TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from NM.
I picked up this 1989 TW a couple of months ago and have slowly been going through it to make it a reliable cruiser.
It looked like it had been drug from a swamp when I got it. Surface rust all over including the plastics but it did start and idle.
So far it has needed a set of forks from ebay, a new front brake cable, a voltage regulator, a used front tire and a bit of carb tuning. It now purrs and is a complete hoot to ride.

tw200.jpg

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum!! :D
Hello from NM.
I picked up this 1989 TW a couple of months ago and have slowly been going through it to make it a reliable cruiser.
It looked like it had been drug from a swamp when I got it. Surface rust all over including the plastics but it did start and idle.
So far it has needed set of forks from ebay, a new front brake cable, a voltage regulator, a used front tire and a bit of carb tuning. It now purrs and is a complete hoot to ride.

View attachment 123833

Registered
Welcome to a new member hailing from the Land of Enchantment.
We鈥檒l let you post a few more times before teasing you about installing a used stock front tire. Perhaps you鈥檝e read us refer to the front TrailWing tire as a 鈥淒eathWing鈥 due to it鈥檚 poor handling compared to some other tires.
Keep doing whatever it takes, time and budget permitting, to finish the resurrection of that fine 鈥89

Registered
Welcome from the Sacramentos near Cloudcroft. I kept seeing a TW in front of our local auto parts store and always ignored it, till I got the bug for one. Alas, some smart mountain maven beat me to it so I bought a new one.

I have four old Yams in the garage to go with the new TW, keeping relics running is always a challenge, but fun. Have a blast.
Richard

Registered
Welcome from Bel Air Maryland. I know what it takes to bring these old bikes back from years of abuse. I restored a 1988 last year. Enjoy

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow what a welcome! Thanks all.
The rust on the plastic still has me scratching my head. Best I can figure is it was leaning up against some metal.
The front tire is a Dunlap d606.

Richard I see you have a 71' at1. I have a 71' ct1 that needs an engine and a bunch of other work.
The grandfather of enduros.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
nobade- thanks for that.

Badgerflorida- yes the float was set too low, engine was sputtering at speed from lack of fuel. Also the pilot screw was set only 1/4 turn out. Now at 1.5 turns out idle is much smoother.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts