TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I went to look at someone's XT350 they had for sale. When I got there I saw the TW200 wheel sticking out from behind the guy's truck.

We ended up talking for four hours about various things and I ended up buying the TW200 since I'd been seriously considering getting one last year, but then decided I needed something bigger to ride on the highway. Lo and behold, the TW was priced out at half the price of the XT350 and I know the TWs are a lot easier to move if you decide you don't like it a year later. Long story short, it's a 1993 (he told me it's a 1991, but the VIN begs to differ) that has 3500 miles on it.

Do any of you on here recognize it? Someone painted the tank, fenders, and side panels black. Otherwise it looks fairly un-modified.

I currently own about eight other bikes including a couple of Suzuki TS250 enduros (two stroke, street legal.) The Suzukis are what got me thinking about bikes that can go faster than 55mph so I could actually leave the county and get out into the middle of nowhere. Hopefully the TW is capable of that. I've seen photos, and I know you guys wind up all over the place

My wife isn't happy due to the amount of bikes that already occupy the garage, but I might try to get her on the TW200 to ride it since it's got a low seat.

I wanted to stop in and say, 'Hey.' Out of all the bikes I own, the TW, by far is going to be the simplest to maintain and work on. And if it hasn't been messed with too much, it probably won't need to be worked on that much.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The Suzuki TS250s are really nimble and it's fun to ride two stroke stuff in traffic. I own Vespa scooters and a couple of 650 twins (one is a restoration project.)

The Kawasaki W650 is for my highway needs when I have to leave town. I'm hoping that the TW can handle 55 - 60mph and not wear the engine out. I'm 160 pounds, so hopefully I'm won't be overtaxing it. My wife has a modern Vespa 150 that I have ridden cross-state before and it did fine.

I like riding all sorts of stuff and the TW is more or less for me to go wandering in the country with my camera and my thoughts.

Registered
Nice score. If you are going to do a lot of 55 60 driving I would drop a few teeth on the rear sproket. I weigh a hundred pounds more than you and it does just fine and the engine doesn't have to scream at speed. My wife's is stock, but she needs the lower gearing. Doesn't drive over 25 lol. Vibration will be almost eliminated.

Registered
Hey fello Iowa native! FWIW my stock geared '09 does not sound real happy at 55. I'll be re-gearing this spring. Feel free to get in touch. From Waverly, IA

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I'm down in Ames. I'll have to figure out what gearing works best for me once I start riding it. Compared to my other bikes with X ring chain requirements, this looks cheap to buy sprockets and chains for.

I don't pick the bike up til Wednesday, but I'll be going through it entirely the night I drag it home. New fuel lines, new spark plug, oil change, and I'll probably pull the chain to clean it and check the sprockets out. And if the gas tank needs any love, I'll clean it. If it's rusty, I'll put some Red Kote in there.

My wife is wanting to sell her Vespa, which I use to ride to work since it gets 75mpg. The TW will probably end up being my daily driver when it's not raining.

Registered
Welcome neighbor. I believe I saw the ad for that one. Good find! Don't worry about running the bike at 55. I considered changing sprockets but I have found that it is plenty capable for the kind of riding I enjoy. I have been enjoying mine on back roads around here. I used to live in Ames and I am now just down the road an hour from you. Look me up if you want to do some riding.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
What's funny is that XT350 I went to look at was a cold sell on Craigslist. He said he'd only had three people bother to ask about it. Meanwhile the TW was getting hits from people out of state and over 50 emails in two days.

I wasn't even looking for one, but if you wave one under my nose, well...

The ads were just text with no photos. I just happened to be the first guy to show up and not act weird in front of the seller.

I'm looking forward to the bike. I'm not sure my personality matches it well, but maybe I need an attitude adjustment anyway, haha.

Registered
Add another crazy person on the dub site. Check your sprockets while cleaning...... Count the teeth.. Stock is 14/50.......... I went with the 14/47 combo..... Makes 1st gear more useable, and it lowers the rpm's at 55 and above.......OMM.

Super Moderator
I'm down in Ames. I'll have to figure out what gearing works best for me once I start riding it. Compared to my other bikes with X ring chain requirements, this looks cheap to buy sprockets and chains for.

I don't pick the bike up til Wednesday, but I'll be going through it entirely the night I drag it home. New fuel lines, new spark plug, oil change, and I'll probably pull the chain to clean it and check the sprockets out. And if the gas tank needs any love, I'll clean it. If it's rusty, I'll put some Red Kote in there.

My wife is wanting to sell her Vespa, which I use to ride to work since it gets 75mpg. The TW will probably end up being my daily driver when it's not raining.

what ever you do, if you replace the oil filter make sure you get the right one. It must have the four holes in it like this. The factory has mislabeled several boxes of this filter.

enjoy your new ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know about the filter! I just looked it up and it looks like the 'wrong' one has no holes around the center and can damage the cylinder head?

I'm definitely going to count the sprocket teeth to see what all has been modified on the bike before getting too crazy with ordering parts. The only thing that doesn't work is the kill switch, which should be easy enough to fix. The only weird 'mods' I noticed were LED brake lights that flash, and someone sawed off the lower rear fender and mounted the license plate to the rack, up high (not legal since there's no white light shining upon it.)

Registered
Welcome!.....yea,the oil filter issues have cost some TW'ers alot of $$$$!. Have fun....the TW will do 55-60 mph just fine,it might sound like it's going to blow,but it won't.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly, I'm pretty much a meticulous, 'stage zero' guy. To me, the zen moment of owning used motorcycle is getting them at or above the reliability of a new bike. Bringing them back from the neglect they have had and making them start well even on the coldest of days.

My plans are to clean the carb and possibly shim the needle to make it start and run smoother. It needs new fuel line, an oil change with my favorite "universal old motorcycle oil" (Shell Rotella 15/40 diesel oil.)

The only mods I can think of at the moment are that I'd like to do something with the headlight, speedo, and dummy lights. I'd love a round headlight (or a dual round headlight, ala Triumph Speed Triple Bates style duals) and round analog gauges (speedo and an electrical signaled, but analog needle tachometer.)

I'm going to research my options for aftermarket speedo/tach combo. It just doesn't feel like a motorcycle without a tachometer to me, but historically I have owned street bikes rather than dual sport.

Check out the gas tank.. Even though it's been painted with black lawn furniture paint, the inside looks brand spanking new:

Registered
Oh you are goin' to fit in here nicely................. Lots of bikes, Some of us don't even have room for cars in the garage. (o; Good luck on your project. OMM.

Registered
an oil change with my favorite "universal old motorcycle oil" (Shell Rotella 15/40 diesel oil.)

Congratulations on the new bike. I was just looking through the owner's manual I ordered, and it says;

"Do NOT use oils with a diesel specification of "CD" or oils of a higher quality than specified."

I guess it causes clutch slippage. They recommend SAE 10W-40 or 20W-50. Just passin' it on.

Kenny

1 - 20 of 23 Posts