TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I am new to the forum, I have been cruising around the forum trying to learn about the bike I just bought. I picked up a 2015 TW200 with 61 miles on it for a cheap price. Well I found out why, there was a mouse condo in the airbox. Fortunately they didn't make it past the metal screen in the airbox. However they did chew up the rubber duct that leads down to the filter, and some of the plastic on the airbox. I ordered some new parts, my question is when I was taking apart the airbox I noticed there was some sealant on the boot flange that goes from the airbox to the carb. Also there was some sealant on the plastic plate containing the metal screen where it attaches to the airbox. Does anyone know what the OEM sealant is? Is it yamabond, it was very "stringy" when the parts were pulled part. I would like to use the same stuff for the repair.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I do not know what sealant is used by the factory, but would expect heat tolerant silicone rubber to work fine on a clean surface.

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think it is a silicone paste like plumbers use. Welcome! You might want to look in the carb and make sure thats not the mouse pantry where they store all the seeds and pilfered dog food!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome. Cost , I'm not sure of , but , I'd go ahead and buy a whole new assembly for piece of mind. Trying to figure out the OEM adhesive or what not is time consuming etc. This way , there's no doubt it's correct. Also , a concoction of red pepper powder in water and sparingly applied deters critters. Auto manufacturers went to a plant based wire harness years ago. Folks were complain of these harnesses being destroyed by critters ( hence , a food source for them). The remedy was red pepper adhesive type applied to the new installed harness......FYI.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
A little 1/4 inch hardware cloth inserted in the intake snorkel should keep the mice out. Thinner wire they can chew through, and mesh bigger than 1/4" can allow many mice species to wiggle through. Mothballs, Pine Sol, and pepper solutions can all be good deterrents. Same for cats.:p f7jUODM.jpg

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Since you mention red pepper remedies: When I lived in an apartment I put the motorcycle cover on my bike. The cats would get under it, spray my bike, I was ticked. I started sprinkling red pepper around it. I think they must have thought I was doing voodoo in the parking lot with all the red circles around my bike. My bike never got messed with either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts