure wish my KLR had such an engine.

#19 ·
I assume you are looking at a drzsm at that price for you can usually find left over drzs models for around 5900. I loved mine. The seat height was the only issue but quickly corrected with new links. If it wasnt for a baby on the way at the time I would still have it. Of course I would still ride the TW more.

#20 ·
I was talking about the 400S: out the door price, including the cost of necessary modifications.

#23 · (Edited)
I guess I should reiterate at this point, that it's not really about speed, for me. It's about being able to have the torque to pull strongly through the whole rev range, up a monster hill climb, in a second gear that's preferably tall enough to do at least 40 or 45 mph (or third gear, depending on final drive setup). Also there are times when you need to be able to slow down and speed up again without shifting gears (having the torque to pull low RPM, but enough acceleration to quickly get back up to a speed high enough to have sufficient momentum). Things like that are why I want a bigger motor.

#24 · (Edited)
Last year I built/restored and modified a 2001 XR650L. It was a great bike, very easy to work on with a ton of "forum" support over on ADV rider and Thumper talk.

In stock form the bike worked great, but with a few mods and fresh top end and gearing change it was a torque monster. Also since it is aircooled machine it has a little more in common with the TW and is "stone axe reliable" once its flaws are addressed.

- FCR carb upgrade ...... best mod for this bike. The stock CV carb works OK and with a needle shim and slide drill out it is improved from stock. But the FCR!!!! Night and day mod. This completely changed the power feel and delivery. I used a 06 CRF450R carb with a combination of jetting detailed on Thumper Talk. The jetting was dialed in by a thumper talk member using a wide band O2 set up and was crisp and solid across the range, plus all the jets are OEM Honda & Yamaha part numbers making them easy to order in from your local dealer or online etc.

- XR650R sprocket set ..... The XR650L has well known output shaft spline issues. Lots of torque, no cush drive and a sloppy/thin OEM sprocket make it prematurely wear the splines. Spudrider (zongshen TW guy as well) has well documented thread on installing a wider XR650R front sprocket. This allows for more spline engagement and totally fixes the OEM design issue. My bike had some wear so I upgraded both front and rear to the XR650R sprockets and it worked great.

I had a bunch more tweaks and mods done as well and the bike worked excellent and pulled like a freight train. Lots of roost and power wheelies galore, and it would eat up my friends DRZ400's on the open trails. It is a heavy/tall bike though so technical sections require some thought but the power/torque/grip was always available when needed.

#26 ·
I have a line on a real clean 2002 but i'm concerned about the seat height. Is there a range of adjustment available? Also is $3500 in the right range for this year? I have little details yet, miles etc but going by the closeup pics it looks very good. I want to go have a close look if I can find a way past the seat height assuming the price is in-line.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Last year I build/restored and modified a 2001 XR650L. It was a great bike, very easy to work on with a ton of "forum" support over on ADV rider and Thumper talk.

In stock form the bike worked great, but with a few mods and fresh top end and gearing change it was a torque monster. Also since it is aircooled machine it has a little more in common with the TW and is "stone axe reliable" once its flaws are addressed.

- FCR carb upgrade ...... best mod for this bike. The stock CV carb works OK and with a needle shim and slide drill out it is improved from stock. But the FCR!!!! Night and day mod. This completely changed the power feel and delivery. I used a 06 CRF450R carb with a combination of jetting detailed on Thumper Talk. The jetting was dialed in by a thumper talk member using a wide band O2 set up and was crisp and solid across the range, plus all the jets are OEM Honda & Yamaha part numbers making them easy to order in from your local dealer or online etc.

- XR650R sprocket set ..... The XR650L has well known output shaft spline issues. Lots of torque, no cush drive and a sloppy/thin OEM sprocket make it prematurely wear the splines. Spudrider (zongshen TW guy as well) has well documented thread on installing a wider XR650R front sprocket. This allows for more spline engagement and totally fixes the OEM design issue. My bike had some wear so I upgraded both front and rear to the XR650R sprockets and it worked great.

I had a bunch more tweaks and mods done as well and the bike worked excellent and pulled like a freight train. Lots of roost and power wheelies galore, and it would eat up my friends DRZ400's on the open trails. It is a heavy/tall bike though so technical sections require some thought but the power/torque/grip was always available when needed.

Reactions: kj7687
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.