TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howsit folks,

Quick Intro
I'm a South African so in case you were unsure... Howsit means "hello" and "How are you". We use the term a lot in my home city Cape Town. If you live or have been to South Africa then you might agree that it is a beautiful country which is the reason i'm lucky enough to join all of you. I purchased a 1998 TDub from a friend for a steal and now my summer project is to get her going and see more of my "backyard"

Reason I'm Here
Primarily to use your collective knowledge of this machines ( and basic ) mechanics required to repair the bike,
and then to enjoy the ride and possibly ride with some members one day!

Details
I took her to the mechanic who wanted to take me for a ride( the overpriced ride) . So I denied him the chance to screw me and started my path of being hands on with my own machine. I have studied some of what I believe the problem is so hopefully you can make sense of my novice diagnosis. The Intake Valve rod has mushroomed. I haven't taken look myself but I gather that I will need a new intake valve and the tools required to do the job.

Questions
Do I need a new valve seal for this?
Will I need a new Adjuster Screw?
I will need a new head gasket... right?
What tools do I desperately need on such a low budget.
Is Ebay cheaper then yamaha directly.
What else should i check on the bike, it has been ridden for 6 months.

Below is the only guide I found for this job and it is not detailed enought for me to be confident

Replacing intake valve - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

So ya that wont be all from me unfortunately. any help would be appreciated and I'm happy to take pics/vid of my setup so everyone can be on this journey with me!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hello from Bel Air Maryland

I restored a 1988 last year which needed a lot of work, and I had a good motor. It gets expensive quick not to mention the tools I needed. See Project Black Widow.
If I would have had to pay a shop it would have not been cost effective.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Double check prices before ordering parts, some stuff on eBay is more expensive used than a new one from a dealer. Of course shipping to your location may change that. Many of use here have returned neglected bikes back to running, myself included, and we are always happy to help. Welcome to the group and I’ll take a look at some info for you tonight when I’m off work.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hi and welcome. Search for Cornelis’ Cornshield Rebuild project. He is from South Africa and I believe he rides more kilometers per year than any other TDuber (unofficial). He would probably be a wealth of info on sourcing parts in your area as he just did an extensive rebuild to 215 cc. Cheers.

·
Registered
13,807 Posts
Howdy ya'll (similar to your howsit folks).

Here are a couple threads which may help you with your mushroomed valve. Hopefully, you'll be able to see the pictures too.

Probably best to replace as many as the parts you can. I have reused my head gasket before so it can be reused but why chance it.

Tools you'll probably need besides the normal ones. You can obtain the actual special tools needed or possibly make your own as you'll see in the threads. I made a valve spring compressor tool out of a C-Clamp with a small metal grinder to crudely shape it. Tweezers came in handy when dealing with those little valve spring bits. Torque wrench when putting the head back on for sure.

Anyway, here are a couple of the threads which may help you out. Good luck.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/19075-head-cylinder-repair-notes.html

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/6642-valve-adjusting.html

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Cornelis is in Centurion. Are you anywhere near that? And Welcome to the forum!!

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
98's are the best year - all the teething problems are over, and you still get the kick start - better build quality too

Welcome to the board ....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welkom en hou gaan dit

Now I realize being from the Cape you most likely are not Afrikaans, but we do have some others on the forum who may be and we don’t get to use that historic language often.

I see you are one of only twenty South Africans identified on the forum map. It appears thr U.K. folks are in danger of being lapped.

To motocycle in the Cape Province is special. I have recently become aware of Cornelis’ reports and videoes and they are really good – please consider sharing yours.

Very good to have you here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello from Bel Air Maryland

I restored a 1988 last year which needed a lot of work, and I had a good motor. It gets expensive quick not to mention the tools I needed. See Project Black Widow.
If I would have had to pay a shop it would have not been cost effective.
Fortunately this bike does actually run (not sure if I confirmed this in my previous post), however it is tapping quite loudly which indicates the loose valve.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will take a look and learn as much as I can while I wait for the parts.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi and welcome. Search for Cornelis’ Cornshield Rebuild project. He is from South Africa and I believe he rides more kilometers per year than any other TDuber (unofficial). He would probably be a wealth of info on sourcing parts in your area as he just did an extensive rebuild to 215 cc. Cheers.
Sounds good I'll make sure to reach out thanks badger!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Howdy ya'll (similar to your howsit folks).

Here are a couple threads which may help you with your mushroomed valve. Hopefully, you'll be able to see the pictures too.

Probably best to replace as many as the parts you can. I have reused my head gasket before so it can be reused but why chance it.

Tools you'll probably need besides the normal ones. You can obtain the actual special tools needed or possibly make your own as you'll see in the threads. I made a valve spring compressor tool out of a C-Clamp with a small metal grinder to crudely shape it. Tweezers came in handy when dealing with those little valve spring bits. Torque wrench when putting the head back on for sure.

Anyway, here are a couple of the threads which may help
Thanks for the threads. Nice and technical! I think I'll Def look for a C clamp as I can think of a million uses for it. I Will probably end up borrowing a torque wrench from a friend. Hopefully once I have gone through the info I will be able to make a list of the parts I hope to replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I realize being from the Cape you most likely are not Afrikaans, but we do have some others on the forum who may be and we don’t get to use that historic language often.

I see you are one of only twenty South Africans identified on the forum map. It appears thr U.K. folks are in danger of being lapped.

To motocycle in the Cape Province is special. I have recently become aware of Cornelis’ reports and videoes and they are really good – please consider sharing yours.

Very good to have you here.
I'm not fluent in afrikaans but I still aspire to learn one day. A few months on the farm should sort me out. For now I'll stick to the forums standard so that everyone can take part. And yes and cannot wait to explore the area and put together some shots.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello Keganfinder,

I hope all the info on the TW200 forum helps you out.

As I am an avid fan of AMARULA
Amarula is a cream liqueur from South Africa. It is made with sugar, cream and the fruit of the African marula tree which is also locally called the Elephant tree or the Marriage Tree. It has an alcohol content of 17%

I am wishing you will send a bottle shipped via UPS to BLM Road 378 TW 200 Dry Camp Site MOAB UTAH USA. Please allow it time to get here and delivered on or near Mar 22, 2018. At the camp fire with a bunch of TW200's

We will all share this magnificent drink and toast to the international member base.

Signed Bill the patient. Known to heal TW200 sore muscles and body aches with Corona/limes and Bailey Irish Cream.

Just joking Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I am wishing you will send a bottle shipped via UPS to BLM Road 378 TW 200 Dry Camp Site MOAB UTAH USA. Please allow it time to get here and delivered on or near Mar 22, 2018. At the camp fire with a bunch of TW200's
lets keep an even trade balance... ask for a case of cream puffs and a wheel true job in return.

welcome to the forum and best of luck with your bike rebuild!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts