TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be new to some of you, but it is to me, and I think it's pretty cool: Interactive Travel Map | United States Forest Service

It has almost all roads and trails, at least in my area, and it has CONTOURS!!! Glory Be! A National Forest map with contours AND roads/trails AND travel restrictions! I've been waiting 50 years for this. :p
Prints to a PDF, too. Check it out.

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
Somewhat helpful. Limited coverage with limited landmarks to assist in navigating to one's area of interest....typical government website, it almost works....tantalizingly interesting until it fails and re-boots back to beginning.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I haven't seen that behavior yet. Once it refused to expand the data on the left....closing and re-opening fixed that. I've only played with it for an hour or so. The coverage in my area seemed fine.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Very cool, another nice tool to add to the route-planning kit.

Unfortunately, there's "No Travel Data Available" for my local National Forest, the Coronado. I did check out some of the map of the Coconino and Kaibab to the North, for the areas that are populated it looks pretty helpful. Hopefully the blank areas will be populated with detailed and accurate data eventually.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
The basic Forest Service data can still helpfull in the "No Travel Data Available" regions as long as it is National Forest Land and can get website to navigate to area of interest.
Guess I need to play with it more, could not re-create limited data retrieval I made earlier for Tahoe National Forest (a no travel data available area). Better than their free flimsy MVUM maps but a far cry from ready usability of old fashioned paper National forest Service Maps. Most of the trails where I ride are unidentified with no route number signage in the field so the annual MVUM are mostly worthless anyways IMHO.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like I remember while mousing around at the state level or a little closer, I would get patches of "No Data Available", but when I zoomed in close the data magically appeared. It is possible that this is what appears before the server has time to retrieve the detailed data you want.
I'll have to play with it in other areas some more.

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
Yes, zooming in can sometimes reveal the basic cartographic data but not the travel data or interactive features.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, zooming in can sometimes reveal the basic cartographic data but not the travel data or interactive features.
Yes, after playing around outside of Idaho, I see you are correct....I just got lucky with the area I looked at first. Obviously the app is not ready for prime time. :mad:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Interesting, but I think I'll stick w/ google earth for now...
elime; I've used those forest service quads and found them a little restricting. Try mytopo.com they have enhanced waterproof quads w/ more detail, and are 1/2 again larger in area covered. There great, I have them for the areas I frequent. There a little More $ but worth it. I'm always pulling it out to see where THAT road goes, or where I am. Worth a look....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I rode one of the Town Creek loops yesterday. (near Penfield, GA) Had the whole thing to myself. First ride on a single-track trail! Will continue to use these maps; thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts