TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got this parts kit. It is an M11/9, semi-auto 9mm clone of the infamous MAC 10 that the anti's love to hate on. They've gotta hate this one even more since it has no paper trail and has never even been inside a gun store! :booty::D

M11_9kit.jpg

This is legal because the part that would be serialized and tracked doesn't exist yet; I've got to build it myself in my own backyard shop!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey WECSOG, that's cool. Thanks for sharing that. I've built a few similar items but longer. I'd love to do a pistol but due to Michigan's pistol registration, why build then have to register it? I want to do a TM 1911 but it will wait. Now here's another one I won't do until I move out of here which I'm hoping 2016 is the year. Wyoming's laws are very 2A friendly. Despite concerns, governor signs gun bill | Wyoming News | billingsgazette.com

My wife and I are seriously considering Wyoming for many reasons and this is one of them. Build suppressors at home and no tax stamps needed, what's not to like?

Nice Find

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been to Wyoming a few times on camping trips and such, and it is absolutely one of my favorite states.
Michigan is a pretty nice state, but it's infused with big city politics. Wyoming doesn't have any big cities.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Michigan is a pretty nice state, but it's infused with big city politics. Wyoming doesn't have any big cities.
Exactly! We're like new York and iIllinois but not quite to those extremes where you have a big liberal city that overruns the entire state's politics.

Fortunately Detroit keeps getting smaller. But I can't wait long enough for it to implode. We bail out Detroit for their budget woes, now we are bailing out flint both of which are very liberal.

Fabricate away my friend.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a MPA 930SST with my octane 45 and a 3 lug qd set up on it. Its a blast. We put a ATN xsight on it for sheets and grins.
Nice! I see you have an arm brace. I built an AR15 pistol and put one of those on it.

My intention for this M11 is to build the receiver and shoot it for awhile as a pistol, then eventually build a 16" barreled carbine upper and a detachable buttstock.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am in love with this set up but here in NY it is highly illegal. Too bad because I would have one in a heart beat.

Aero Survival Rifle Multi-Caliber Package

GaryL
That is basically an AR15, but it doesn't seem to have the buffer and spring assembly which just means that it uses a proprietary bolt/carrier assembly and cannot be configured as 5.56 or any of the other rifle cartridges the AR15 can accept. You can get barrels and bolt/carrier assemblies to convert an AR15 to 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, among others. So it would be very possible to build an AR15 with uppers for 9mm, .40, .45, 5.56, .300 Blackout, .50 Beowulf, etc, etc.

Ok, but how does that help you in NYS? Well, here's the thing: the SAFE Act specifies "detachable magazines" in the definition of an assault weapon. According to what I have been able to find (and not living there, I could be missing something), long guns that are not assault weapons don't have to be registered; and long guns that do not have detachable magazines are not assault weapons. Telescoping stocks, pistol grips etc. are only forbidden on assault weapons; not on other long guns. California has similar laws, and lots of folks there have AR15s with "bullet buttons" where the mag release must be depressed with the nose of a bullet, a screwdriver, punch or whatever, and cannot be depressed with a finger. I don't know if that is legal or not in NYS.
A safer option would be to leave out the mag catch altogether and secure the mag in place with a screw. Then it would not be a detachable magazine. So, have 10 round magazines for every caliber you have a conversion kit for, lock the mag in place with a screw, and pivot the rifle open to load the mag from the top.

But you probably can't even get an AR15 lower there. That's where 80% lowers come in. In my searching, it seems that it is not illegal to build your own, otherwise legal, gun in NYS (as in most of the country). If you build it so that it has never had a mag release nor provisions for one (fill in the release slot if any with JB Weld or whatever before finishing that lump into a receiver), then it was never an assault weapon.

Just something to think about. I'm not a lawyer and that's not legal advice, etc, etc.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
The non-removable magazines of "California Compliant" requirements just adds to the practical advantage of the good old fashioned M-1 Gerand and it's En Bloc stripper clips. ;)
Now if I can just figure out an excuse for why I still like the Winchester '94 in .30-.30......something about round nosed cartridges?

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
That is basically an AR15, but it doesn't seem to have the buffer and spring assembly which just means that it uses a proprietary bolt/carrier assembly and cannot be configured as 5.56 or any of the other rifle cartridges the AR15 can accept. You can get barrels and bolt/carrier assemblies to convert an AR15 to 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, among others. So it would be very possible to build an AR15 with uppers for 9mm, .40, .45, 5.56, .300 Blackout, .50 Beowulf, etc, etc.

Ok, but how does that help you in NYS? Well, here's the thing: the SAFE Act specifies "detachable magazines" in the definition of an assault weapon. According to what I have been able to find (and not living there, I could be missing something), long guns that are not assault weapons don't have to be registered; and long guns that do not have detachable magazines are not assault weapons. Telescoping stocks, pistol grips etc. are only forbidden on assault weapons; not on other long guns. California has similar laws, and lots of folks there have AR15s with "bullet buttons" where the mag release must be depressed with the nose of a bullet, a screwdriver, punch or whatever, and cannot be depressed with a finger. I don't know if that is legal or not in NYS.
A safer option would be to leave out the mag catch altogether and secure the mag in place with a screw. Then it would not be a detachable magazine. So, have 10 round magazines for every caliber you have a conversion kit for, lock the mag in place with a screw, and pivot the rifle open to load the mag from the top.

But you probably can't even get an AR15 lower there. That's where 80% lowers come in. In my searching, it seems that it is not illegal to build your own, otherwise legal, gun in NYS (as in most of the country). If you build it so that it has never had a mag release nor provisions for one (fill in the release slot if any with JB Weld or whatever before finishing that lump into a receiver), then it was never an assault weapon.

Just something to think about. I'm not a lawyer and that's not legal advice, etc, etc.
The NY Safe act say a gun is an assault weapon if it has a detachable magazine AND 1 or more of the following! Adjustable stock, Pistol grip, forward grip, flash supressor or threaded barrel end.

An AR 15 is out simply because of the pistol grip. My Ruger Ranch rifle is perfectly fine here unless I mess with other non standard stock options.

I could own an AR 15 if I had it before a certain date and registered it by the dead line. If the Aero survival rifle did not have the colapsing stock or the pistol grip it would be fine here. It would not however be a gun I would want because I like the back pack feature with all three calibers inside of it. If you are CCW with your Glock 9, 40 or 45 then the same mags would fit this rifle. Nice.

GaryL

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The NY Safe act say a gun is an assault weapon if it has a detachable magazine AND 1 or more of the following! Adjustable stock, Pistol grip, forward grip, flash supressor or threaded barrel end.
Right. My point is that if you build one with a non-detachable magazine, it cannot be an assault weapon even if it has all of the other listed features.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Right. My point is that if you build one with a non-detachable magazine, it cannot be an assault weapon even if it has all of the other listed features.
I am not too sure this is right Wecsog. Rifles with detach mags such as my Ruger Ranch and my Model 100 Winchester are legal because they don't have pistol grips or bayonet lugs. Some company makes a stock minus the pistol grip for the AR 15 which they claim makes it NY compliant however the AR is specifically listed as banned here in NY. Those who had them were allowed to register them up to a certain date and very few ever did so there are plenty of them here in NY but those would then be illegal firearms because they are not registered. Get busted with an illegal gun in NY and it is a felony if you get convicted and a felony conviction of any kind bans you from ever owning any guns in the entire nation. That my friend is the entire plan with the NY and many other NE states, bust you, convict you as a felon and problem solved so you can't ever own a gun again. The worst part in all of this is anyone who bought an AR or the parts to build one from a gun shop or on line probably has some form of registration of the sale when they bought it unless it was a private deal. They know who has these guns and they know who did not register them as assault weapons and they could knock on your door any time and say "Where is the AR you bought from Joe's guns shop 10 years ago that you never registered when the SAFE act took effect"? As much as I would like to own an AR or actually build one myself from the parts it just is not worth losing my rights to own guns. I am sure guys here in NY are hoping when we dump this AH Democrap Governor the SAFE act will be rescinded and their guns won't be illegal any more. My county Sheriff probably would not bother about the AR ban but the local police and the State Police sure as heck would.

GaryL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts