TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just joined the forum a couple weeks ago and picked up my brand new TW200 last weekend. I started out by adding the standard ATV high bar and new foot pegs. Just got finished and the bar is so much better!

Only problem is I got some IMS Super Stock pegs and, while they went on fine, they won’t flip up. They move maybe 30-45 degrees and then bind up. I’m planning on grinding them down this weekend, but I got to thinking - I don’t even know why they flip up. I’m obviously a complete rookie, but I googled it, searched the forum here, and couldn’t come up with anything.

Can someone enlighten me as to why the footpegs fold up in the first place? I’m guessing it has something to do with laying the bike down and the pegs not catching...but I really have no idea!

Like I said, planning to grind em down so they’ll flip but I had to ask.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you hit a stump, rock, stick, dirt, or your own bodily part, it will fold up rather than bend. Or stop you in your tracks!
Thanks....I knew it must be something along those lines.....just commuting the rest of the week, then it's looking like I've got a weekend full of rain to get it sorted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I've got maybe another dumb question......I'm full of those! How much rotation is 'enough' for the footpegs? Ive got a couple inches, but do I need full rotation to a 'folded up' position? I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't really want to grind my new pegs if I don't have to, but I'll do it if it's a safety issue!

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Mine fold up only about 30 degrees, enough to make bike a bit narrower when needed in a crowded trailer or mini pick up bed. Never considered them inadequately articulated.

Reactions: Badgerflorida

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mine fold up about the same as Fred’s. I also have IMS pegs. For me, it’s enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info y’all! My powersport experience is limited to snowmobiles a one cruiser way (way) back, so this forum has already been really helpful for learning about my TW.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Mine fold up about 40 degrees, I doubt there is much advantage going beyond that. I have most definitely used ALL of that range a few times! :eek:
You would not have to grind more than a little to get to that, if at all.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Good answers here. And no question is dumb. Cheers

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Good answers here. And no question is dumb. Cheers
badger,
what kind of oil should i use?

is the stock front tire the best?

hey sierrastalker,

there's quite a few of us in the south/midbay and even more within a two hour radius. we try and get a couple of rides in every season summer-autumn. keep your eyes peeled for postings announcing "norcal nutjobs"
welcome to the forum.

joe band

·
Registered
967 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! Stick with conventional wet clutch motorcycle oil for the first 1500 or more miles - allowing good seating of metal internals on this older designed motor, then you can switch to synthetic wet clutch motorcycle oil - the better and way safer front tire is a SR241 - you will hear plenty about the stock "deathwing" front tire...

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
Good point Don. Those twisty Santa Cruz mountain roads can place cornering demands not easily managed by the stock DeathWing...toss in a little dew on a fog shrouded road, a bit of slippery redwood duff on the outside of a corner and those foot pegs might really be folding up.

Joeband and the rest of the Bay Area gang are really nice folks worth getting to know. Why not go a ride or two or three together through Big Basin and the like, maybe see who can drag their footpegs on China Grade and other narrow twisties that see little traffic.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I got the big boy pegs too. Just the cheap ones from cyclegear. I used the stock springs and they fold up all the way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info and everyone being so welcoming. Yeah joeband, I'd definitely be into joining up for a group ride. I'll keep an eye out! I'm ready for some sunny weather so I can get out and explore the SC mountains......I've been spending too much time on Google maps/earth and not enough on my bike!

Donzo - thanks for the info on oil/tire. I've already been looking at tire threads like crazy. I don't even want to know about why it's nicknamed the "Death Wing"........I want to avoid that altogether.

I'm also quickly figuring out that it was easier with my wife to bring the bike home than it has been bringing home all the upgrades! "What's that?" "I thought the idea of a new bike was that you wouldn't have to work on it all the time?"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh....and it seems like the consensus is don't grind em? I've got enough folding action?

I used the stock springs, but it's definitely not the springs that are stopping the folding - it's the profile of the footpeg itself and would definitely require grinding if I want them to fold all the way....or even half way.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point Don. Those twisty Santa Cruz mountain roads can place cornering demands not easily managed by the stock DeathWing...toss in a little dew on a fog shrouded road, a bit of slippery redwood duff on the outside of a corner and those foot pegs might really be folding up.

Joeband and the rest of the Bay Area gang are really nice folks worth getting to know. Why not go a ride or two or three together through Big Basin and the like, maybe see who can drag their footpegs on China Grade and other narrow twisties that see little traffic.
I went for a ride on Sunday on some twisty Santa Cruz mountain roads, and got a face full of hail. It was completely covering the road for several miles, but luckily the Death Wing didn't live up to it's name this time!

Oh, and I ended up grinding my pegs and they fold all the way up as far as the factory ones now. Next projects are the JNS LED headlight that arrives tomorrow, and headlight guard and handguards arrive Wednesday. Now I'm thinking about grip warmers after my cold ride Sunday!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts