TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! This is my first post, and hopefully the beginning of many!

I was bored today and decided to stop by the local powersports shop. Iv been wanting to get on another bike since I sold my Sportster 2 years ago. I was looking at a used '03 Honda Shadow and the dealer was running the numbers with me. I put my hands behind my head and leaned back in my seat as he jotted down numbers. I looked over and there sat a brand new 2015 TW200. I pointed and said, "What about that dirt bike there?" He kinda chuckled and said, "O, that T-Dub there? Thems neat bikes too". So I hopped up and started looking it over. At first glance, it looked like one rough riding death wish. So I asked him: hows this thing ride? He said it rides like its on rails. I perked up a bit. He says, it rides good, is super stable, gets 80 mpg, yada yada yada. So I had him run those numbers also.

Shadow: $3090 (2003 w/ 16K miles)
TW200: $5370
(both out the door. Tax, title, everything included)

My biggest fear is this: I am 6' 3" 200 lbs. Im a fairly big guy. My biggest complaint on my sportster was leg room and comfort. I noticed you guys like to customize, so I wouldn't have any issues customizing the foot pegs to my likings. But how do these things do on the highway? The first mod Id do would be a +1 sprocket to gain some high end. It wont be a highway queen but itll be used on road more than off. Also, how many of you guys have riders? My gf sat on it with me and it wasn't "terrible" but some first hand experience would be nice. And any other info you guys want to throw in would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Seems awful high on the TW. Where are you located? I have a beautiful Sportster up for sale for less than that. Did you have forward controls on the Sportster? You can take the TW almost anywhere, but the freeway. 55-60 all day is ok, 65-70 not so much.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It's not a good highway bike it's happier at 55 than 70. It's a fun machine great on dirt roads, fire roads and around town. Mines more off than on road and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Those prices seem high.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
In all honesty, given your size and weight (I'm 6' and 225) and the fact you are looking for primarily a road bike, and the fact that you appear to want to ride two up with your girlfriend, I don't think the TW is anywhere near your best choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems awful high on the TW. Where are you located? I have a beautiful Sportster up for sale for less than that. Did you have forward controls on the Sportster? You can take the TW almost anywhere, but the freeway. 55-60 all day is ok, 65-70 not so much.

Welcome to the forum!
Im in southern IL. The Shadow was in the right price range (they seem to go for $3-4000 around here) but I wasn't sure on the TW since this was the first one Iv seen.

I talked to the better half: she said she probably wont ride on it much anyhow, especially for anything longer than around town. Which is good in a sense. So Ill be solo 90% of the time. We both actually fit on it pretty good. I think I read somewhere theyre good for 400 lbs? Even both of us put together doesnt weigh 400

And that was MSRP on the TW Im sure. That's certainly not what Im paying for it lol. Im a better negotiator than that!

·
Registered
281 Posts
In all honesty, given your size and weight (I'm 6' and 225) and the fact you are looking for primarily a road bike, and the fact that you appear to want to ride two up with your girlfriend, I don't think the TW is anywhere near your best choice.
Agree with this statement. However, since you're already keen on the TW, let her ride it a while and see if she likes it - then you can get a second one and have a 'his' & 'hers' pair. That way she will more than a mere passenger on future outings / trails and as a fellow rider, she'll be more keen to go along. You will be far less likely to counter any resistance when you want to go riding! ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
For around town, it's a good bike. I weigh around 340lbs and flog and beat my TW all the time. It never complains and just goes faster and faster.. ;)

She say's that now, but just wait till she sees you smiling all the time returning from your rides, then you will have to get her one too. It happens all the time around here. One just isn't enough. Check out TWilights offer. He is a man of integrity and honesty and you can count on him.

Reactions: Hekkler

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't bought it yet lol. She sat on it with me at the dealership. And as it turns out, he WAS trying to sell it to me for MSRP. I think I may go in there and explain I really don't need a bike (which is kinda true lol) and the sound of $5000 OTD plus that extra tooth sprocket installed sounds a lot better!

Yea, shes not one of the more adventurous type lol. I give it a 1% chance she will want one of her own lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm in northern Illinois and might be willing to part with my 2013 with 1500 miles for a lot less than that.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Info on TWilight's bikes if you are interested.

From one of his previous posts.
Crowman, welcome to the greatest show on earth :eek:ccasion1:, and.....regarding pricing, it all depends on location, and time of year. In thee Great Pacific Northwest, where TW200s are in demand, they fetch a slightly higher price than in some areas of the country. It is not unheard of for a new TW to go for full retail, or close to it. You may want to search for a NEW....2013 or 2014, as they are all the same, just different colors for different years. They have been some very slight changes over the last 28 years this bike has been made...kick starter versus no kick starter...things like that, but since 2001 I think thay are all the same, except color.

So, look for a 2013 or 2014, at a discounted price...a dealer wanting to clean out old inventory, and bring in something newer. Yet, back here...in thee Great Pacific Northwest....even a new 2013 goes for close to full price.

Now, if you seriously want a TW, there are some on this forum for sale, that have already had nice improvements made to them. Example....I have a 2013 TW200 with less than 600 miles on it.....Clarke 2.7 gallon fuel tank on it, Borrega rear rack, Moose Racing aluminum hand guards, 15 tooth front sprocket, Jimbo windshield, and other improvments....for $ 4,500.00

The bike has close to $ 1,000.00 in aftermarket improvements done to it, not including any labor, because I do all my own work. A new one, with taxes and license, with all these improvements to it, could cost you..in Ohio...about $ 6,500.00

I also have a 2014 TW200, "race ready".....ridden in Moab last week, proven that it can ride over top of other downed riders :eek:, and it can be bought for $ 5,000.00. I can tell you that I have over $ 6,000.00 total into that machine, and it is a real off-road ready bike...Clarke tank, Shinko Golden Boy front tire, ScottOiler for oiling the chain, 15 tooth front sprocket, Borrega Rear rack, ProTaper SE handlebars, Pro grips, aluminum hand guards and foam wind guards, Kick starter kit, Jimbo windshield, etc, etc, etc.

So, if you want a TW that is already prepped.....talk to me. If you want to do all the prepping yourself, at a much higher cost, then find one in Ohio or Indiana.

BTW, because Borneo and Hoot live in those two states, I could be convinced to deliver either one of these bikes to you...or both of them, if you want to buy one for the Misses, like a lot of us do.

Mike :hello:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was hoping to not have to travel to get one lol. Ill go into the dealership and see what kind of deal they can make before driving 100+ miles

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm 6'2"-225 and I get along on it fine. While NOT a highway bike, your +1 sprocket on the front would help. You would probably have to do a longer chain at the same time, don't know if the adjusters would let you add a tooth? I would put an x-ring chain on it immediately anyway. I would think you could get out the door for $47-4800, maybe not in your area- good thing you waited till spring! LOL. Middle of winter you could have fed the starving dealers about 4k OTD. Don't be leery of a used one either, they're bullet proof.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not sure where you all are located but in the northeast (USA) 2014 leftovers are under $4000 and used 2012-2014 with low miles are $3000.

Mark F.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just bought a new leftover 2014, and love it. I am 5'9 and about 290 lbs. I took it off road for 1st time today, and even though I do mostly road riding I don't think I'm going to mess with the stock gearing. I would take a TW over a used Shadow for boppin around on which is mostly what I do, but if you're going to be bringing your better half along with you a lot, and taking longer trips, you may want something more road friendly and comfortable. You can make them more comfortable, I installed bigger pegs and plan to get a seat pad.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Im in southern IL. The Shadow was in the right price range (they seem to go for $3-4000 around here) but I wasn't sure on the TW since this was the first one Iv seen.

I talked to the better half: she said she probably wont ride on it much anyhow, especially for anything longer than around town. Which is good in a sense. So Ill be solo 90% of the time. We both actually fit on it pretty good. I think I read somewhere theyre good for 400 lbs? Even both of us put together doesnt weigh 400

And that was MSRP on the TW Im sure. That's certainly not what Im paying for it lol. Im a better negotiator than that!
I've done a lot of two up riding on the TW200, Our combined weight with gear with stuff, is about 340 pounds. Weight has never been a factor. The first thing that comes to mind negitive is seat comfort, We would get off bike every 20 miles for a break. Next is buzzing engine if driving near it's upper speeds over 50 MPH. Next is no wind protection out on open roads. This bike is good for short commutes or touring on slow back country roads speeds under 50MPH. The bike is at its best on a trail as other people know. The bike is fun for sure but comfort long distance is not it's strong point in STOCK FORM. You may be more suited for a KLR650 Kawasaki. They can be had at a very good price even new.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Personally, I would go with a TW. They are like all say great for short runs and terrific off road. If you need to go cruising keep a sharp eye out, you can pick up one fairly reasonable. Most likely less than what you will pay for a TW. I have too many, but each has it's points. 2 TW's a Vulcan 1500 and a Goldwing. Great rides each, just do well for what they are designed for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts