TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been eyeing TW's for years and always thought they would be a lot of fun. Been casually searching for a used one, but recently decided I couldn't take it anymore and had to have one. I started scouring craigslist for the last few months, wow are these things hard to come by.
Finally I found her.... A 2008 with just over 1,000 miles. The owner had used the bike to teach his daughter to ride and then It just sat there. I had to drive a couple hours round trip but it was worth it. The bike fired right up, had hardly any damage, a slight amount of corrosion from sitting, but was in great mechanical and cosmetic shape for the most part. $2,000 later and it was in my truck heading home. Around here (San Francisco Bay Area) that is a great deal as even Junkers bring more than that.
image.jpg
Here she is at home.

Gonna look great next to her little brother, a restored Yamaha 1978 Dt175e
image.jpg image.jpg

And a couple days later I find myself traveling the country roads through the redwood forest in the Santa Cruz mountains. I've got some pictures, but they are uploading upside down for some reason, I'll try again later.

Thanks to a great forum for the inspiration to buy one of these. I've had a lot of bikes over the years, but this one has to be the most fun yet! I've already begun the farklization, should be a blast getting her all setup!
Ride safe,

Dave

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome aboard. These little bikes are the crack of the motorcycle world. Sell the bike and get on with your life while you still can! If you continue down this road you will find yourself shopping for hickory shirts and suspenders while you are waiting for the 12 different dino and synthetic motor oils to break down in the partitioned skillet. The oil that retains it's viscosity longest wins! Only the very best oil goes in a TW. The divorce comes right around the period where you are trying to choose the proper front tire and the kid's college savings would fund a month long excursion to Moab, Utah. You have been warned

Tom

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Great find. You have a beautiful area to ride. Get yourself some JIS phillips screwdrivers before you bugger the heads of your phillips screws/bolts.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Nice!! Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Welcome, welcome! The 2008 is my favorite color combo. So nice! We'd love love to have you be part of the March 2016 Moab trip, and the 2016 TWWCCCA. Happy riding!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh cool, I actually work in Campbell! Thanks for the welcome guys! I just spent a few hours putting some goodies on the tdub. New barkbusters, folding shift lever, bar risers and new levers. This thing is like a Lego motorcycle, can't wait for my new skid plate and Jimbo shield.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dave!

Consider this as your personal invitation to become one of the local NorCal nutjobs! There are a bunch of good guys nearby who have gone a number rides and periodically get together to work on our bikes. Just let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

Brian

·
Registered
736 Posts
wow...that's a great price. Someone in my area had one those little 175 on CL for a long time, it was in nice shape too

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
two south bay newbies in a month? it's raining t-dubs?

keep riding those hills and you might cross paths with tony... those are his favorite areas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys! My wife would agree I definitely qualify as a nutjob! Would love to meet up for a ride sometime. I live just a bit south of the met calf motorcycle park so will probably test that place out pretty soon.

This little bike is addicting, I feel like my Harley is getting sad and neglected.
Ricochet skid plate arrived today, tool tube and an msr fuel can are in need of mounting. I also have the very last pair of TW200 DMO specialties footpegs on their way to me now. I was going to order a pair a few days ago but forgot, the next day the website said "Discontinued". Noooo Luckily I emailed Bill and he sent me an invoice and said he would send me he very last pair of footpegs for the TW. Hooray!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
anyone up for a metcalf ride this saturday or sunday? the place is nice a few days after rain, much better traction.

if you've never been there, its not the biggest place and has a few tricky, buttpucker inducing trails, including one i avoid (i've done it several time, i don't think once without falling. it's the ledge you go down i don't like). a couple of steep downhills that i always lock up my rear brake, a few handlebar rattling rocky sections, some great ruts... but for a quick fix it scratches the itch. i can get there ride an 1 1/2 hrs and still be home by 10 am.

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/pages/motorcyclecountypark.aspx

not my video, but shows some of the conditions. i've ridden every trail shown here... 3:40 is the section i don't like. it's steeper than it looks. when i go in the morning i've never seen more than two other riders out and never had anyone near me or pass me. my tdub has been great there with no problems.

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
That looks like fun...and a lot warmer. Most of the trails look very similar to the desert hill riding territory around here. Except for the oak tree's there! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, cool video. That place does look like fun, I'm on duty all weekend otherwise I'd meet up with you and learn the ropes of that place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts